Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Right, where to buy an Anorthosis Famagusta shirt from....?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Not quite, Derynia is the village south of Varosha, which is fenced off by the Turkish Army - and the ghost town. Derynia overlooks Varosha but is not occupied (although some is in the Buffer Zone).

Varosha was systematically looted by the Turkish Army soon after it was occupied, and stripped of everything that wasn't nailed down. The car showroom of legend was/is I understand, in Nicosia, in the Buffer Zone, not occupied Varosha which was cleared out of everything within weeks of the Turkish Army moving in. There's no way they would have left brand new cars when they were loading fridges on boats back to Turkey days after they rolled in. People think its Famagusta as that's what the shipping details of the cars are listed as, and Famagusta was the port they came in to.

Be interested to find out if anyone knows more though.

Of course, Varosha. It's fascinating to see the crumbling ruins which are in plain sight from the beach, and all around the perimeter on the north side, not so easy to get close from the south, if you go to Derynia there are a number of viewing points set up by opportunist residents. As I said, we've spoken with a UN chap, as well as a lot of locals as we know a few. Most will tell you that they, or their friends have snuck through the fence for a look, and some who previously lived there have tried to retrieve items. The sad thing is there is so much enthusiasm to deal with the buildings, but a vocal minority in the south (lead by the church) won't permit it. it gets very messy when they get involved, when they had the referendum on reunification a few years back the church put up massive billboards by the motorways on the days leading up to the vote saying that you, and your families, will go to hell if you vote for reunification. :shrug:

Thoroughly recommend the north for a holiday, and it's easy enough to cross the border so flying to Larnaca is no problem.

As for watching CY football it's a bit of a mess due to hooliganism. My brother, who lives in Larnaca used to watch Anorthosis as his chosen team, but in recent years the levels of violence has escalated so badly that he refuses to go any more. I've been to a few matches with him in Larnaca and Nicosia, all good fun, but in recent years it's just got too grim. Big problems with corruption in the game too, mafia types, betting scams, the cup final a couple of years ago was played in a 4000 capacity stadium and they hired in referees from Central Europe to try and ensure an unrigged result. After about 60 minutes so many missiles were landing on the pitch the referee called the players off the pitch, after ten minutes or so the game was abandoned with the cup being cancelled for the season. the guys we were watching it with in the pub said that it would be re started as there was too much money involved, sure enough, 45 minutes later the referee brought the players out and they played the rest of the game.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Of course, Varosha. It's fascinating to see the crumbling ruins which are in plain sight from the beach, and all around the perimeter on the north side, not so easy to get close from the south, if you go to Derynia there are a number of viewing points set up by opportunist residents. As I said, we've spoken with a UN chap, as well as a lot of locals as we know a few. Most will tell you that they, or their friends have snuck through the fence for a look, and some who previously lived there have tried to retrieve items. The sad thing is there is so much enthusiasm to deal with the buildings, but a vocal minority in the south (lead by the church) won't permit it. it gets very messy when they get involved, when they had the referendum on reunification a few years back the church put up massive billboards by the motorways on the days leading up to the vote saying that you, and your families, will go to hell if you vote for reunification. :shrug:

Thoroughly recommend the north for a holiday, and it's easy enough to cross the border so flying to Larnaca is no problem.

As for watching CY football it's a bit of a mess due to hooliganism. My brother, who lives in Larnaca used to watch Anorthosis as his chosen team, but in recent years the levels of violence has escalated so badly that he refuses to go any more. I've been to a few matches with him in Larnaca and Nicosia, all good fun, but in recent years it's just got too grim. Big problems with corruption in the game too, mafia types, betting scams, the cup final a couple of years ago was played in a 4000 capacity stadium and they hired in referees from Central Europe to try and ensure an unrigged result. After about 60 minutes so many missiles were landing on the pitch the referee called the players off the pitch, after ten minutes or so the game was abandoned with the cup being cancelled for the season. the guys we were watching it with in the pub said that it would be re started as there was too much money involved, sure enough, 45 minutes later the referee brought the players out and they played the rest of the game.

Not only Football,until recently Marcus Weedon a mate of mine was Chief Steward at Nicosia Race Course. He was sent out to clear up corruption . One night in January as he left the Course he had shots fired at him and decided to leave not long after.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
yes, that is the story, likewise the BHS store still had clothes in it. Now I only have the word of a UN soldier(?) we met a few years back in Cyprus that it was a great story, but for sure there are no cars there now, and if they were there, they weren't there for very long.

Yes. Like many things, the basis for the story was probably true, but over the years it got exaggerated somewhat!

What definately IS true, is that very soon NO BHS store will have any clothes in it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here