Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Right then Space Cadets Who is Saving up for An Apple VR Headset?

Will you be buying an Apple VR Headset

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Waiting for the glossy launch to make my mind up

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 65 94.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The "Reality Pro" by all accounts.

$2,000-$3,000 for something a bit better than the Oculus Quest, but requiring a separate battery pack to power it just sounds very un-Apple-y to me as they're not adding refinement and polish to an existing product category that has proven and demonstrated demand.

I just can't see how it's a success unless some killer app for VR/AR is about to come along.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
All this VR stuff never really bothered me. Then I purchased a kitchen from Wren and, after days of designing it, I was taken into a VR room and there was my kitchen in full. I could walk around it as if it was there. So tempted to buy the full Sony PS with F1 full kit, but never did.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All this VR stuff never really bothered me. Then I purchased a kitchen from Wren and, after days of designing it, I was taken into a VR room and there was my kitchen in full. I could walk around it as if it was there. So tempted to buy the full Sony PS with F1 full kit, but never did.
My son has the Oculus/Meta Quest 2 and it is impressive the first time you pop it on and use it. I think most first time users of a decent VR device will have a bit of a "Wow!" moment, but it still feels a bit of a novelty for me. If you can afford it, a few hundred quid gives you a decent experience of it without breaking the bank. If the Apple Reality Pro is in the thousands of dollars/pounds, it just strikes me as far too expensive to tempt people.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
VR remains a gimmick, I used a friend’s Oculus Rift and a different friend’s PSVR, neither of which impressed me at all. I am not somebody who gets motion sickness easily, but ten minutes of one of those things has me dizzy and nauseous.

Most games try to mitigate this by having you “teleport” from spot to spot, as fast movements are a recipe for reintroducing your last meal all over the sofa. This makes all experiences feel exactly the same and not a patch on the current gen experience with a TV and controller.

Oh and most games need you to stand up. f*** that. I play games to unwind and relax, not swing my arms around standing up in my living room.

In short, they can reiterate VR as much as they want, but it can and will never work as anything other than a niche toy, a gimmick for Christmas Day.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Love the idea, we did some work for Pico last year and had fun testing them. Don't think I'd commit to buying anything but if we get some via work I'll be sure to take it home to test.

Reminds me of one of my favourite hashtags or subreddits VRtoER :ROFLMAO:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My son has the Oculus/Meta Quest 2 and it is impressive the first time you pop it on and use it. I think most first time users of a decent VR device will have a bit of a "Wow!" moment, but it still feels a bit of a novelty for me. If you can afford it, a few hundred quid gives you a decent experience of it without breaking the bank. If the Apple Reality Pro is in the thousands of dollars/pounds, it just strikes me as far too expensive to tempt people.
I've been quite surprised how often our Oculus Q2 has been played with over the last 18 months. Thought the novelty would wear off, but actually the only thing to wear has been the constant running down of the battery. Makes me feel a bit car sick tbh, but my boys love it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It didn't bother me either until I went to the World's End pub on London Road and played their VR games - utterly fantastic. Sadly I think Covid put paid to them continuing with it.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Happy with my Meta Quest but will definitely look to upgrade once the product goes a few generations deep.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Will be interesting to see how light / small it is. The upcoming Quest 3 from Meta is far slimmer than the current generation, but still looks bulky.

I've got a Quest 2, and it's great but definitely a gaming device above all else. I have tried a few productivity tools, but it's miles worse for work than just being in front of a standard monitor. Google Starline on the other hand... wow

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will be interesting to see how light / small it is. The upcoming Quest 3 from Meta is far slimmer than the current generation, but still looks bulky.
Presumably having an external battery pack will make it considerably lighter than devices like the Quest 2 that have also contain the battery.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
The "Reality Pro" by all accounts.

$2,000-$3,000 for something a bit better than the Oculus Quest, but requiring a separate battery pack to power it just sounds very un-Apple-y to me as they're not adding refinement and polish to an existing product category that has proven and demonstrated demand.

I just can't see how it's a success unless some killer app for VR/AR is about to come along.
It sounds very Apple-y to me as they're jumping on the back of an existing technology but acting like they've invented it.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I'm not likely to get VR any time soon. It's fun don't get me wrong but at the same time I don't think it's going to be massively useful when all I play is DOTA 2 and Football Manager.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It sounds very Apple-y to me as they're jumping on the back of an existing technology but acting like they've invented it.
Officially the device doesn't exist, not for a few more hours anyway. So I'm not sure they're acting like anything at all just yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here