Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm sure that either the FA or Premier League could sort out the issue if they want to but, in reality, I think we're going to need some changes in the laws, particularly offside, to make VAR work better.

Personally, I'd favour changing offside so that only the attacker's feet have to be ahead rather than any part of the body that you can legally score with.

The reality is that the vast majority of goals are scored with the feet and in a situation where an attacker is trying to spin away further from the goal he just has to be faster on his feet to make it count, if you get my meaning?!

Would mean you wouldn't have to draw all these ridiculous lines all over players' anatomy, just a simple line across the field as TV does, which would make decision making much quicker and simpler.

I'd also look again at the offside law in relation to the build up. Seems ridiculous to me that a goal can be chalked off because of a minor transgression though the ball has been played by several players since.

Not sure how you solve the latter issue.

Would also introduce a strict and short time limit as suggested by other posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree about the FA and Prem League. PGMOL have them over a barrel. When do you ever see the PGMOL not back one of their officials? When Son was sent off following the Gomez incident, there was an instant release by the PGMOL to justify the sending off because 'his tackle had put the player in danger'. This was backed up by a similar statement from the Prem League, effectively supporting the PGMOL position. Yet it doesn't stand up to scrutiny because you could argue every tackle puts a player in danger as you have no idea how that player may be injured in the subsequent fall. Both were saying that Son was sent off because of the outcome (much like Stephens at Borough) rather than the foul.

The PGMOL hold all the cards because without match officials we have no matches!!!

With regard to rule changes, I believe these need to be agreed by the IFAB so the FA and/or Prem League cannot do anything unilaterally.

It seems that the PL are two years behind most leagues in introducing VAR and in all cases it took time to bed in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50392207

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't know if this has been mentioned already in the thread but I haven't come across it and it certainly hasn't been emphasised.

Between the time the free kick was taken, with Burn's possible minuscule offside, and the actual goal there was nearly 15 seconds of play. And arguably two separate passages of play.

How far back can VAR go to find an infringement to disallow a goal ??? Doesn't it have to be in the same passage of play ?

That seems to have been ignored by everyone. Doesn't seem to be any clear guidelines as to how far or what passages of play can take place. Later in the game, the lino failed to flag for Murray who was offside and we won a corner. Had we scored from that it would have been an injustice. Similarly, Everton scored shortly after a corner that should have been a goal kick. Should VAR be overruling that?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clearly the system is completely f***ed up - on-field refs (who are supposed to have the final word) seem to be turning to VAR to often - and boy would I love to see a ref trot over to the monitor, look at it for a few seconds and turn round and say, no, I'm not having that - my original decision stands!
Clearly the refs at Stockley Park have got the message entirely wrong, looking for every which way to disallow goals and generally disrupt and spoil the game.

Maybe we need a more radical approach. Obviously it must be qualified referees who make the decisions on VAR - but what about taking out of their hands the selection of which incidents should be reviewed. Have someone who knows the game - ex-players, former managers, or coaches - but not referees - watching for what are to any normal people, blatant and glaringly obvious errors, and then referring it to the VAR - right, go on, review that. The VAR only gets to review when requested by the observer to do so.

I'm pretty certain that yesterday, for example, with the VAR only being involved when called upon by the observer, those three obviously bad offside decisions wouldn't have been given.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They have VAR elsewhere (Germany, Australia). I know they've had issues - but how do they deal with offsides?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clearly the system is completely f***ed up - on-field refs (who are supposed to have the final word) seem to be turning to VAR to often - and boy would I love to see a ref trot over to the monitor, look at it for a few seconds and turn round and say, no, I'm not having that - my original decision stands!
Clearly the refs at Stockley Park have got the message entirely wrong, looking for every which way to disallow goals and generally disrupt and spoil the game.

Maybe we need a more radical approach. Obviously it must be qualified referees who make the decisions on VAR - but what about taking out of their hands the selection of which incidents should be reviewed. Have someone who knows the game - ex-players, former managers, or coaches - but not referees - watching for what are to any normal people, blatant and glaringly obvious errors, and then referring it to the VAR - right, go on, review that. The VAR only gets to review when requested by the observer to do so.

I'm pretty certain that yesterday, for example, with the VAR only being involved when called upon by the observer, those three obviously bad offside decisions wouldn't have been given.

I think that is partly where the problem is because the refs at Stockley are from the same pool as the refs on the pitch which is why I would suggest they have agreed amongst themselves how they are going to control the implementation of VAR and the best indicator of that is that they refuse to check the monitors!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think that is partly where the problem is because the refs at Stockley are from the same pool as the refs on the pitch which is why I would suggest they have agreed amongst themselves how they are going to control the implementation of VAR and the best indicator of that is that they refuse to check the monitors!

Haven't they been told by the Premier League not to check the pitch side monitors because they don't want to delay the game too much (yes i know.....)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Bin it!

Works great for sports like tennis and cricket and is a good part of the game now. A bit too slow for rugby and utterly dreadful for football.

Hate it even when we have benefited.

It works perfectly well for rugby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Comedy Gold
Just watching the replays of Mane's goal. Checking for handball and took them an age to hone in on Lallana. Right decision but they haven't a clue how to operate the gear!!!

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I haven't seen that but even if it's true, ie a statement by the PL, I would suggest that it's still the decision of the Refs dictating what they want.

Looked like VVD handballed by miscontrolling the ball on the half way line. Did they even look at that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Another decision where players are level but arm in offside position, and a goal chalked off for Wolves on the stroke of half-time.

This farce needs to be sorted out quickly, as VAR and availability of live streaming are two big reasons for fans not bothering to renew season tickets.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How pixelated was that image they used!!?? You cannot use a resolved pixelated image in the way. The line they took for the Wolves player was the outside of the pixel, but that is just resolved by the software through lack of clarity in the recorded image.

Absolute bullshit.

4 very good goals this weekend, all ruled out by VAR because they don't know what they're doing or how to apply the technology.

I ****ing hate it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here