Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it is worth considering at length because you might mistakenly be explaining your idea to youngsters who then go away believing you!!!

Just for clarity, you are aware that to be in an offside position, you have to be ahead of the ball when it is kicked?

Not correct if the ball is passed backwards it is not offside but there is no mention of where the ball should be other than that in the rules. Offside is decided on where players are not the ball.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
[/B]

Not correct if the ball is passed backwards it is not offside but there is no mention of where the ball should be other than that in the rules. Offside is decided on where players are not the ball.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

A player is in an offside position if:
  • any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

The highlighted bit is saying that if you are 'behind the ball' you are not offside.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
[/B]

I really do wish you would stop shooting yourself in the foot, you make it far too easy for others to prove you wrong!

Stick to opinions and not "facts", you can't get opinions wrong!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
[/B]

This is truly unbelievable.

That or it is a complete windup. If you are behind the ball when it is kicked, you can't be offside, simple as. It is irrelevant whether the ball is passed forwards or backwards.

In yesterdays case, Maddison would have had to have been less than 12yrds from the goal line at the time Vardy kicked the ball!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apologies about the twitter account linked....

https://twitter.com/hltco/status/1198568615378849792?s=21

But look at the shape of the ball in this freeze frame they used, it looks like a rugby ball, how can they use this?

Its a shocker isn't it. Both Sterlings feet are behind the last TWO defenders, and again, I'm not convinced they've frozen that at the frame when the ball went forward.

VAR is an absolute shit sandwich. I'm afraid I said it from the start, and I was far from the only one.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Its a shocker isn't it. Both Sterlings feet are behind the last TWO defenders, and again, I'm not convinced they've frozen that at the frame when the ball went forward.

VAR is an absolute shit sandwich. I'm afraid I said it from the start, and I was far from the only one.

You will get the crew saying offside is offside

But these are not 100 percent offside.

Yesterday,Son,Firmino, the Sheff United one against Spurs,Mount all ridiculous decisions.

Bin it till it’s right, id hoped that’s what the league was going to say last week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The ball AND the 2nd last defender so in my instance only one would be such not both or AND. Anyway I will stick to my view others may stick to theirs and until it happens nobody will know the true answer and who is correct with their view.

So, in your, scenario, Maddison is on the 18yrd line and our players are a foot further back. You are saying that is offside. Well ask yourself if he is ahead of the ball? He isn't because that happens to be sitting on the penalty spot, a good 6 yrds ahead of him, ergo, he is not in an offside position.

You talk yourself into ridiculous situations and then when it is pointed out to you time and time again you don't back down.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I expect VAR to remain ("everytime a technologically stronger civilisation meets a weaker, the weaker cease to exist"), but to change a lot.

1. VAR will be sponsored by someone. "VAR - Sponsored by Coca Cola".

2. Refs will be forced to watch the screen on the sidelines to give especially American TV companies an extra commercial break or two.

3. Rules of football will change, adapting to VAR, to make sure there are more goals. Maybe removing aspects of the offside goal and become harsher on "small" offenses in the penalty box. Say an average of five penalties per game - excellent for i.e. American or Chinese audiences who dont really give a shit about football or the teams but likes a great show (great show = many goals).

... but hopefully not. I hope the PL supporters and teams go together and say "feck this shiet". We the people managed to kill off Golden goal and "Silver goal" rules so maybe its not entirely impossible. Next year all the Swedish clubs will discuss implementing it in the Swedish league from 2021 and same goes for a lot of other smaller European leagues. I would be so happy if PL just said "naw feck off UEFA, we dont want this".

Its the worst shit to happen to football in a very long while.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The ball AND the 2nd last defender so in my instance only one would be such not both or AND. Anyway I will stick to my view others may stick to theirs and until it happens nobody will know the true answer and who is correct with their view.

For goodness sake.

You've just basically explained that he would be onside! 'one not both'.

In your scenario the striker would be nearer to the goal line than the second last opponent, but not nearer to the goal line than the ball. He would have to be nearer the goal line than both to be offside. That's what 'and' means!

You say 'until it happens nobody will know the true answer' - it happens every week. Almost every week somewhere a player runs through with the ball and passes the ball forward to a team-mate who is behind him & the ball but with no defender in front of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here