Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Ricky Gervais - After Life - Series 1 and 2

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Oh and one other thing. He's basically used the show as a vehicle to get his own opinions and points across. Several characters are there just so he can tell us his thoughts on religion, the paranormal, astrology. All of which he's covered in his stand up work. It's all very self indulgent and contrived.

He did the same in Extras, pretty sure in his other shows too. Nothing new here.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Well I watched both series over the course of two evenings.
I thought the acting and storyline was very good.
A few laugh out loud moments in every episode.
Some cringe making scenes with the psychoanalysis bloke had me hiding behind the sofa.
Looking forward to series three.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some cringe making scenes with the psychoanalysis bloke had me hiding behind the sofa.

Yeah, that was something I meant to mention - the psychiatrist bit would be my main criticism of series 2. It just went too far, to the point of being farcical.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I really enjoyed it. Yes, it is a bit mushy and I I think they overdid the presence of Dennis Pennis's character (would Pennis really continue to be visited?) but overall I liked it.

For those who don't like Gervais, the good news is that there is no cameo appearance featuring Miranda. Or John Bishop.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
How unusual that a writer of a comedy/show would include his own opinions on things!

Exactly! What did he expect I wonder?

I just find it tiresome now because I've enjoyed some of his previous stuff and he's said and done all that before as well as in his stand up. We know his opinions on religion and animals and over eating etc. It just feels the whole series is about himself and his opinions are the right ones and all other opinions are mocked and dismissed. Just bored of it now.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yeah, that was something I meant to mention - the psychiatrist bit would be my main criticism of series 2. It just went too far, to the point of being farcical.
Yes missed the mark with that.

Overall all though very good

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would agree the therapist actually became very annoying and far too over the top. He deserved a shoeing. Shame as the bloke ruined every scene he was in

Jameson

First series was quite good.
Strip away the relentless emotive use of music and grief, and the second series is exposed as a mess IMO.
And a lazy mess.
So many plot lines started but not developed.
Also, Some scenes were clearly filmed in London but passed off as the rural town in the plot.
And some of the dialogue...jeez. again, just lazy.
Clearly, even Ricky couldn’t quite be arsed.
After Life doesn’t really deserve your love, as it relies on one cheap and cliched trick after another to win the viewer over.
I’m surprised so many people like it to be honest, especially series two. Which was sh*te.

I do agree with much of what you say. I was puzzled by the locations too; apparently filmed in Hampstead, Hemel Hempstead and Beaconsfield. Plus Camber Sands. I think he missed the opportunity for a more conclusive and positive ending to series 2 which seemed a bit weak. Still a good watch and some brilliant scenes. IMO.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Martin Freeman in sky ones Breeders is brilliant, how a couple deals with life with kids with lots of swearing [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I have to say - well i don't really, but i will - that i found it a draining and mirthless watch. It felt horrendously dated and unsubtle and poorly caricatured and acted - apart from Penelope Wilton, and David Bradley somewhat. The corn of reminiscence is semi-acceptable, but the self-idolatry of a character who people just turn to, in spite of his relentless misanthropy, and feel he is caring and intriguing deep down just had me repetitively harrumph. Fine, write something, and maybe even direct it. But have someone read over it to challenge you, and edit it properly, and have an actual actor perform it to dim or resuscitate the monologues.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There's gonna be a season 3..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
I have to say - well i don't really, but i will - that i found it a draining and mirthless watch. It felt horrendously dated and unsubtle and poorly caricatured and acted - apart from Penelope Wilton, and David Bradley somewhat. The corn of reminiscence is semi-acceptable, but the self-idolatry of a character who people just turn to, in spite of his relentless misanthropy, and feel he is caring and intriguing deep down just had me repetitively harrumph. Fine, write something, and maybe even direct it. But have someone read over it to challenge you, and edit it properly, and have an actual actor perform it to dim or resuscitate the monologues.

Have you swallowed a Dictionary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I found it highly enjoyable, insomuch as it could make you laugh out loud or make you quietly cry with seemingly effortless ease. Also found it wildly erratic and frustrating. For every beautifully drawn, understated character (nurse, lady at graveside) there was a ludicrously over the top, non-believable character (psychiatrist, amdram/date lady). As the ever-astute [MENTION=282]Meade's Ball[/MENTION] said above, well at least I think that's what he was saying, it could have done with somebody there to challenge Gervais and edit with extreme prejudice. Still one of my favourite lockdown wastes of time tho

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Fine, write something, and maybe even direct it. But have someone read over it to challenge you, and edit it properly, and have an actual actor perform it to dim or resuscitate the monologues.

I feel that this is exactly what Stephen Merchant did with their collaborations, which were much better than Gervais' solo stuff. I still like Afterlife but the series feels a bit rushed and less refined when compared to The Office, Extras and Life's Too Short.

Offside Oz

Apr 30, 2016
Have to agree. It’s good (very good) for one series but just felt a bit over done in series 2.

Dennis Pennis just became too much in series 2. And the James Corden piss take didn’t work.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Are you related to the late Brian Alfred Christopher Bushell Sewell perchance? :moo:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Thought it was ok, liked series 1 better but overall the worst 6 part Gervais has done imo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here