Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Tiltman - It still bugs me !!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
adammicheal said:
On the other side of the coin he also chased Mark Farrington all round europe to sign him

What a complete waste of time and money that was
Not unlike Micky Adams and Lorenzo Pinamonte then? Or Aiden Newhouse (does Wales count as Europe?).

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Managers will always make unfortunate signings that don't work out... Alex Ferguson with the Italian Goakeeper ?Taibi....

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by One Teddy Maybank

Lloydy also brought in John Crumplin from Bognor and he played well for the Albion...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When?

Numerous ocassions, most memorably marking John Barnes (then the England winger) out the game in two FA Cup matches. Played regularly in a promotion winning team and his overall number of appearances for the club would indicate he did something right.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
crumplin was absolute toilet , he actually become semi decent due to the team generally becoming worse

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Dougal said:
crumplin was absolute toilet , he actually become semi decent due to the team generally becoming worse

Yeah course....that's why he marked John Barnes out of the game at Anfield...and scored an absolute gem against Burnley

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Talking to Barry coming back from Scunthorpe, there was a hell of a lot going on behind the scenes that meant that he was never really allowed to buy the players he felt would be useful to the club, if any player showed a modicum of skill he was instantly trawled around the transfer markets and with regards to saunders, there were deals done behind the scenes meaning his selection would never be allowed in case of injury.

I dont think people quite realise just how close we were to going out of business!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Mr Burns said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. BHA FC did not sell Dean Saunders for £60k. Barclays Bank sold Dean Saunders for £60k.

The club was in so much debt, Barclays told them to sell their main asset as soon as possible for whatever they could get. I think it was Mark (dont take your eyes off your boys) Lawrensen who got wind off this, and who offered £60k almost as a joke, and Barclays being a joke themseleves, made Brighton accept the offer to pay off debts.

Barry Lloyd had f*** all to do with it, and personally I believe without him this club would have gone under, a long before pink and perky showed up.

Did Barclays also tell Barry Lloyd to play Saunders out wide for most of that season?

Sorry, but even if his hand was forced with the sale, Barry got virtually nothing out of Saunders compared to the previous season under Chris Catlin.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Gritt23 said:
Did Barclays also tell Barry Lloyd to play Saunders out wide for most of that season?

Sorry, but even if his hand was forced with the sale, Barry got virtually nothing out of Saunders compared to the previous season under Chris Catlin.

wasn't the first part of that season under Mullery? I thought Lloyd took over in January and Saunders left in March with the team virtually doomed.

You are right though, Cattlin did manage him well.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
ROSM said:
wasn't the first part of that season under Mullery? I thought Lloyd took over in January and Saunders left in March with the team virtually doomed.

You are right though, Cattlin did manage him well.

You're right Mullery was in charge until January - a win at Grimsby being his last game in charge, Christ I remember so absolute rubbish at times - so perhaps unfair of me to blame the poor season from Saunders on Lloyd, but he certainly did nothing to improve matters.

Did Saunders suddenly start performing and scoring under Lloyd? No, he carried on playing the guy out wide, and we were getting very little from him as a result. No-one else seemed to struggle to get the best out of Saunders throughout the rest of his career.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Even after all these years I still find it amazing that Barry Lloyd played Richard Tiltman ahead of Dean Saunders. And even more annoying is that we sold Deano for £60k. What a complete f**k up !!:ohmy:

For me Dean Saunders was worse than Tiltman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here