Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Beeching and the effects of his report.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is also known as Abermaw. The Welsh name is always on top on road signs. The odd thing is that the local line from Machynlleth to Pwllheli survived, including the well known Barmouth Bridge, but the main line from Ruabon, which now has the preserved Bala Lake and Llangollen Railways on part of it, and used to bring in holidaymakers from Liverpool and Manchester, did not..

We stayed on the River Dyfi around the headland and caught the train from Dovey Junction. It is a magnificent railway line. We thought we'd spend the afternoon in Barmouth, but having had a look we decided to take the next train back. Geographically stunning - but down at heel in the town.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I believe it was Barbara Castle, Transport Minister, in the later Labour Government who gave final approval for the Steyning Line to be closed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Add in a Tory government with members actually involved the motorway building industry in the form of Ernest Marples and the whole thing stinks all the more.

You can't impugn the integrity of an honourable man, and a Tory to boot, like Marples just like that. Yes, he had a huge involvement in the road construction industry, but as soon as he became Minister of Transport he realised there would be a terrific conflict of interest if he kept his shares, so he got rid of all of them straight away.

He gave them to his wife.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You can't impugn the integrity of an honourable man, and a Tory to boot, like Marples just like that. Yes, he had a huge involvement in the road construction industry, but as soon as he became Minister of Transport he realised there would be a terrific conflict of interest if he kept his shares, so he got rid of all of them straight away.

He gave them to his wife.

He also fled the country in the 70s in order to evade prosecution for tax fraud. All in all, a model politician and an example to us all

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I believe it was Barbara Castle, Transport Minister, in the later Labour Government who gave final approval for the Steyning Line to be closed.

She did try to save some as well, the Somerset & Dorset most famously.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
That went well then!

:lolol:

I think it had gotten too far down the line in the end, plus people seem to forget that BR were also chomping at the bit to get these lines closed.

They had the track up and infrastructure reduced to rubble within weeks of closure to stop any talk or appeals of re opening.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Uckfield to Lewes would have been handy for some fans now, though it would require serious reworking of the A22! My Dad used to take that line to school after cycling 3 miles & slinging his bike, unlocked in a shack at the station, so he's fond of recounting.

What I do find surprising about the Beeching cuts is that, even in the 60s, there were a lot of commuters on the south coast. I don't understand why he didn't consider that there might be the need for an alternative route to B&H, Lewes, Worthing, Eastbourne. Did he really not consider what would happen if the Brighton mainline were damaged in some way?

when the network that remains is not profitable and still requires heavy subsidy, i think there's a great deal of doubt to that. I'm sure that many of the lines were more utilised than statistics recorded, but not profitably. if we consider Lewes-Uckfield, it wouldn't be profitable as most passengers would take the faster line to London, or at least the passengers would be shared, so cost effectiveness greatly reduced on both lines. (i would support that line reopening btw, who's going pay the extra for it?)

Uckfield to Lewes was a profitable line and the closure was nothing to do with Beeching. It was closed due to the new road bridge over the Ouse in Lewes.

The reopened line would take a different route.

Not that profitability should really come into it anyway as the railways should be a public service.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here