Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reviewing Red Card Decision

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I mean, what else was it going to be for!?

Could have been for absolutely bloody anything - if you are at the other end of the ground I didn't have a clue what was going on. If you watch on tv then it's fine - we all know var is to please the tv viewers and screw the fans at the ground. Found on Twitter what it was for. Var is a truly awful invention made 100 times worse by being implemented by utter morons.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Forget about VAR looking for red cards. If the ref. gives a red card, it's a red card and the player goes off. Red card incidents - given or not given - could be reviewed retrospectively by the VAR and the ref. together. Red card given - but should not have been - rescind it; no suspension. No red card given, but it should have been - three match ban.
Not this faffing around during the game.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
VAR *must* start to show something in the stadium. When the fans have no idea which side is even going to get the red something is very wrong!

Discussed on 606 on drive home. Yes, the stadium needs to hear the ref talking to VAR central, like in eggball. Won't happen until laws have been tweaked though. Concepts like 'intentional', 'not that kind of player', 'reckless' and 'handbags' need to be purged from the lexicon (even if it is only the lexicon of a referee's mind) and replaced by more objective criteria, and a rubric for dealing with impossibly tight calls. The latter may be 'in the judgement of the referee' which is fine by me. We are on a journey and we have only got half way.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Discussed on 606 on drive home. Yes, the stadium needs to hear the ref talking to VAR central, like in eggball. Won't happen until laws have been tweaked though. Concepts like 'intentional', 'not that kind of player', 'reckless' and 'handbags' need to be purged from the lexicon (even if it is only the lexicon of a referee's mind) and replaced by more objective criteria, and a rubric for dealing with impossibly tight calls. The latter may be 'in the judgement of the referee' which is fine by me. We are on a journey and we have only got half way.
"In the judgement of the referee' - is that like Umpire's call in cricket? In which case, I'm in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Forget about VAR looking for red cards. If the ref. gives a red card, it's a red card and the player goes off. Red card incidents - given or not given - could be reviewed retrospectively by the VAR and the ref. together. Red card given - but should not have been - rescind it; no suspension. No red card given, but it should have been - three match ban.
Not this faffing around during the game.

Personally, if our keeper is red carded in minute 1 (plus a penalty given) I would rather VAR reverse it there and then, than play with 10 men for 89 minutes, Brian Powney (or whoever our goalie sub is these days) in goal. Ryan being given a warm handshake Sunday lunchtime would be no compensation for the 0-6 defeat the day before.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"In the judgement of the referee' - is that like Umpire's call in cricket? In which case, I'm in.

Yes, yes it is :thumbsup:

Put me in charge of everything and we'd have a fair and functional Great Britain. Fact.

:lolol:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Personally, if our keeper is red carded in minute 1 (plus a penalty given) I would rather VAR reverse it there and then, than play with 10 men for 89 minutes, Brian Powney (or whoever our goalie sub is these days) in goal. Ryan being given a warm handshake Sunday lunchtime would be no compensation for the 0-6 defeat the day before.

Seeing as Maty didn’t have a save to make I can state categorically that I could have kept a clean sheet today :lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
But just watching live in the ground you could see that Muapay made a foul.

Seriously?

It must be great having a view from every seat in the ground to know this.

I and no one around me had a clue as to why VAR was looking at a red card.

Perhaps you could set up a social media group to enlighten everyone else in the ground for the Leicester game, thanks

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Seriously?

It must be great having a view from every seat in the ground to know this.

I and no one around me had a clue as to why VAR was looking at a red card.

Perhaps you could set up a social media group to enlighten everyone else in the ground for the Leicester game, thanks

This. From the NW it looked like an old fashioned pile on. No way could we have seen Maupay with a dozen players in and around him, several on the floor completely blocking any view of his feet.

Was in a total mystery. Only their fans booing the result did we know that it was one of our players under review.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
But just watching live in the ground you could see that Muapay made a foul. Unless you were not laying attention I am amazed you could not see what it was for!?
Not from the opposite corner I couldn't and no one else knew either. Could have been deliberate handball, some sort of confrontation, a foul, anything. Literally not a clue, just a bundle of bodies and shots. Seems like I wasn't the only one - clearly none of us were paying attention.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looking at Friend I got the impression that he was hoping for a sending off. Really don’t like him reffing our games as I always feel that he is favouring the opposition. Could just be me I accept.

I think your dislike of Friend may be introducing some cognitive bias there.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From Lower West near the 18 yd line many near to me had to go to their radios or phones to find out what was being reviewed to warrant a possible red card. The answer was a possible handball on the line by a Norwich player stopping a goal.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I did wonder if Krul had a dot of mud or a crease on his shirt/shorts that needed addressing for the cameras?? He most certainly was THE media darling today.

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
From Lower West near the 18 yd line many near to me had to go to their radios or phones to find out what was being reviewed to warrant a possible red card. The answer was a possible handball on the line by a Norwich player stopping a goal.

Yes we got an answer of Norwich handball, Aaron Connoly Red, Maupay Red. Not a scooby of what they were actually looking at. I could only assume it was one of our players otherwise it would be a penalty decision.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Another VAR farce for me. Have not seen the replay yet but isn't whether he should have gone slightly missing the whole point of the correct use of VAR?

Who actually made the call for VAR to review the incident? Nobody in the stadium had a clue. The ref made no indication that he thought he had seen something but just suddenly stopped to listen what was coming through his earpiece. So again the conclusion is that a VAR is working almost like a second independent ref scanning the game for possible incidents to check. If the ref thinks he has seen something and then asks VAR to check I don't have a problem.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

The answer was wrong then.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

That was the problem. If you're sitting high up in a stand about half a mile away, you're not going to have any idea. I am in WSU about on a level with the half way line, and didn't have a cluecwgat wax going on.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Could have been for absolutely bloody anything - if you are at the other end of the ground I didn't have a clue what was going on. If you watch on tv then it's fine - we all know var is to please the tv viewers and screw the fans at the ground. Found on Twitter what it was for. Var is a truly awful invention made 100 times worse by being implemented by utter morons.

Didn't know on the stream I was watching either. There was no indication of what they were looking at until the screen came up with 'VAR - no red card' . And even then they had to think about who/what it could have been before settling on Maupay's challenge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here