Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Retro fitting a DAB radio into an 'old' car

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yep. I've tried everything, even extending the aerial lead, it appears I live in a black hole for radio signal!

Even my fm signal is rubbish. When I'm not at an away game and I need to listen in I have to use my phone and sit by the window as I can't trail the aerial lead across the floor with a 2 year old running riot. Bloody nightmare....

Can confirm Hassocks is a complete no no for DAB and mobile phone reception.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I fitted a all singing & dancing dab/bluetooth phone touchscreen head unit into my van and the screen aerial was rubbish, very few channel and those kept dropping out of them.
Fitted a good quality roof aerial about £60 and now get all the channels without any dropouts.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I live up close to the station and to be fair I don't have too many issues with phone signal since I switched to o2. I always have enough signal for phone calls although even the 4g Internet does struggle, I'm always on the WiFi at home or in the pub so I do OK. Three was rubbish though, was like living with one2one in the late 90's. Or one2no-one as I called it back then.

The dab and fm issues drive me mad, I can get BBC Sussex through the TV but not the commentary due to stupid broadcasting laws.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I have a cassette/radio head unit with a 6 cd changer in the boot. Unfortunately the CD changer decided to pack up just before our Road trip round Scotland a few weeks ago so I dug out a bag load of cassettes. Was a nice retro touch which amazed the kids! Unfortuately I couldn't work out how to FF or REW the tape so we had to go full retro and employ a pencil for the task.

As with LP's, Cassettes aren't dead yet!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We've just had a DAB radio fitted in our 10 year old Motorhome. It "drops out" more often than we would like and so I was thinking of going back to ask whether we need or can get a better aerial, but in general, it's excellent.

Much better listening to Five Live on DAB than unintelligible Medium Wave, and being able to get BBC 6 Music etc is great.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was looking at getting this done too. Not sure whether to go to Highdown Audio, Huets or Halfords - or any other shop begining with 'H'.

What I dont want is for the steering column controls, or the current stereo display to be rendered useless..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Was looking at getting this done too. Not sure whether to go to Highdown Audio, Huets or Halfords - or any other shop begining with 'H'.

What I dont want is for the steering column controls, or the current stereo display to be rendered useless..

Check out icebox auto.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here