Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Retirement

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I've been pondering things and....I think I earn far too much for far too little demand in terms of my time and the accretion of my psychic infrastructure to seriously think about packing it in, even though the pension is fully loaded (the lack of minuses) and...

I'm trying to develop a drug and am part of the patent owner team, and progression is helped by my having a university appointment, and I still enjoy some of my time in London (the plusses) so....

f*** it, I'll stay employed for a a bit longer. Why not? :shrug:
Job satisfaction with current and future security. It’s something we would all want but few get.
The only thing I missed were workmates.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
But as you say….you can’t buy time.
Probably the most important statement regarding retirement, several people I know passed away either just before they were due to retire or very quickly after they did.

If you are in a position to retire do it, there is loads to occupy your time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The only thing I missed were workmates.
That was one thing I never missed. I made a huge effort once retired to totally re-invent myself and change my lifestyle completely

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Mrs Amex and I both retired early last year, both early, we were lucky to have a few quid in the bank to tide us, hopefully, through until we can get our pensions.

Neither of us have hobbies, but have still kept occupied virtually every day. Much of it nice stuff, but also spending an awful lot of time trying to sort out many things for my elderly parents. Although that’s not exactly what we would choose do be doing we are grateful that the early retirement means we can actually support them at a time in the their lives that they need it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
That was one thing I never missed. I made a huge effort once retired to totally re-invent myself and change my lifestyle completely
Really interesting. I can’t say I’ve missed any of my former colleagues in the year since I retired

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Really interesting. I can’t say I’ve missed any of my former colleagues in the year since I retired
One other thing I did when I worked was always go on the Xmas meal with the majority who had retired.

Since retiring over 4 years ago haven't bothered, just moved on, not my scene etc

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I guess if you are selling a house in a desirable part of Brighton and Hove and moving to a less expensive area even within the south east you could be at least 100,000 better off possibly several hundred thousand- so forget all your financial planning , just do that ! It’s a joke but it will suit some people .
Oh yes, I completely get that, when Zef jr was little I suggested to Mrs Zef, if she wanted to be less skint we could move and have no mortgage . . . We knuckled down . . . 12 years later, the lights are brighter, and we're exactly where we want to be.

the option to cash in and move is always there, unless there's some seismic shift, but we've not priced ourselves out of where we consider 'home'

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Is that an industry type thing?

I still keep in touch and have ex colleagues from over 25 years ago I consider friends, in fact we had a works lunch before xmas . . . Sturtevant shut down in January 1995 . . . It was a pensioners day out and I was the 'yoof'

plenty of ex colleagues I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire though 😂

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Serious question . . . Why does where to live come into it?

obvious answers I guess are you don't like where you are, or you could go somewhere cheaper?

I'm some years off, but plan is and always was, ( nearly 20 years now) we're where we like and thats it . . .for everywhere else, there's travel/holidays
Might move back to Scotland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still meet up regularly with many of my old team……informally for regular drinks/lunches and once or twice a year a bigger gathering when any happen to be over from overseas.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
plenty of ex colleagues I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire though 😂
I felt this about some of them but I wanted to move on and spend my time with people i liked talking about things I wanted to talk about, not to hear that “Isaac from Sales has reduced his hours” or “last week we started a deep dive on the dress code”.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Is that an industry thing ?
I suppose I was a bit economical with the truth, I still keeping contact with a work colleague who is a Wolves STH, still always guarantees a good session in the Great Western pre-match

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re right but that’s not always easy to do if the main culprit is the CEO who is “overseen” by timid NEDs. A dominant and aggressive CEO sets the tone from the top that can drive a poisonous fear culture that permeates the entire firm.

I’ve seen new CEOs in their first CEO role. Insecure, control-freak bullies, desperate to prove themselves - so they start by trashing and discrediting the previous regime ( inc the current workforce) and then embarking on the usual “drains up strategic review” ( yawn). A few enormous bonus payments later as a reward for jam tomorrow, the board realise they’ve thrown the baby out with the bath water. And no, I’m not going to name names!
I was going to post the same thing.

Managers the victims themselves of bullying/intense unrealistic pressure from above. I think there was a change about 30 years ago in the early 90’s recession.

The culture of an organisation reflects either the owner-manager or the executives.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Has anyone noticed that among those of us who have retired, not one of us has expressed any regret in doing so?

Before I retired at 56, I thought I would miss work, and all that it brings. The money, sense of achievement, challenge, banter etc. Not a bit of it.
Mind you, towards the end of my career, I had been contracting for 11 years, so had a few dry runs at retirement between contracts.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Poseur :giggle:

1FDFFC63-003B-4F12-BA82-A593C2E14407.png

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Any tips from ‘the retired’ for those in the working waiting room. 18 months at most before I jump aboard the retirement train. Caught between showing enthusiasm to ‘f—k off’ MS Teams.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just catching up with Martin Lewis’s programme on pensions. Headache stuff. Big section on NI voluntary contributions deadline. My wife paid a NI partial year in 2013/14 and was wondering whether to make a NI voluntary contribution to make it a full year. I’ve come to the conclusion that as she was contracted out (COPE) there is no gain. Any dissenting view most welcome.
I’ve just googled high and low on this, I can’t see anywhere that voluntary Class 3 NIC’s can top up contracted out years.

I think instead you have to look at her overall state pension forecast and NIC record. Is she heading for the full £185 pw (soon to be £200 pw), if not, does she have the opportunity now to pay Class 3 to add extra years?

Martin Lewis emphasises for everyone contemplating this, before they make a payment, they check with the government department to see if it is worthwhile in their case.

2599AD9A-E95C-4B83-8190-95D1138EA212.png

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I’ve just googled high and low on this, I can’t see anywhere that voluntary Class 3 NIC’s can top up contracted out years.

I think instead you have to look at her overall state pension forecast and NIC record. Is she heading for the full £185 pw (soon to be £200 pw), if not, does she have the opportunity now to pay Class 3 to add extra years?

Martin Lewis emphasises for everyone contemplating this, before they make a payment, they check with the government department to see if it is worthwhile in their case.

View attachment 157712
Oh thanks. I googled high and low on this as well with a takeaway that when contracting out ended in 2016 such people started on a state pension of £155 per week which could be built up thereafter. She no longer works and we haven’t got the £800+ per year to top up. Atleast I know what to do to find out for sure.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh thanks. I googled high and low on this as well with a takeaway that when contracting out ended in 2016 such people started on a state pension of £155 per week which could be built up thereafter. She no longer works and we haven’t got the £800+ per year to top up. Atleast I know what to do to find out for sure.
That’s exactly my take too.

That’s a shame. Hope it all works out though when you retire too :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here