Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Retirement

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So, two weeks in I've:

Visited and walked in the Forest of Dean
Played 5-a-side football (and started to look for an Over 60s team and at walking football)
Joined a Tennis Club
Started to plan a Charity Walk, (thinking of either The Amex to St Gilles, Arundel to Lands End or the big one John O'Groats to Land's End (unlikely due to time and cost))
Mountain Biking (on the flat)
Booked to discuss some voluntary work
Had a few beers and started to "plan" drinking days rather than one after the other!
Purchased some unnecessary walking apparel

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
So, two weeks in I've:

Played 5-a-side football (and started to look for an Over 60s team and at walking football)
Joined a Tennis Club
Started to plan a Charity Walk, (thinking of either The Amex to St Gilles, Arundel to Lands End or the big one John O'Groats to Land's End (unlikely due to time and cost))
Had a few beers and started to "plan" drinking days rather than one after the other!

Sounds like you've cracked it already! Keep doing stuff, it doesn't matter at all what it is (as long as it's legal!), and you'll be as happy as Larry.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
So, two weeks in I've:

Joined a Tennis Club

Well done Tim. That's a good start. It sounds as if you won't be looking for things to do in retirement.
I've been retired a while now, and I don't know how I found the time to go to work. Since I retired, I can honestly say, the only times I've been bored, have been during Brighton games!

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
There are definitely other options. And obviously IHT only kicks in above a certain threshold (which could be £1m, if your spouse/partner has transferred their allowances to you on their death). Pension assets and investments in Business Property funds are IHT-free. The latter might sound slightly risky, but my Dad invested in some BPR funds which were very stable. The other thing is, you can take out a life insurance policy which pays out enough to cover the IHT. Obviously this gets more expensive as you get older, but can be a useful short to medium term move which effectively mitigates an IHT bill if you were to die early.

PS: I'm not an expert (just did some research for my Dad a few years ago).

Just one caveat to the 'pension funds being outside of IHT' statement. That is that if you die within two years of a pension being transferred it may come into your estate for IHT purposes. The executor of your Will would need to document this on IHT form 409.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Sounds like you've cracked it already! Keep doing stuff, it doesn't matter at all what it is (as long as it's legal!), and you'll be as happy as Larry.

Sounds like a I had, until two weeks ago when my previously bad ankle (Sep '13) when the previous sepsis in ankle joint decided to flare up, since then I've been in St Richards and had an operation to clean it. I'm now in a ward until around 8/6 when I shall be released on home rest from the community team until July.

Now, I spent a few days in a deep depression thinking I was the unluckiest guy in the World and this is so unfair. Then I started to see if there was anything to be grateful for and soon realised there were so many good points and I was unnecessarily being a miserable twit.

Yes, pain beyond belief and massively inconvenient but family and friends around me, wouldn't lead to financial pressures and long term will be sorted.

So, bit of a 2022 re-plan, enhanced planning time and a hugely disrupted sleep pattern for a few more weeks.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sounds like a I had, until two weeks ago when my previously bad ankle (Sep '13) when the previous sepsis in ankle joint decided to flare up, since then I've been in St Richards and had an operation to clean it. I'm now in a ward until around 8/6 when I shall be released on home rest from the community team until July.

Now, I spent a few days in a deep depression thinking I was the unluckiest guy in the World and this is so unfair. Then I started to see if there was anything to be grateful for and soon realised there were so many good pints and I was unnecessarily being a miserable twit.

Yes, pain beyond belief and massively inconvenient but family and friends around me, wouldn't lead to financial pressures and long term will be sorted.

So, bit of a 2022 re-plan, enhanced planning time and a hugely disrupted sleep pattern for a few more weeks.

Really sorry to hear this. Do all you can to keep your head straight and seek help if you're struggling. It's a strength to ask for help, not a weakness.
All the very best.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Really sorry to hear this. Do all you can to keep your head straight and seek help if you're struggling. It's a strength to ask for help, not a weakness.
All the very best.

You're so right. Using text (i.e. non public), I contacted a few people to let them know my true feelings (The ward was hit by COVID also so currently no visitors) and to say nothing they could do but this how how I was truly feeling, some lovely messages, suggestions and "next steps" if things didn't look up, more than I thought.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I'm out of hospital being cared for by community nurses and rehab started, 60 steps yesterday. onwards and upwards.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Glad you're on the mend young sir. I removed myself from the daily grind three weeks ago at the age of 62.
First task for me is a new shed build, of which I'm halfway through. I'm extremely fortunate with my overall health....but worked out I need to lose five stone! Working like the proverbial outside in the heat has left little puddles of excess me so my new healthy regime is off to a flyer.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I decided to Semi Retire at the beginning of the year.
Just got fed up with traveling and 14 hour days.
I'm 64 now and I just do casual work for a local crane company and every job is different and he rings me when he needs me
Did 3 days last week and nothing this week at all.
I find that before you know it the day is over when you have no work.
The weather is brilliant and can't beat going for a nice 6 mile walk all around the fields and villages down here in Devon. Even when it's damp and gloomy, which is normal down here is still stunning countryside to walk around.
There is no way I could go back to a five day week now even though I've been offered that by two companies in Hinkley Point.

Life's to short so enjoy it whilst you can still get about.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Glad you're on the mend young sir. I removed myself from the daily grind three weeks ago at the age of 62.
First task for me is a new shed build, of which I'm halfway through. I'm extremely fortunate with my overall health....but worked out I need to lose five stone! Working like the proverbial outside in the heat has left little puddles of excess me so my new healthy regime is off to a flyer.
I bought myself a turbo trainer and a decent bike and you can ride 30 miles without leaving the house and loose loads of weight and no danger of getting hit by a lorry or car.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Hence shedding a few pounds

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I decided to Semi Retire at the beginning of the year.
Just got fed up with traveling and 14 hour days.
I'm 64 now and I just do casual work for a local crane company and every job is different and he rings me when he needs me
Did 3 days last week and nothing this week at all.
I find that before you know it the day is over when you have no work.
The weather is brilliant and can't beat going for a nice 6 mile walk all around the fields and villages down here in Devon. Even when it's damp and gloomy, which is normal down here is still stunning countryside to walk around.
There is no way I could go back to a five day week now even though I've been offered that by two companies in Hinkley Point.

Life's to short so enjoy it whilst you can still get about.

Good for you, those 4 dreaded words I never want to endure, after spending my whole life doing shift work. :)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oh well, gingerly walking again, short distances but enough to get to he loo etc. It's a start and a bit of independence. Down side was I thought I'd finish antibiotics on Monday but six more weeks. At least orally this time and Oxycycline, so I think I can enjoy the very occasional pint on those? So, plan is, holidays back on track from the end of July, back on the Peloton from next week and get walking on the ankle and hope for the best. Retirement back on track ..... ish! Got to keep off this weight I've lost due to laying in a hospital bed, but it's mostly muscle weight loss sadly, which will be back on with cycling.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Oh well, gingerly walking again, short distances but enough to get to he loo etc. It's a start and a bit of independence. Down side was I thought I'd finish antibiotics on Monday but six more weeks. At least orally this time and Oxycycline, so I think I can enjoy the very occasional pint on those? So, plan is, holidays back on track from the end of July, back on the Peloton from next week and get walking on the ankle and hope for the best. Retirement back on track ..... ish! Got to keep off this weight I've lost due to laying in a hospital bed, but it's mostly muscle weight loss sadly, which will be back on with cycling.

NSC is with you. Hopefully, you'll be as good as new before you know it.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
my wife and i were just saying that it’s a shame that losing pounds in weight isn’t as easy as losing pounds in value of our pension pots seems to be.
It seems relentless

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
my wife and i were just saying that it’s a shame that losing pounds in weight isn’t as easy as losing pounds in value of our pension pots seems to be.
It seems relentless

Gaining back pounds in weight will probably be easier! Unless you need your pension pot immediately, stick with it - it should recover over the longer term ( inflation, war and pestilence permitting).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here