Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant Thread 2022

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Fully agree with the sentiment expressed here. This and the music threads are valued contributions, in which there are positive and revealing posts but also negative ones but the negativity comes with explanations.
Eating out is one of life joys for me, and I'm more than happy to pay high and, for me, these are often the best value for money. This is just to illustrate that often you're getting an awful lot more when shelling out more; being in the joint for four hours plus, better service, better culinary skills, more 'chef hours', better ingredients, and so on.

Not just food. Service, location, ambience, companions, even the presence of other like-minded diners are all elements that increase the enjoyment and tend to increase with the quality - and usually cost.

Fine dining is not easily replicated at home, whereas other meals can be. So it is often made more special. Both have their place and most people who spend toward the higher end will also frequent other restaurants, of all levels.

Slightly bemused by the comments of more money than sense, class or whatever. Many people spend a considerable amount on holidays that cost a similar amount on a daily basis, yet are left with just memories and handful of photos at the end - that they probably won't even look at again. Good restaurants provide a similar experience, one that lingers in the memory for months, sometimes years, after.

It's just different, that's all. Not good, not bad and certainly not something to criticise people for simply because one has different preferences in life.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not just food. Service, location, ambience, companions, even the presence of other like-minded diners are all elements that increase the enjoyment and tend to increase with the quality - and usually cost.

Fine dining is not easily replicated at home, whereas other meals can be. So it is often made more special. Both have their place and most people who spend toward the higher end will also frequent other restaurants, of all levels.

Slightly bemused by the comments of more money than sense, class or whatever. Many people spend a considerable amount on holidays that cost a similar amount on a daily basis, yet are left with just memories and handful of photos at the end - that they probably won't even look at again. Good restaurants provide a similar experience, one that lingers in the memory for months, sometimes years, after.

It's just different, that's all. Not good, not bad and certainly not something to criticise people for simply because one has different preferences in life.

Agreed and to make a similar point: I rarely buy a take away lunch (ie in a sandwich bar), because I'm of the view that I can buy/make superior alternatives for less money. That means that I probably eat out far less than certain proletarians on here but, from what I save in terms of quantity, I make up in terms of quality by frequenting certain restaurants that source better ingredients and are infinitely more skilled in coaxing out their qualities than I am. Perhaps the exemplary case in point is Sushi Tetsu that the OP mentioned (and costs considerably less than the one that was reviewed).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Agreed and to make a similar point: I rarely buy a take away lunch (ie in a sandwich bar), because I'm of the view that I can buy/make superior alternatives for less money. That means that I probably eat out far less than certain proletarians on here but, from what I save in terms of quantity, I make up in terms of quality by frequenting certain restaurants that source better ingredients and are infinitely more skilled in coaxing out their qualities than I am. Perhaps the exemplary case in point is Sushi Tetsu that the OP mentioned (and costs considerably less than the one that was reviewed).

Or, nearer to home, Little Fish Market.

Having given the re-boot a somewhat lukewarm reception on the 2021 thread I now find myself craving Duncan's precise fish cookery again. This tends to happen once a quarter. Well worth the equivalent of ten lunchtime trips to Pret a Manger that the girl who sat next to me when I worked in Uxbridge got through in two and a half weeks.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Or, nearer to home, Little Fish Market.

Having given the re-boot a somewhat lukewarm reception on the 2021 thread I now find myself craving Duncan's precise fish cookery again. This tends to happen once a quarter. Well worth the equivalent of ten lunchtime trips to Pret a Manger that the girl who sat next to me when I worked in Uxbridge got through in two and a half weeks.

I'm more looking forward to going to 4&C than LFM, but doubt I'll be going to either for a while: scrambling to raise as much cash as possible to reduce the loan that we'll have to take out on a kitchen extension due to occur in a week or so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm more looking forward to going to 4&C than LFM, but doubt I'll be going to either for a while: scrambling to raise as much cash as possible to reduce the loan that we'll have to take out on a kitchen extension due to occur in a week or so.

Well at least you'll have nice surroundings to prepare those discounted vegetables, cheap cuts and baked beans in :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Only one way to find out. [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION], would you care to publish your bank statement and IQ test result please :wink:

Without revealing too much detail, I think it’s reasonable to assume that my IQ only has 3 digits, with the first digit being a 1, whereas my current bank balance is a bit higher than that.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
21 courses. £8/course.

Thanks for your kind thoughts though.

21 courses? Really?

I can do 3 courses - four with a fish course at a push - but 21? Where do you find to put it all? There must be a hell of a lot of wastage.

Unless what you are describing as a "course" is really just a mouthful. In which case, £8 for a mouthful?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
21 courses? Yes Really? Yes

I can do 3 courses - four with a fish course at a push - but 21? Where do you find to put it all? My stomach, and a little down my shirt There must be a hell of a lot of wastage. No; that’s another thing that he focuses on that I forgot to mention in the OP

Unless what you are describing as a "course" is really just a mouthful. No In which case, £8 for a mouthful? N/A

Answers embedded above. I plan to move on from this particular review now.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Has anyone been to Heritage at Slaugham ? Owned / run by Matt Gillan formally of The Pass

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Market, Western Road

Very good local tapas, definitely a notch up from the ones in town. Particularly tasty were the smoked beetroot, the gamba pil pil, the padrons, suckling pig and bacalao.

£110 for 2 including a couple of COCKTAILS. Not sure what that works out as per course/mouthful, sorry NSC.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
If we're talking Japanese restaurants, then Kusaki near Preston Circus is worth a shout. It's a Japanese vegan restaurant and is bloody lovely. I went there for my birthday and haven't enjoyed a meal so much for years - anyone who thinks that vegan food is dull or bland should give it a go.

It's not cheap but you'll pay a lot more for a meal out (£170 for example :lolol: ). I think it was about £120 for Mrs G and me - we'll probably go back when it's her birthday.

Have to agree. Went with my partner and her son for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. Bloody delicious and didn’t find it too pricey. We shared a lot of the small dishes between us and they don’t drink so…about £80.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Market, Western Road

Very good local tapas, definitely a notch up from the ones in town. Particularly tasty were the smoked beetroot, the gamba pil pil, the padrons, suckling pig and bacalao.

£110 for 2 including a couple of COCKTAILS. Not sure what that works out as per course/mouthful, sorry NSC.

Nothing quite like a padron pepper or two, and some suckling pig to make my mouth start to water. £110 for two sounds like pretty fair value to me, especially when you consider that a couple of cocktails takes up about a third of that bill.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Dulce restaurant and cafe, Rickmansworth. Take 2.

Note: it would help if you read the first review err first.

“I fancy Italian”, says my mother.
“Oh ****”, says I (sotto voce)
“What did you say?”
“I said ‘that’s nice’”

This was brought on by the fact that my mother’s friend (“she’ll eat anything” “oh good” “sorry, what did you say?” “I said ‘have you put your hearing aids in?’”) and the GLDHI’s mother are both coming to stay next week, and my mother said “wouldn’t it be lovely if the five of us went out?” “No”, I said. “Sorry?”. “Yes”, I said.

“Do you think that they would prefer the Italian or the Argentinian? I think Joan (my mother’s friend) would prefer Italian”, said my mother. “Shall we try it before they come so that we can make a decision?”, she continued
“We tried it last year. Remember?”
“Oh yes. But that was ‘fish night’”
“You know they eat fish in Italy, right?”
“Yes, of course. But that’s not Italian”
“”What’s ‘Italian’ then?”
“Goldstone”, warned the GLDHI
“Well”, said my mother “you know”
“Pasta??”
“Spaghetti”. A pause…
“Bolognese?”
“Yes”
Pause
“Do you like Italian?”
“Goldstone” interjected the GLDHI with a bit more emphasis
“Yes, of course”
“Ribolata? Locanda Locatelli?” I said forlornly [I did tell you that it would help if you read the last review]
“No. I told you before that I wanted Italian”
“Yes. Yes, you did”
“Yes. Yes she DID”, said the GLDHI.

Outnumbered and cornered, I order an Uber.

“Did you book a table in the restaurant, rather than under the awning?” says my mother.
“Yes. For 2”
“Sorry?”
“You have nothing to apologise for”
“Goldstone…”

We arrive. Yes, we’re in the main restaurant. On the table as close to the sliding door in the awning as it’s possible to be.

We order.

King prawns x2; scallops. Penne piccante, veal Milanese, and (I know this will come as a surprise) spaghetti bolognese. And a bottle of Primitivo.

“This is an excellent bottle of Primitivo”, says the owner
“Good. I’d be disappointed if it was Sangiovese”
“Goldstone…”
“No, it’s not Sangiovese. It’s Nebbiolo”, says the owner, somewhat obsequiously
“HUH?”
“Goldstone…”

The food? The bread: Sainsbury sliced. At least they seemed to have bought enough this time. Prawns drastically over cooked. Scallops likewise. Penne cooked nicely, but the sauce was meh. Milanese was ok, I guess. Spaghetti bolognese? You want to know? Seriously?

The Primitivo? Pretty decent.

“So. Shall we bring them here?” says my mother. “Joan does like Italian”
“I thought you said ‘she eats anything’?”
“Goldstone…”
A pause.
“The GLDHI’s mother likes steak. I think she’d prefer the Argentinian”
“Oh”
“That’s settled then”
“Goldstone…”
“What? You’d prefer we came here?”
“GOLDSTONE…”
“Sigh”

£50/head including a cocktail and the wine [I do hope that’s ok]

We get home. I was on a promise.

“…?”
“Snore”
“FFS”

FFS.

Edit:

Scroll forward to this morning…

“Italian or Argentinian then?”
“Your mother would prefer Italian”
“But your mother would prefer steak. Wouldn’t she?”
“Yes. But Joan would apparently prefer Italian”
“Mum said, and I’ve witnessed, that Joan eats anything”
“Muh huh. But your mother wants to have Italian”
“And your mother would prefer steak. Tell you what: why don’t you take my mother to the Italian and I take your mother to the Argentinian? An added bonus: we can ask Joan which she’d prefer”
“You’re not serious are you?”
“Yes”
“Goldstone”
“No then”
“Goldstone”

A long pause

“Which am I booking?”
“You decide”
“I already did that, and…”
“Goldstone”

A further pause.

“…?”, I enquire hopefully
“I need to get up. I’m in the office today. Could you run me to the station please?”

A pause

“Yes dear”

FFS.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Brilliant news for LFM. Fully deserved.

However, any list that has Endo above Core, Kitchen Table, and Martin Wishart inter alia can’t be taken too seriously… :wink:

I always think of Harden's as being Tripadvisor with delusions of grandeur. Not serious at all.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Market, Western Road

Been meaning to finally get here for so long. Will put in on the main list to visit.

I went to Moshimo the other day. The usual high quality unfussy food and with a membership lunch for two, without drinks, came to 35 quid and a fiver of that was tip. 8/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Market, Western Road

I went just before the pandemic and thought it was okay. I really struggle with tapas though. I go to Barcelona at least once a year and know some everyday places which knock out plates which are as good, if not better, than most I find in the UK. One exception is Barrafina in Soho….but then this is based on Cal Pep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here