Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant Thread 2022

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've only been to Ciarans for the BYO set meal. That I'd heartedly recommend. Not sure if it'll fit your bill outside of that.
Beyond that, can only reiterate the usual suspects: 4&C, CinCin, LFM and Salt Room (which you've just mentioned).
I posted a week ago that I've been really struggling to get a w/e table at a decent hour at Burnt Orange (which we're yet to go to) even when looking 6 to 8 weeks in advance. We went to Flint House about a year ago and it was good, but nowhere near as good as those listed above, but that does remind me of Gingerman, which I rated more highly. Sorry I can't be of more help: I'm a bit out of practice due to numerous circumstances.

I'm also looking at booking somewhere for my partner's b/day, and was interested to hear you indicating that Tutto is opening early/ier. Do you know when?

Tutto bookings now open. 18th September onwards

Jul 7, 2003
Salsa Viva Cantina - Worthing.

Been meaning to go here for a while but not easy to get a table as it is fairly small. We were first to arrive and the very nice lady who covers the front of house explained that the boss likes to book tables at 15 minute intervals to make sure the kitchen doesn't get swamped and people are not left waiting too long for their food - all very sensible in a small place and very different to our experience at the similarly sized Yamu Yamu last year.

Mrs DCH and I shared some nachos and Guacamole as well as sweet potato chips as starters. I'm always wary of sweet potato as often these are either slimey and tasteless or burnt to a crisp but these were just right and came with a chipotle yogurt dip.

For mains we shared tacos - one was a Pork Pibol, the other beef short rib with mole. Well filled tacos, very tasty meat with a nice kick but not overpowering. Decent selection of drinks - alcoholic and non at reasonable prices.

Very nice meal and will definitely return.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Salsa Viva Cantina - Worthing.

I really like it their, but they don’t advertise / promote themselves that we’ll really. Probably needs to change menu up a bit more or throw some specials in a bit more to get me in more regularly, but agreed decent place.

Jul 7, 2003
Zorba - Lewes. Impromptu visit with friends early on a Tuesday evening. Despite the name, it is a Turkish restaurant (family owned) with Lewes their second restaurant after Tunbridge Wells

Place was surprisingly busy for Tuesday evening but the service was friendly and efficient.

We had four main courses, all very nice, bottle of red wine, a beer and a soft drink for less than £100. There was a nice buzz to the place with a couple of family groups celebrating birthdays which were fun when the staff came out with little cakes.

Would go back again as good value for money.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Zorba - Lewes. Impromptu visit with friends early on a Tuesday evening. Despite the name, it is a Turkish restaurant (family owned) with Lewes their second restaurant after Tunbridge Wells

Place was surprisingly busy for Tuesday evening but the service was friendly and efficient.

We had four main courses, all very nice, bottle of red wine, a beer and a soft drink for less than £100. There was a nice buzz to the place with a couple of family groups celebrating birthdays which were fun when the staff came out with little cakes.

Would go back again as good value for money.
Surely, they should be renaming it Zerbi

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Noize, Whitfield St, nr Goodge St Tube

This place is fantastic yet, wierdly, I don't think the food is spectacular. The sommelier, Matthieu, is, as is his wife, Melinda, who serves brilliantly. Noize is somewhat of an outlier in that you can BYO and the corkage is either negligible or non-existent. On top of this, they have a great wine list. Why BYO? Because Matthieu loves wine, and wants to facilitate oenophiles. Our party of four took 7 bottles, and Matthieu tries all of them is happy to offer his views on them, their producers, the vintages, and so on, happy also to suggest an order in which to drink them, which was helpful in terms of the reds, so we went in this order:
Riesling Kabinett 2017 JJ Prum
Meursault 2017 1er Cru (forgotten the producer, but Matthieu thinks they're over-rated, and that the oak is too prominent although he did think this was one of their better wines -- I agree with that assessment: it was impressive, but no wow factor and a bit thin in the middle)
Nebbiolo Mascarello
A wine from Tenerife by Envinate
Morey-St-Denis VV Lignier-Michelot 2015 -- very nice, got a long life ahead of it
St Joseph Gonon 2017 -- a top, top SJ
Barolo Mosconi 2010 -- flat, something wrong with it, so we didn't drink it

We had a couple of other bottles but my memory can't recall.
The food:
snacks are brilliant, especially the gougeres and sole fritters with gooseberry and jalapeno
starters were somewhat underwhelming -- two of us had smoked eel and broad bean tart which would have benefited from more and more finely diced eel; the other two had a salt beef salad
Mains: all had a grouse pithivier which was impressive, with some indulgent mash and some other things
Cheese was good, didn't have dessert. We were well looked after and were seated outside as their dinner service was imminent, and had a couple of negronis with some complementary gougeres.
This is the second time we've been there in three months. Will be going back. If anyone wants to eat in London, and has some fancy wine in their cellar, I'd very much recommend.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Kusaki, Preston Circus

Vegetarian Japanese. Great decor, but ceiling is a bit low so acoustics not great (a sign I'm getting old), and this wasn't helped by the large tables such that diners are a distance from one another.
Food was hit and miss. Partner and son raved about the edamame and, when edamame are the item that are raved about, it's hardly the warmest endorsement. Tempura was a bit greasy. Dashi Tofu impressive. Aubergine Denaku a bit meh. Sushi somewhat odd and, ultimately, disappointing: made with black rice, it was just a bit too heavy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bardsleys

Haven't been out to eat in Brighton for a while, but went to the old stalwart on Saturday lunchtime after the Friday night Kusaki visit. Still consistently the best fish and chips I know of, the haddock was just perfect. As good as when Roy and Audrey were there, although still miss their company.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A new place has opened a few minutes walk from my apartment which describes itself as 'a modern interpretation of an Asian diner and takeout, inspired by Western style dishes in Asia.'

Asia is a big place, not really understanding what Western dishes in this big place means, being hungry and not being arsed to cook last Friday decided to visit. It's a smart, small, modern, light and bright with mainly small square wood tables and stools type of venue, you order at the counter then take your seat...or stool.

Turn outs its Vietnamese, menu has 2 dishes with rice plus a handful of sandos (this is Australian for sandwich apparently), croquettes and fries and things.

We went for the Korokke Curry and Coca-cola glazed pork belly (the two rice dishes) with more Korokke (croquette ) and katzu chicken to start. I had a good look at the other menu items going out and the sandwiches are a meal in themselves and the katzu chicken sando looked awaesome. It's quick, tasty, can serve a number of eating needs (i.e. proper dinner or a decent fast-food option or even a snack), has a nice diner vibe and is a welcome addition to my neighbourhood. I sense more cant-be-arsed-to-cook moments.

Oh, they only had two wines and both were natural....one looked like a bottle of Ribena, the other fanta. Went for Beer.

https://www.wallpaper.com/entertaining/dashi-asian-diner-berlin-mitte-district

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Was due to go to the new Tutto this week (same owners as Coal Shed, Salt Room, Burnt Orange) but they’ve closed temporarily. Sounds like they rushed the opening and not had a great launch service wise, and from a building / furnishing perspective !

Any suggestions for a nice mid week lunch ? Not the Flint House or Burnt Orange as been there a lot recently

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thompson, St Albans - 3 AA Rosettes

I've never really understood the point of AA rosettes. Surely all you need is Michelin &/or Good Food Guide rating? Anyway, Thompson seems proud to be the 'only 3 rosette restaurant in Herts'.

My mother and I took the GLDHI there for her birthday. They do only set menus: a 7- and 9-course veggie, and a 7- and 9-course non-veggie.

The preprandial cocktails were very good, particularly the non-alcoholic one ordered by the GLDHI (she's with child, hence the lack of alcohol).

They showed the highest degree of flexibility around their set menus that I've ever seen - swapping courses between the veggie and non-veggie, and between the 7- and 9-course menus with a cheery smile and an 'of course; that's fine'.

The food quality was really very good. Michelin 1 star? No, not quite - but headed in that direction. Wine list decent, with low mark-up. A definite keeper.

Next up - Kitchen Table 10-year anniversary dinner on Thursday. Their attitude to altering their set menu is equally legendary ('F*** off. I put a lot of work into getting this menu right; just eat it' being the sentiment if not the words). The GLDHI can no longer come due to the temporary dietary restrictions, so I'll be taking a mate instead. If I can find one.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Thompson, St Albans - 3 AA Rosettes

I've never really understood the point of AA rosettes. Surely all you need is Michelin &/or Good Food Guide rating? Anyway, Thompson seems proud to be the 'only 3 rosette restaurant in Herts'.

My mother and I took the GLDHI there for her birthday. They do only set menus: a 7- and 9-course veggie, and a 7- and 9-course non-veggie.

The preprandial cocktails were very good, particularly the non-alcoholic one ordered by the GLDHI (she's with child, hence the lack of alcohol).

They showed the highest degree of flexibility around their set menus that I've ever seen - swapping courses between the veggie and non-veggie, and between the 7- and 9-course menus with a cheery smile and an 'of course; that's fine'.

The food quality was really very good. Michelin 1 star? No, not quite - but headed in that direction. Wine list decent, with low mark-up. A definite keeper.

Next up - Kitchen Table 10-year anniversary dinner on Thursday. Their attitude to altering their set menu is equally legendary ('F*** off. I put a lot of work into getting this menu right; just eat it' being the sentiment if not the words). The GLDHI can no longer come due to the temporary dietary restrictions, so I'll be taking a mate instead. If I can find one.

I'll come :D

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Was due to go to the new Tutto this week (same owners as Coal Shed, Salt Room, Burnt Orange) but they’ve closed temporarily. Sounds like they rushed the opening and not had a great launch service wise, and from a building / furnishing perspective !

Any suggestions for a nice mid week lunch ? Not the Flint House or Burnt Orange as been there a lot recently

The Urchin

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Jul 7, 2003
Meze Meze, Lancing - been meaning to try this place for a while. Mrs DCH and I went for an early evening visit to this Greek restaurant. Nice setting and friendly staff.

Mrs DCH had the Koubes - bulgar wheat parcels stuffed with mince and herbs to start followed by Stifado - a rich red wine stew with meat that had been cooked long and slow and fell apart. She had some patates lemonates on the side - potatoes roasted in olive oil and lemon I had the Keftedes - beef and mint meatballs followed by Sheftalyes - pork with onions and herbs.

Portions were large and very good value - we each had a drink and it still came in at less than £50.

Very good value for money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here