Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I got as far as “ heat-blistered sardines with fried bread and an anchovy cream.” before thinking I HAVE TO go to this restaurant.
Spookily, I had a nice tin of Sardines on a toasted Granary Roll for brekkie today!

Edit : I've probably saved myself 6.8 on that as well.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I managed to get halfway through the article before I got bored with the waffle and speed read some of the rest. God, does Rayner go on or what? Absolute load of tosh, at least Grace Dent can do succinct.

Decided to ignore the rest of the review and go straight for their menu, sounds ok although the Hipster style pricing, which leaves the "£" off the price, makes most of the dishes look like they have been scored out of ten.

I really like Rayner's writing. Essentially he has to fill "X" number of words each week essentially based on what he eaten, you have to riff on other stuff to do that. I'd take that over Naylor's prose any day.

Here I suspect he mentions the Skint offices because he knows Midfield General who is involved in The Sportsman in Whitstable. And "curating" is a pet hate of mine (plus he likes the same sort of food as me).

But if I was FORCED to choose between him and Grace Dent as a dinner date then, sorry Jay, it's Grace all day long. :love: :love: :love:

I'm with Herr T. It's a review that ultimately makes me want to eat their food.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I managed to get halfway through the article before I got bored with the waffle and speed read some of the rest. God, does Rayner go on or what? Absolute load of tosh, at least Grace Dent can do succinct.

Decided to ignore the rest of the review and go straight for their menu, sounds ok although the Hipster style pricing, which leaves the "£" off the price, makes most of the dishes look like they have been scored out of ten.

Rayner over Dent all day long for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I really like Rayner's writing. Essentially he has to fill "X" number of words each week essentially based on what he eaten, you have to riff on other stuff to do that. I'd take that over Naylor's prose any day.

Here I suspect he mentions the Skint offices because he knows Midfield General who is involved in The Sportsman in Whitstable. And "curating" is a pet hate of mine (plus he likes the same sort of food as me).

But if I was FORCED to choose between him and Grace Dent as a dinner date then, sorry Jay, it's Grace all day long. :love: :love: :love:

I'm with Herr T. It's a review that ultimately makes me want to eat their food.

Agree with this. When Rayner was celebrating 20 years as a critic he wrote about his review style. He said that he always weaves a related side story into his review, to highlight something of interest but to also make the review more interesting. I note that NSC’s answer to Jay Rayner, [MENTION=7710]Goldstone1979[/MENTION] adopts this tactic to good affect as well.

I like Jay Rayner and his writing; I guess it helps, as you say, that I like the same stuff as him but his humour and style amuse me. He also successfully conveys the “vibe” of restaurants which is important.

Grace or Jay…..Grace Dent seems intimidating….I’ll go Grace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Spookily, I had a nice tin of Sardines on a toasted Granary Roll for brekkie today!

Edit : I've probably saved myself 6.8 on that as well.

….no anchovy cream?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I eventually found myself at the Bolney Estate today, l've lived just along the road from there for the past 30 odd years but never quite managed to get there until now.

I was frankly amazed by what l saw,l certainly in terms of the sheer scale of the operation, no longer the small winery that itonce was, and indeed they are celebrating their half century of planting their first vines next year.

Not really intending to eat, the wife and l decided to go the whole hog anyway, ordering cheese fritters and the charcuterie plate to start, followed by a Sunday roast, (chicken in my case), and a Cauliflower Pakora for the good lady, a bottle of "Bolney Bubbly" to wash it down with, and then two Americanos with Petite Fours to end the meal.

Good food and excellent service, what more could one ask for? I shall return.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I eventually found myself at the Bolney Estate today, l've lived just along the road from there for the past 30 odd years but never quite managed to get there until now.

I was frankly amazed by what l saw,l certainly in terms of the sheer scale of the operation, no longer the small winery that itonce was, and indeed they are celebrating their half century of planting their first vines next year.

Not really intending to eat, the wife and l decided to go the whole hog anyway, ordering cheese fritters and the charcuterie plate to start, followed by a Sunday roast, (chicken in my case), and a Cauliflower Pakora for the good lady, a bottle of "Bolney Bubbly" to wash it down with, and then two Americanos with Petite Fours to end the meal.

Good food and excellent service, what more could one ask for? I shall return.
Good call. Did the vineyard tour a few years back. Sounds a good choice when we don't fancy the hike into Brighton.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went to Burnt Orange today for lunch, better half went midweek and thought it worth a revisit as she wanted to try the set menu.
Hummus, lamb cigars and the flat bread were the stand outs for me. Very interesting menu lots of choices. I’d put this on a par with the Flint house.
Cost for a shared set menu, 2 desserts and a lager was £96 including 12.5 % service charge.
Was full but staff attentive. Tables for two were a bit close together so a lot of unwanted conversation shared. I’d go back. Good choice of cocktails and snacks so could be a good place for drinks.

Menu we had
BA3A72C9-EB82-45F8-9EA7-B00E0DC25911.jpeg

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ended up for an impromptu lunch at Yes Chef gaff - Boathouse In The Marina. Wasn’t planned and wasn’t really that hungry - but shared the ‘Fish Finger’ sandwich - which was huge bits of fish and nice light batter. Also the salt & pepper squid was really good, nice change from the usual offering. Only slight downside and I’m bit of a snob but my flat white seemed like an Americano with milk and was a bit grainy. But nice location with a decent sun terrace. Will go back for a proper dinner

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Barts SW3. La Poule au Pot SW1

Cocktail bar beside Gaucho, just along from Bibendum, followed by a French Brasserie on the border of Pimlico and Chelsea. The brasserie is an institution; it’s been there for 50+ years.

I could write a long review on both, but I just CBA.

Suffice to say that I make better cocktails (and don’t require a password to enter my premises [tossers]) and cook escargots, coquilles, lapin, and poule au pot better.

Sigh - avoid like the plague.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Had dinner with friends last night at Andalucia Tapas and Wine Bar in Ferring.

The food and wine list were both excellent, would wholeheartedly recommend.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Barts SW3. La Poule au Pot SW1

Cocktail bar beside Gaucho, just along from Bibendum, followed by a French Brasserie on the border of Pimlico and Chelsea. The brasserie is an institution; it’s been there for 50+ years.

I could write a long review on both, but I just CBA.

Suffice to say that I make better cocktails (and don’t require a password to enter my premises [tossers]) and cook escargots, coquilles, lapin, and poule au pot better.

Sigh - avoid like the plague.

Top three or five cocktails please (I no longer drink them, but could easily be persuaded)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Grey goose martini, very dry, up, with a twist
Old fashioned
Long Island ice tea

Whisky sour
Mojito

(Beefeater or Tanqueray) Martini, with an olive
Negroni
Old fashioned (I used to be content making these -- just takes some patience)
Margherita
Whisky sour

Bramble as a neo-cocktail

spinoza

Aug 31, 2012
Have we done Chamuyo? Top place but I've not been there since pre lockdown which now makes me feel a bit bad.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Ended up for an impromptu lunch at Yes Chef gaff - Boathouse In The Marina. Wasn’t planned and wasn’t really that hungry - but shared the ‘Fish Finger’ sandwich - which was huge bits of fish and nice light batter. Also the salt & pepper squid was really good, nice change from the usual offering. Only slight downside and I’m bit of a snob but my flat white seemed like an Americano with milk and was a bit grainy. But nice location with a decent sun terrace. Will go back for a proper dinner

Sorry, only just seen this, thanks for the nice comments about the food, and I'll pass on your feedback about the coffee :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here