Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So probably the last bounce of this thread - especially as B&H is in Tier 4 - I just happen to have got out before Christmas.

A lunch time visit to Nathan Outlaw's in Port Issac. Beautiful setting overlooking Tintagal and the sea.

Water brought straight to the table without asking which always scores highly in my books and a decent bottle of wine from the Loire Valley ( one of my favourite places on earth ).

So on to the 'pre-starter' - Cod Roe, Jerusalem Artichoke crisps with Sough dough bread and Cornish butter. Generous portion and very nice.

Starter proper was two dishes - Raw Scallops, Citrus & Fennel with Yogurt and Cured Brill, Celeriac, Chilli & Coriander. I'm not a fan of either raw fish nor scallops in general ( why does everyone rave about them ? ) .... but two utterly fantastic dishes ..... could have eaten loads of both.

Next came Smoked Haddock, Curried Lentils & Curry Mayonnaise - the smoked haddock fish cake was great and I enjoyed the lentils. The mayo was too spicy for me but I am an absolute wimp when it comes to heat !

Now for the best dish on the menu - Turbot, Bacon, Roast Onion, Swede & char grilled Spouts in a red wine vinegar sauce. OMG !!!!! Best fish dish I've ever had ! This alone is worth his two Michelin Stars !!!! Fish not overcooked but equally not under cooked. Never tasted an onion like it either. Definitely 'last meal' standard.

And finally, the dessert - Chiox pastry bun, Chocolate, Peanut, Orange, Toffee Sauce - by far the best dessert I've ever had. Taste, texture and flavour all spot on. Mrs WS said she could have eaten 10 of them !

Overall, if you like the Little Fish Market then you'll love here ( it's actually better ! ) and if you like the Sportsman and fish then you'll also love it here ( just less courses ). Can't possibly give it anything but 10/10 - I will have been here for 2 weeks this coming weekend but I'd drive the 8 hours there and and the 8 hours back over a single weekend just to eat here again. Probably one of the best meals I've ever had.

Sounds very very nice but I think you missed the boat with the two Michelin stars. These went when the original restaurant closed and it re-opened as “an all together new offering” called Outlaw’s New Road.

https://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Ar...h-as-as-more-inclusive-and-accessible-concept

Or did you go to Fish Kitchen?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fourth & Church has still very much got it. We had the weekend set menu, and you don't have a choice over such things. Stand out dishes were the smoked cod's roey, sea bass tartare with cucumber juice, and pig cheeks with turnips. All of these were eclipsed by a staggeringly good 2017 Nebbiolo from Aldo Conterno. I'd tried some of Conterno's Barolos at a tasting at Butlers a few years back, and they were some of the best wines I've had. The Nebbiolo wasn't quite in that league, but it was quite something, with voluptuous tannins, and great concentration of fruit.
Due to their restricted opening, it was great to catch up with both Paul and Sam too. Need to get back there to sample their onglet cooked on their new grill.

That sea bass tartar with cucumber sounds especially nice. This place must now be a serious contender for number 1 in Brighton and Hove?

Jul 7, 2003
I was hoping to review Pitch again but we had to cancel our reservations yet again - hoping for a visit now in February if Boris lets us!

Just before xmas, I tried to go into The Fat Greek in Worthing for a quick bite of lunch but when we got to the door, we were told that they were not opening yet as the staff had all been sent up to the local COVID test station as a customer had been reported with a positive test.

Without much spare time, we managed to get into The Wood across the road. I had a burger in there which was okay - tasty enough although I wish they would serve one big burger rather than 2 x 3oz burgers - with fries which were good and a very good home made wild garlic mayonnaise. Daughter had their chorizo mac & cheese special which she said was good. What I really enjoyed was the cola iced tea that they have - very refreshing.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] will be delighted to learn that Fergus Henderson has been awarded an OBE in the NY Honours list (as has Margot).

Personally, I think that if ever you wanted an example of how broken and in need of radical overhaul our Honours system is, this award is the final proof. No doubt, HT will defend it tooth and nail, reactionary conservative that he is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] will be delighted to learn that Fergus Henderson has been awarded an OBE in the NY Honours list (as has Margot).

Personally, I think that if ever you wanted an example of how broken and in need of radical overhaul our Honours system is, this award is the final proof. No doubt, HT will defend it tooth and nail, reactionary conservative that he is.

And happy new year to you as well! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here