Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The ever excellent Fourth and Church last night. Good to see they were really busy. Menu has changed a bit with more eastern flavours appearing - chicken thighs with kimchi, aubergine/miso - these were great but I prefer the Spanish/ North African stuff. The duck beignets with piquillo ketchup were a highlight. The cauliflower dish seems to have gone as well. They also now have a charcoal grill so larger dishes featured steak, octopus, trout, duck hearts and aubergine available.
A well known restaurant critic was in there so maybe we’ll see a review in one of the papers in the near future.

Excellent, fully deserved. Are we going to have to wait until publication to find out the critic's identity?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A well known restaurant critic was in there so maybe we’ll see a review in one of the papers in the near future.

I look forward to next week’s Observer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ginger Fox tonight. As somebody put it earlier - hoping for a banging good dinner:D

I’ll be there on the 27th.

Had the Octoberbest menu at the Ginger Pig today and The Market Tuesday. Both very good in different ways.

£20 for oysters & steak and the Dog and a lovely tapas selection at the Market.

Jul 7, 2003
Having been out for lunch the last two days I experienced two very different ends of the customer service spectrum.

Wednesday - Brunswick & Thorn, Worthing. Seated at 12:15 for a light lunch, had to wait 10 minutes before seeing a menu as they were still being printed - not sure why as their menu hasn't changed for weeks - and took ages for the drinks to arrive despite there only being a handful of people in there. We ordered a Greek meze for one and some chorizo in wine with patatas bravas. At 13:10 I had to pop out as my parking ticket was about to run out. When the food came, there was no apology for the delay and they had missed out part of it. The food was fine but service was slow and poor.

Thursday - The Sportsman, Goddards Green. Seated at 12:15 for lunch, drinks delivered swiftly and orders taken quickly. Someone then came to query our order as they had accidentally added cheese to my burger and to ask if that was okay. As I am allergic, I said it wasn't so they went away and made cooked it all fresh (none of the 'scrape it off and see if he notices' I have experienced in the past). My friends' meals were served to them and I was offered some nibbles while I was waiting and they also said the they would take my meal off the bill as an apology for the inconvenience. Further apologies when they brought us the bill.

Will be back to the Sportsman again soon, will look for somewhere else in Worthing

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Got to stick my hand up for Poco Loco in Shoreham/Lancing

Now delivering further afield (we're in Portslade) this is as authentically Spanish as you can get.

https://www.facebook.com/PocoLocoKitchen86/

We've now had two deliveries from them. You need to order in advance (as in days in advance) over Facebook messenger and you can pay online or cash on delivery. You will also need to specify a delivery time. Food has arrived piping hot both times and their customer service is amazing. Today we ordered for a 6pm delivery slot which arrived at 6.04pm. We wouldn't have noticed except for the fact they messaged us to say they might be a little late due to the traffic on the seafront coming back from the beach.

Patatas Bravas are fried in their skins for super crunchy spuds in spicy sauce. Meatballs are straight out of the backstreets of Barcelona (my son said it reminded him of our football trip over there). Mushrooms and cheese on sourdough is super delicious but very, very rich, so split this. Chorizo and cider is fairly much the perfect thing to have with the Spanish red wine I dug out (Bardos Ribera del Duero Reserva in case [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] or [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] are reading this and not the drinking thread).

From what I read they were just starting to set up a popular pop up / street food business when Covd hit. As a result there are a couple of dishes that are a little on the ordinary side that i think have been added as makeweights. They are the calamari, which are very good examples of the genre but, let's face it, not exactly ground breaking, and the bread which seems to be the part baked baguettes you can get in supermarkets. However, have the bread, because if you order everything else you wll need it to mop up all the delicious sauces. Everything else is the sort of street food that would, in ordinary times, have a huge queue of happy people fighting over it.

Best of all are the churros. The kids want us to order them every day :lol:

Easily the best Spanish I've had outside of Spain.

I'm tempted to go for this (pocoloco, not the wine) - have you reordered recently?

In other news got Med booked for next week and I'm inordinately excited about if. Looks right up my camino

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm tempted to go for this (pocoloco, not the wine) - have you reordered recently?

In other news got Med booked for next week and I'm inordinately excited about if. Looks right up my camino

Last one was probably about a month and a half ago. Was absolutely excellent. Currently trying to pursuade her indoors to order again next weekend (because in her and the kids' affections it's competing directly with Thai and Chinese)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Going next week. What was verdict

We had a wonderful evening. The staff were delightful, attentive, but not intrusive. Good atmosphere with quiet music in the background and pleasant soft lighting with tee lights dotted around. The food was outstanding from start to finish. Mrs Earle had the Pressed Ham Hock starter and I had the Smoked Salmon Scotch Egg. If I knew how to load a photo from my phone, I'd post a picture of mine because it looked as good as it tasted. We both had the steak, carefully cooked how we requested and rested to the best we have tasted, with chips cooked in duck fat. Glass of Malbec to accompany. Piece de resistance was the Popcorn Panacotta with foam and banana. Gorgeous. Topped off with a glass of Ridgeview fizz to celebrate our anniversary and the staff brought out a plate decorated in chocolate sauce with Happy Anniversary and a couple of tasty squares of their fudge to smear through it. Arguably our best meal ever. I'm jealous of you for next week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One has to love Trollburger:

“ Free kids burger all throughout half term for anyone struggling after the recent announcement by the government that they’re scrapping free school meals.

Come along any time 12-8pm Thursday 29th - Saturday 31st October to claim.

Beef or vegan patty, home made ketchup and optional salad. (Organic Heinz ketchup can be provided for fussy eaters)

No need to feel any shame and no need to prove eligibility. This government has let us down once again. Just use the password “TORY SCUM” to qualify.

I was going to go with something ruder but not in front of the kids eh?

P.S you are still welcome even if you voted tory. I forgive you x

#****thetories #toryscum #freeschoolmeals”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If anyone wants to donate to Trollburger to help cover his costs, after a customers asked, he has put up an email address on his FB page to arrange donations.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Couple of new ones:

Med, Brighton

'Small plates' does my box a bit sometimes but this was good stuff. Padron peppers were superb as was a whole stuffed mackerel. Clams in chorizo was if anything a bit too chorizoy. Chicken romesco was the only slight let down. Mrs MBH and I both absolutely stuffed plus a decent bottle of plonk for £110. Shit music.

Sasso, Portslade

Cheap pizza where that Portuguese cafe used to be next to Tesco's. Absolutely delicious pizza base. Lovely lovely staff. Great value. No alcohol license yet but absolutely worth a visit / takeaway.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Siam Siam

Not a bad little Thai restaurant, starters and mains were both well cooked and seasoned and above average. It would have been better if the right starter had been bought to our table and it works better when you bring out the main you clear the finished starter beforehand.

8/10 would go back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here