Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I presumed the issue was mainly with people cancelling at short notice but it seems there’s also significant numbers who don’t even call ahead and cancel ie they just don’t turn up. Agree, it’s shockingly poor behaviour.

I called up the night before. It was to The Sportsman too, and my dining partner was my mum who had a few bad periods towards the end of her life. We did manage to get there together though.

Jul 7, 2003
Pitch Worthing - Sunday Lunch - First restaurant visit post-lockdown and it is a visit to Pitch where we were supposed to visit for our wedding anniversary in June. Not easy to get reservations but we managed to get a table for Sunday lunch. To follow the previous posts, bookings were held against a credit card to minimise the risk of no shows.

On arrival, it was noticeable that there were fewer tables in the ground floor dining area (I believe they have reduced by around 30%). All staff were suitably masked up and hand sanitiser for you to use when you first get through the door. We were seated on the first floor and again, plenty of space between the tables.

We chose not to have a starter as previous experience was that three courses are too much and we preferred the sound of the dessert to the starters. Mrs DCH had the herb roasted chicken, I had the roast sirloin of beef. Both came with a large Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and a beef & red wine gravy which was very rich and tasty. We were also given honeyed carrots and leeks in a mustard cream. We added Swede mashed with clotted cream.

It was all very good but the swede was excellent - so smooth and creamy but not sickly. The portion size was just right although I would have liked an extra slice of beef but that was just because it was so good - it just melted in the mouth.

For dessert we both had the raspberry and white chocolate trifle. This came out as a deconstructed trifle with a base of set raspberry puree (best way I can describe it), white chocolate cream, fresh raspberries and slices of sponge.

We had tap water on the table and a couple of home made strawberry lemonades and the bill came to less than £65 including service charge.

In comparison to somewhere like the George at Burpham, the lunch was better quality for a similar price but a much nicer environment. Service was very good and the restaurant has a nice relaxed atmosphere.

We will be returning for an evening meal at some point soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
KIN DEE, Lützowstr. 81 10785 Berlin
1 Michelin star

Thai food isn’t first choice for me, and Berlin Asian food from any region is generally low grade and basic. But I was persuaded by a couple of people to venture out west and I’m glad I did.

Kin Dee is the brainchild of Dalad Kambhu, a former NYC student and model turned hospitality guru and the artist Rirkrit Tiravanija. After a few years of experimenting with pop-ups in NYC and then Berlin, and with the backing of the Grill Royal Group, they opened their first bricks and mortar restaurant. The backing of GRG, which has a number of established high-end eateries in the city, ensured instant exposure. The Michelin star followed after a couple of years.

It was a warm summer evening and we had the choice of inside or out. As it was a new restaurant for me, and I wanted to experience the restaurant, we went inside but sat near the door to keep cool. The menu is based on sharing plates, 7 plates spread over 4 courses with a few choices to be taken. Warm evenings call for cooled champagne; a glass was consumed whilst we perused the menu and plotted our way into the evening.

First course served up 3 dishes the highlight being the glass noodle salad with smoked fish, salted eggs and peanut. We had some teething problems with the sharing plates... mainly with challenging each other on the portion sizes we were taking; we settled on the you-cut-I-choose approach. We haven’t got to 10 years of marriage without workarounds like this.

Next was confit octopus in kaprao sauce with a cucumber salad. The sauce was dark, rich, spicy and sticky. The octopus grilled so it’s ends were crispy and burnt. The dish of the night.

Main course was a pork neck Tay Poe, a tangy pork curry, and steamed brill which was cooked with oil and some citrus. I’m not a dessert person and my memory seems to have erased this course from my mind.

We took the wine pairing, I’m learning about wine, and the one I liked most was a Clements Busch Riesling.

The restaurant has a relaxed feel, whilst there is a lot of variety across the menu the individual dishes are simply prepared but very tasty, the service friendly. One star means “a very good restaurant” in Michelin terms, and this is a very good restaurant.

The price per person was €130, for 4 courses, a glass of champagne, the wine pairing, coffee and a 10%-ish tip. That’s very reasonable for the quality imho.

In other news, my quest to help the hospitality sector through this tough time, tonight I complete my “Bird Hat-trick”. I went to The Bird BBQ Tuesday and Friday and tonight I’m back in their burger joint. Back after a gap of two whole weeks.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Troll's Burger

Haven't been out to eat since lockdown, but we ventured back this lunchtime with a preordered and prepaid 12.30 burger and fries, which was ready on arrival. Worked a treat. Beyond being tasty, the burgers are juicy. I still prefer Burger Brothers, but this runs it close and, being outside The Evening Star, impeccably located.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surprised to find that nobody seems to have posted the Eat Out To Help Out link that lists you the participating independent restaurants/pubs within 5 miles of an entered postcode

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-...23.1857558773.1596201597-873059268.1596201597

Delighted to find Casa Don Carlos included in that list. Duly booked and can't WAIT :clap:

Good shout. 10 quid meals at Cin Cin. This is the exact definition of a no-brainer. Doing your bit has never been easier.

Attachments

• 65CE0C90-82F8-4550-AA04-16F3A33DC4DF.jpeg
    65CE0C90-82F8-4550-AA04-16F3A33DC4DF.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 109

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Got to stick my hand up for Poco Loco in Shoreham/Lancing

Now delivering further afield (we're in Portslade) this is as authentically Spanish as you can get.

https://www.facebook.com/PocoLocoKitchen86/

We've now had two deliveries from them. You need to order in advance (as in days in advance) over Facebook messenger and you can pay online or cash on delivery. You will also need to specify a delivery time. Food has arrived piping hot both times and their customer service is amazing. Today we ordered for a 6pm delivery slot which arrived at 6.04pm. We wouldn't have noticed except for the fact they messaged us to say they might be a little late due to the traffic on the seafront coming back from the beach.

Patatas Bravas are fried in their skins for super crunchy spuds in spicy sauce. Meatballs are straight out of the backstreets of Barcelona (my son said it reminded him of our football trip over there). Mushrooms and cheese on sourdough is super delicious but very, very rich, so split this. Chorizo and cider is fairly much the perfect thing to have with the Spanish red wine I dug out (Bardos Ribera del Duero Reserva in case [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] or [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] are reading this and not the drinking thread).

From what I read they were just starting to set up a popular pop up / street food business when Covd hit. As a result there are a couple of dishes that are a little on the ordinary side that i think have been added as makeweights. They are the calamari, which are very good examples of the genre but, let's face it, not exactly ground breaking, and the bread which seems to be the part baked baguettes you can get in supermarkets. However, have the bread, because if you order everything else you wll need it to mop up all the delicious sauces. Everything else is the sort of street food that would, in ordinary times, have a huge queue of happy people fighting over it.

Best of all are the churros. The kids want us to order them every day :lol:

Easily the best Spanish I've had outside of Spain.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Now delivering further afield (we're in Portslade) this is as authentically Spanish as you can get.

We've now had two deliveries from them. You need to order in advance (as in days in advance) over Facebook messenger and you can pay online or cash on delivery. You will also need to specify a delivery time. Food has arrived piping hot both times and their customer service is amazing. Today we ordered for a 6pm delivery slot which arrived at 6.04pm. We wouldn't have noticed except for the fact they messaged us to say they might be a little late due to the traffic on the seafront coming back from the beach.

Patatas Bravas are fried in their skins for super crunchy spuds in spicy sauce. Meatballs are straight out of the backstreets of Barcelona (my son said it reminded him of our football trip over there). Mushrooms and cheese on sourdough is super delicious but very, very rich, so split this. Chorizo and cider is fairly much the perfect thing to have with the Spanish red wine I dug out (Bardos Ribera del Duero Reserva in case [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] or [MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] are reading this and not the drinking thread).

From what I read they were just starting to set up a popular pop up / street food business when Covd hit. As a result there are a couple of dishes that are a little on the ordinary side that i think have been added as makeweights. They are the calamari, which are very good examples of the genre but, let's face it, not exactly ground breaking, and the bread which seems to be the part baked baguettes you can get in supermarkets. However, have the bread, because if you order everything else you wll need it to mop up all the delicious sauces. Everything else is the sort of street food that would, in ordinary times, have a huge queue of happy people fighting over it.

Sounds excellent!

The ‘16, or an earlier vintage?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I notice that there is a Romantico version of this wine. I'm working on the assumption that is the one you were drinking ... Friday night, and all that.
Beyond that, thanks for the tip. I hardly ever drink Ribero del Duero, and I really like it, so will have a peruse of the Majestic website.

Might give the take away a go too. Ta

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone got any decent recommendations for Brighton & Hove pubs serving good food with some outside sitting space?

Edit - if possible somewhere where the menu extends beyond the usual fare

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone got any decent recommendations for Brighton & Hove pubs serving good food with some outside sitting space?

Edit - if possible somewhere where the menu extends beyond the usual fare

Haus on the Hill have the chef from Bus Stop doing caribbean, and a have roof terrace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haus on the Hill have the chef from Bus Stop doing caribbean, and a have roof terrace.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I liked Bus Stop, and I like Brighton Bier brewery. Win win.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Had it pop up on my Facebook feed this morning that the Open House (two shakes of a lamb's tail from London Road station) is doing the Mon-Wed deal AND discounting alcoholic drinks by 50% - tho I'm pretty sure that Terms And Conditions Apply

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION].

Does the Urchin really shut at 9pm as their website suggests?

Pretty residential round there so more than likely they have to shut early, only ever been for lunch though.

Cor this is tough. Possibly the Roundhill who do a vegetarian menu which is menat to be decent (will be going there myself this month). Errr, what about Moshimo? Not a pub but the drinks are reasonable and they have lots of outdoor seating plus half price food with no limit Monday - Wednesday.

What about the Shelter Hall on the seafront, there's a few places operating out of there - https://restaurantsbrighton.co.uk/shelter-hall-brighton/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Worthing - Macmillans

For those that know this has been around for a long time - 20 years at least. Old school steak house until the start of this year.

I don’t know how true it is but I heard they the owner died and his son decided to take it over. During lockdown they ran a weekly take away menu that changed - mainly BBQ style food but everything from Korean, BBQ , Thai etc.

Ate in for the first time tonight - massive change in decor. It’s basically very meat liquor , quite cool and young trendy but ‘dive bar’ type feel. Staff all effortlessly friendly. Good mix of cocktails and camden hells lager & pale on tap. Few bottled beers.

For mains burger & steak seem to be the staples, but a bunch of other dishes changed from when I booked last week to this week. There is a strong ‘over the flame’ approach throughout.

Mix of ‘small plates’ , a few burgers and fillet, sirloin of a ribeye on the bone to share. Strong set of sides with an Asian feel (pak Choi, Asian slaw) and classics like Caesar salad, tripled cooked chips, fries, mac & cheese.

Shared the starter of crispy lamb belly which was cut into chunks, really nice juicy lamb belly with Chinese style Mongolian lamb crispy skin. Had a really interesting spicy sauce and pickled cucumber on the side.

I had the chilli cheese burger which was amazing. Was a ancho chilli / chipotle paste very much like uncle sams. Slightly pink patty and well melted cheese.

I’d say this is another welcome addition to Worthing scene, I think in the later evening it turns into more of a cocktail type bar as well which I can see working well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pitch in Worthing.

I think I'm the last person in Worthing to get to Masterchef winner Kenny Tutts restaurant.

Had always planned to go 'this week' for my partners birthday but EOTHO changed the dynamic of it. Absolutely rammed from 5pm-close apparently.

We had a very young waiter who I think was new, his knowledge of wine wasn't great and he didn't know what anything in a cocktail was (inc creme de cassis) which was not a great start for a restaurant positioning it certainly at the upper end of the scale for restaurant pricing in Worthing.

Shared the 'legendary' chorizo & machego doughnuts which were decent, apparently the goats cheese ones are a lot better but other half doesn't like goats cheese. Also had crab cake which was really nice, all crab meat too rather than filled with potato or whatever.

Unfortunately it went a bit wrong with the mains, despite a 30 minute wait (which is fine) my partners main (confit bbq chicken) actually came out as the hake. It all got a bit awkward as they said it would take 20mins to sort the correct dish and with my main there and a couple of sides it seemed a waste to send it all back. The manager quickly stepped in and I think they diverted the right main from another order after about 5 mins. That little mistake at least got a bottle of wine waived from the bill. I had the pork cutlet with bacon cassoulet which was decent and perfectly cooked piece of pork.

Dessert order was taken - chocolate 'orange bar' and the cereal milk panna cotta. Disaster again when my partners chocolate orange bar became the lemon curd tart. It all got rather embarrassing that the young lad serving us again had put through the wrong dish for my missus. Got to keep it and the correct one came out very swiftly. All 3 desserts were decent, really enjoyed the panna cotta. The manager came back to check everything was OK and noted the 3 desserts but to save any more embarrassment to the waiter we just laughed it off as couldn't make our minds up.

So service pretty poor but quickly rectified - I notice a lot of places now rely on staff 'remembering' orders and if the lad was clearly quite young and new to the job especially thrown into a fully booked restaurant with EOTHO then they need to look at this. It certainly cost them an expensive bottle of wine and a dessert and who knows what happened to the wrong Hake dish afterwards.

Still as a treat place I'd go back, I think it is well priced that is not 'stupidly' high end but certainly a fairly expensive meal. Great addition to Worthing which has lacked something like this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here