Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m off to CookiesCream next Friday. I’ve been before, about 10 years ago, but when it was a night club. The owner, and Berlin scenster, decided he’d had enough of discos (he got older) and turned the venue into a vegetarian restaurant. A few years later he earned a Michelin star. Whilst a hand-wringing Guardian reader and moral high-ground occupier, I’m not a vegetarian. I am not averse to plant based plates but I don’t usually go looking for it either...especially not in higher-end establishments. A friend has invited me; I go open minded. I’ve been assured it’s not all natural wines.

Cookies Cream
BEHRENSTRASSE 55, 10115 BERLIN
1 Michelin star.

I’d heard that CookiesCream was hard to find but I eventually gave up and messaged my friend and dining partner who was already there. “Stand on the road outside the hotel, I’ll come and get you”. He found me and took me round the rear of the hotel down a badly lit and covered service area; it reminded me of that road which goes immediately behind the Brighton Centre. A few turns and suddenly, still in the service road, I’m standing next to a fancy sofa, some high chairs and tables....and numerous commercial waste bins. We are still outside the restaurant at this point, on what I presume is their terrace. Fancy furniture, reasonably well dressed people, plonked down in the gutter next to the dustbins; it’s all rather incongruous. I see the first rat of the evening. I remember [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] was bemused by a one star Michelin establishment having a bouncer on the door. I did wonder what he’d make of this similarly starred front entrance.

Although I’m late, my table’s not ready, so we opt for two glasses of champagne on the “terrace”...although they don’t do champagne so I take a Crémant instead. It has a strange taste...”like it’s been in a sherry barrel” my friend says. It was “natural”...just like all my other wines will be. We finish these and make our way up some stairs to our table. A young skinny thing on the door asks if we have been before, we say yes but when it was Cookies nightclub; she said she’d heard lots of stories about the club but had never been.....as she was too young when it was open.......

The dining room has gone for the industrial look, bare concrete, aluminium ventilation ducts and metal lights hanging from the ceiling and art hanging on the walls. Minimal techno played in the background. If I had to guess I’d say there were a lot of 30/40 something arts and creative industry types in the space; it’s vibrant and feels like Friday night post work. The staff were seemingly either arts graduates or tattooed hipsters.

We went for 7 courses including their two signature dishes which were 20 euros extra each.

We also went for the wine pairing. Now, I was led to believe they had normal wines...they’re exclusively natural these days. My heart sunk a little. After I explained my reticence I was told to put my trust in the young tattooed hipster wine waiter and open my mind a little. I rolled my eyes at this but as he was speaking, depending on where he ranked his English, in either his 2nd, 3rd or 4th language I decided to ignore it and assume something got lost in translation. But he then spoke as though I was new to natural wine; I had my first bottle at that Silo place in Brighton ten years back. The first was extreme, or funky as they call it, and coincidentally from a bar in know well in Barcelona. We then veered between quite nice and a bit sour. I’m still not convinced.

The food was something else though. As previously mentioned it’s meat-free; I really did like it. The onsen egg yoke with seaweed caviar, sour cream and chive was excellent. But the two signature dishes were superb: dim sum truffle with cauliflower and potato foam and Parmesan dumpling with artichoke. I had a chilled red light bodied and slightly sour wine with the truffle dish which complimented it well. The last dish was a soft white chocolate ring with basil ice cream which was also excellent.

Overall I had a great and very enjoyable evening with a good friend. I would not go back through choice due to the wine, but if someone invited me I wouldn’t complain.

Next up is Kin Dee... this Saturday. It’s a 1 starred Michelin Thai place recommended by [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION].

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cookies Cream
BEHRENSTRASSE 55, 10115 BERLIN
1 Michelin star.

I’d heard that CookiesCream was hard to find but I eventually gave up and messaged my friend and dining partner who was already there. “Stand on the road outside the hotel, I’ll come and get you”. He found me and took me round the rear of the hotel down a badly lit and covered service area; it reminded me of that road which goes immediately behind the Brighton Centre. A few turns and suddenly, still in the service road, I’m standing next to a fancy sofa, some high chairs and tables....and numerous commercial waste bins. We are still outside the restaurant at this point, on what I presume is their terrace. Fancy furniture, reasonably well dressed people, plonked down in the gutter next to the dustbins; it’s all rather incongruous. I see the first rat of the evening. I remember [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] was bemused by a one star Michelin establishment having a bouncer on the door. I did wonder what he’d make of this similarly starred front entrance.

Although I’m late, my table’s not ready, so we opt for two glasses of champagne on the “terrace”...although they don’t do champagne so I take a Crémant instead. It has a strange taste...”like it’s been in a sherry barrel” my friend says. It was “natural”...just like all my other wines will be. We finish these and make our way up some stairs to our table. A young skinny thing on the door asks if we have been before, we say yes but when it was Cookies nightclub; she said she’d heard lots of stories about the club but had never been.....as she was too young when it was open.......

The dining room has gone for the industrial look, bare concrete, aluminium ventilation ducts and metal lights hanging from the ceiling and art hanging on the walls. Minimal techno played in the background. If I had to guess I’d say there were a lot of 30/40 something arts and creative industry types in the space; it’s vibrant and feels like Friday night post work. The staff were seemingly either arts graduates or tattooed hipsters.

We went for 7 courses including their two signature dishes which were 20 euros extra each.

We also went for the wine pairing. Now, I was led to believe they had normal wines...they’re exclusively natural these days. My heart sunk a little. After I explained my reticence I was told to put my trust in the young tattooed hipster wine waiter and open my mind a little. I rolled my eyes at this but as he was speaking, depending on where he ranked his English, in either his 2nd, 3rd or 4th language I decided to ignore it and assume something got lost in translation. But he then spoke as though I was new to natural wine; I had my first bottle at that Silo place in Brighton ten years back. The first was extreme, or funky as they call it, and coincidentally from a bar in know well in Barcelona. We then veered between quite nice and a bit sour. I’m still not convinced.

The food was something else though. As previously mentioned it’s meat-free; I really did like it. The onsen egg yoke with seaweed caviar, sour cream and chive was excellent. But the two signature dishes were superb: dim sum truffle with cauliflower and potato foam and Parmesan dumpling with artichoke. I had a chilled red light bodied and slightly sour wine with the truffle dish which complimented it well. The last dish was a soft white chocolate ring with basil ice cream which was also excellent.

Overall I had a great and very enjoyable evening with a good friend. I would not go back through choice due to the wine, but if someone invited me I wouldn’t complain.

Next up is Kin Dee... this Saturday. It’s a 1 starred Michelin Thai place recommended by [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION].

Back alleys, rats, no champagne, sour wine, young waitresses, hipster sommelier (did he have a man bag, perchance?) - yes, it sounds right up your street. :smile:

Food sounds great though - and when push comes to shove, that’s the most important thing.

Glad you had a good time, HT.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Back alleys, rats, no champagne, sour wine, young waitresses, hipster sommelier (did he have a man bag, perchance?) - yes, it sounds right up your street. :smile:

Food sounds great though - and when push comes to shove, that’s the most important thing.

Glad you had a good time, HT.

Didnt think it was a good idea to order champagne in some restaurants. Part of the old champagne region is in Germany and although their version is called Sekt there are some really good ones and they are prideful of it. For example there is a German Mumm.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Didnt think it was a good idea to order champagne in some restaurants. Part of the old champagne region is in Germany and although their version is called Sekt there are some really good ones and they are prideful of it. For example there is a German Mumm.

There are indeed some excellent sekts (typically they’ll be winzersekts), but often made from varietals not used in Champagne (Riesling & Pinot Blanc for example) - I’m fond of Reichsrat von Buhl’s house style particularly. Like most wines though, the good ones have to be searched for; in the case of sekt there have to be 1.5k+ growers of which well over 1k will produce a wine reminiscent of Sarsons’ best. Not unique to sekt- far from it. Most wine is garbage, but when the grower combines farming skills, meteorology, bio-chemistry, craftsmanship, art, and love - well, then a little miracle is born.

Yes, I’ll get my coat.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There are indeed some excellent sekts (typically they’ll be winzersekts), but often made from varietals not used in Champagne (Riesling & Pinot Blanc for example) - I’m fond of Reichsrat von Buhl’s house style particularly. Like most wines though, the good ones have to be searched for; in the case of sekt there have to be 1.5k+ growers of which well over 1k will produce a wine reminiscent of Sarsons’ best. Not unique to sekt- far from it. Most wine is garbage, but when the grower combines farming skills, meteorology, bio-chemistry, craftsmanship, art, and love - well, then a little miracle is born.

Yes, I’ll get my coat.

No it is great to read :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, I’ll get my coat.

I take it you're not in the process of moving :smile:
I used to flog vB's Rieslings, not tried their Sekt though. We don't drink much fizz, and if memory serves me right (it got hazy), that was extended to are rare but pleasant interactions.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Sekts with a German Mumm? You know where that'll end up...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I take it you're not in the process of moving :smile:
I used to flog vB's Rieslings, not tried their Sekt though. We don't drink much fizz, and if memory serves me right (it got hazy), that was extended to are rare but pleasant interactions.

We are actually! To a place with two cellars - one originally built as a wine cellar, replete with a tiny stream running down a gully in the centre - a 3-week test showed perfect temperature and humidity. I might, just might be able to consolidate the stock from various pubs scattered around the country and bonded warehouses into my own place.

It did indeed get hazy, and was very pleasant. I think I may have told a NSC member to 'F*** Off' when he suggested contributing to the cost of one of the bottles that we shared with him.

Watch out (both you and he) for the house warming invite (when we're allowed to hold it)...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We are actually! To a place with two cellars - one originally built as a wine cellar, replete with a tiny stream running down a gully in the centre - a 3-week test showed perfect temperature and humidity. I might, just might be able to consolidate the stock from various pubs scattered around the country and bonded warehouses into my own place.

It did indeed get hazy, and was very pleasant. I think I may have told a NSC member to 'F*** Off' when he suggested contributing to the cost of one of the bottles that we shared with him.

Watch out (both you and he) for the house warming invite (when we're allowed to hold it)...

I've cleared a year in my diary for the invite. That one that warranted the FO and I will sneak off underground, so he can be aware of the pleasures of what you've pulled together from across the country.

Jul 7, 2003
As there are a few fans of Jay Rayner on this thread, you might be interested in this:

https://brightondome.org/event/27117/jay_rayner/

Jay Rayner talks to Grace Dent about his raucous life in food and journalism on a live streamed event. You also get the chance to get a signed copy of his latest book for an extra fiver.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There’s been a lot of articles in the media the past week or so about restaurant no-shows and the huge impact they can have on a business. I never realised it was so bad. So bad there’s going to be an advertising campaign in an attempt to remedy the situation. This line particularly stood out “Michelin-starred chef Paul Ainsworth said that on Tuesday last week 27 people failed to show at his pub The Mariners in Rock, Cornwall.”

I appreciate people may, on occasion, have genuine reason to cancel at short notice but I struggle to believe this is the case for most cases given the figures being quoted. What the hell is wrong with people? And what sort of person would do this without good reason at the moment? I don’t normally get upset or angry but this is how I’m feeling right now.

I know there’s some chefs and hospitality workers on here, care to comment and give examples?

A separate issue is the expectation that restaurants should pass on the VAT reduction to the punters.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As it is the end customer who ultimately pays the VAT, why shouldn't the reduction be passed on?

The move is to help the hospitality sector, which is having to operate with a reduced capacity, and with typically small margins in the first place, so I’m fine with them keeping the money. I figure if I can afford to visit then I can afford to pay the regular price. This is just my view though. If restaurants are clear and upfront about passing on the discount, or not, I don’t see an issue; we can then make an informed decision. But, I’m led to believe some punters have a more entitled opinion that the reduction should be passed on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No show is just plain rude, my view is restaurants should now charge a fee at booking a table.

BTW I noticed Burger & Cocktails appears to have bit the dust (no great shame)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As it is the end customer who ultimately pays the VAT, why shouldn't the reduction be passed on?

Hospitality sector is in greater need than individuals. The 50% off / £10 thing is good enough for individuals

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There’s been a lot of articles in the media the past week or so about restaurant no-shows and the huge impact they can have on a business. I never realised it was so bad. So bad there’s going to be an advertising campaign in an attempt to remedy the situation. This line particularly stood out “Michelin-starred chef Paul Ainsworth said that on Tuesday last week 27 people failed to show at his pub The Mariners in Rock, Cornwall.”

I appreciate people may, on occasion, have genuine reason to cancel at short notice but I struggle to believe this is the case for most cases given the figures being quoted. What the hell is wrong with people? And what sort of person would do this without good reason at the moment? I don’t normally get upset or angry but this is how I’m feeling right now.

I know there’s some chefs and hospitality workers on here, care to comment and give examples?

A separate issue is the expectation that restaurants should pass on the VAT reduction to the punters.

I've done this once in my life, because my dining partner was seriously ill.
I'm glad that the industry is making a noise about this, it's shockingly poor behaviour and is what leads to some to take credit card bookings in advance, which I also hate, but if this is so prevalent, you can understand why they do it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm glad that the industry is making a noise about this, it's shockingly poor behaviour and is what leads to some to take credit card bookings in advance, which I also hate, but if this is so prevalent, you can understand why they do it.

Agreed.....deposits will have to become the norm.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I presumed the issue was mainly with people cancelling at short notice but it seems there’s also significant numbers who don’t even call ahead and cancel ie they just don’t turn up. Agree, it’s shockingly poor behaviour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This made me chuckle, it’s a brilliant initiative:

The charity Hospitality Action has launched an innovative ‘invisible chips’ campaign to raise funds for people in the restaurant business, suffering financially because of the current crisis. The campaign, fronted by Fred Sirieix, Heston Blumenthal and Tom Kerridge, invites diners to add a portion of fat-free, calorie-free, non-existent chips to their order, with all proceeds going to the charity. BrewDog is among the first companies to sign up, putting invisible chips on their menu at £3.95. Those who are not yet going out to eat but wish to contribute, and restaurants who want to sign up to the campaign, can do so at www.invisiblechips.org.uk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here