Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wondering through the city centre this morning for the first time in a while, not much has changed as yet. Carluccios is now or very soon to be a Five Guy , and there is a new restaurant in East Street called Kindling -- anyone know anything about it?

Kindling is trying to do Nordic open fire thing and mainly plant-bases I think. Don't know if it actually opened properly at any point before a March

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Kindling is trying to do Nordic open fire thing and mainly plant-bases I think. Don't know if it actually opened properly at any point before a March

Plant based , calling [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe meat-free is a better description then. I must admit I lazily used “plant based plates” more for its cadence than its gastronomical accuracy. I shall report back. I don’t naturally gravitate towards meat-free establishments but the last one I went to, Wild Beets which is owned by a friend of [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] blew me away. It was a distance from where I was staying but I was so impressed, and intrigued by the menu, I shoe-horned in a second visit. If this place is half as good I’ll enjoy myself.

It's a turn of phrase that has become used a lot and just grates with me, probably completely irrationally. Tesco use "Plant Chef" for a massive range of things now. I think I even saw Plant Chef mashed potato recently.

Plant based , calling [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Noted, thanks...

**** off.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Plant-based does just mean "veggie but not Quorn"
Kindling was supposed to do a bit of local meat and fish

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not exactly a restaurant as such, seeing as how these are by now pretty much alien concepts to us all. My post concerns restaurantEURs. Have to admit to binge-watching Rick Stein recently. Deeply drawn to his deeply mournful delivery. Have to say tho Rick: do you REALLY have to rock up at every sea food market in the Med, point at what are patently sardines, and ask the old granny behind the counter (usually through an interpreter) 'Are these SARDINES?'

Rick. Mate. If you don't know by now what a sardine is. Sake! :rolleyes:

Jul 7, 2003
We were due to celebrate our wedding anniversary at Pitch a few weeks ago. Have now got a booking for Sunday lunch there in a few weeks time - wanted to give them time to get back up to speed before visiting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting “debate” on Trollburger’s Facebook page at the moment. He has laid into an “influencer” who wanted a free burger in return for their influence. I’m not sure the influencer expected the response he/she got :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
#Trollburger

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So I guess we can now get back to reviewing restaurants now !

Trip yesterday to the Ancient Mariner. Back in normal times this place would be packed but yesterday less than 50% full even with social distancing. You now order your drinks via a QR code but it was dead easy and certainly didn't lessen the experience of actually being allowed out. Just roasts on Sunday for now. Was disappointed that the beef had finished and there was no lamb option. All three of us had the pork belly and it was well cooked and a large serving. Tonnes of veg - all perfectly cooked. If I had a criticism it would be the roast potatoes aren't crispy. They taste fantastic - not sure what they do to get the flavour - but they really should be crispy. Miss WS had a dessert ( only two options ) and she went for a brownie with Tangerine ice cream. Have to say it was the best brownie I've ever tasted and the ice cream ( more a sorbet ) was stunning too. All washed down with a decent wine. Cracking way to end the eating out lockdown. 9/10. Off to the Witchez next week - can't wait.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Interesting “debate” on Trollburger’s Facebook page at the moment. He has laid into an “influencer” who wanted a free burger in return for their influence. I’m not sure the influencer expected the response he/she got :lolol:

Good for Trollburger ( not that I can see the conversation as I'm not on Facebook ). Decent bloke who works really hard and buys the best ingredients. I would be intrigued to know if people like Jay Rayner pay for their meals that they review though.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
The Observer pay for Jay Rayner's meals. I'm pretty sure all proper restaurant critics' meals are paid for by the publication.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good for Trollburger ( not that I can see the conversation as I'm not on Facebook ). Decent bloke who works really hard and buys the best ingredients. I would be intrigued to know if people like Jay Rayner pay for their meals that they review though.

The Guardian/Observer pay for Jay Rayner’s meals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“Being an "influencer" with 3k followers is akin to calling yourself a wedding photographer cos you took a selfie near a church once.”

:lolol:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

fyi You can view Facebook pages without having an account/logging in.

Jul 7, 2003
[MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] - Are you back open now? I have some time off in a couple of weeks so if you are open, I'll try to come over for a late breakfast or lunch.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
[MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] - Are you back open now? I have some time off in a couple of weeks so if you are open, I'll try to come over for a late breakfast or lunch.

We are indeed, thank you for asking. We opened for takeaways just over 3 weeks ago and re-opened with the necessary precautions last Saturday. We are open Wed - Sunday at the moment, from 9-3ish and we have a reduced menu as you might expect.
Personally I'm still on furlough, hopefully I'll be back in August, naturally the girls will look after you anyway. I would like to say sincere thanks for the interest and support, and all being well things will be back to normal soon!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] Turns out that the GLDHI & I will be the only diners in ST when we visit. “We want to make sure you’re safe. Toru-san wants to be sure you enjoy your meal”. I suspect we will.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here