Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Got a lazy pizza delivery for dinner last night as it was ****ing hot and Uber had 2 for 1 on pizzas from Rustico at Fiveways which meant it was just as cheap at getting one from a shop. I've not used this place before as it's one of those places where you already know what their food will be like before you eat it and this was confirmed. Pretty bland, too doughy and not even an easy win of some dried oregano or something on the margherita. The house salad was some supermarket leaves turned over in a light dressing for 2.50. All in all it did a job one the day but wouldn't recommend unless it's thirty degrees and you want two pizzas and a salad to your door for 11 quid.

5/10

Got another Kitgum delivery coming today so that'll be nice won't it. Won't review but will recommend now anyway as they are bloody good and deserve support, new website here kitgumkitchen.com

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Got a lazy pizza delivery for dinner last night as it was ****ing hot and Uber had 2 for 1 on pizzas from Rustico at Fiveways which meant it was just as cheap at getting one from a shop. I've not used this place before as it's one of those places where you already know what their food will be like before you eat it and this was confirmed. Pretty bland, too doughy and not even an easy win of some dried oregano or something on the margherita. The house salad was some supermarket leaves turned over in a light dressing for 2.50. All in all it did a job one the day but wouldn't recommend unless it's thirty degrees and you want two pizzas and a salad to your door for 11 quid.

5/10

Got another Kitgum delivery coming today so that'll be nice won't it. Won't review but will recommend now anyway as they are bloody good and deserve support, new website here kitgumkitchen.com

What dishes do you go for from Kitgum? Might give it a bosh tonight. I RESPECT YOUR OPINION, CHAPPERS

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah the cut off was last night here. They just changed the menu again, which they are doing every two/three weeks.

We really like everything to be honest, but mostly stick to the veggie dishes, their mung bean dal (Moong Dal and Spinach Shaak) is particularly good though so get that for sure.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Balls - looks like Brookstead Worthing has dropped off Kitgum drop off list too. Have to wait for the restaurant to re-open I guess!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m off to CookiesCream next Friday. I’ve been before, about 10 years ago, but when it was a night club. The owner, and Berlin scenster, decided he’d had enough of discos (he got older) and turned the venue into a vegetarian restaurant. A few years later he earned a Michelin star. Whilst a hand-wringing Guardian reader and moral high-ground occupier, I’m not a vegetarian. I am not averse to plant based plates but I don’t usually go looking for it either...especially not in higher-end establishments. A friend has invited me; I go open minded. I’ve been assured it’s not all natural wines.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I’m off to CookiesCream next Friday. I’ve been before, about 10 years ago, but when it was a night club. The owner, and Berlin scenster, decided he’d had enough of discos (he got older) and turned the venue into a vegetarian restaurant. A few years later he earned a Michelin star. Whilst a hand-wringing Guardian reader and moral high-ground occupier, I’m not a vegetarian. I am not averse to plant based plates but I don’t usually go looking for it either...especially not in higher-end establishments. A friend has invited me; I go open minded. I’ve been assured it’s not all natural wines.

Perhaps take some pocket meats with you, just in case?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

**** me - is there a phrase currently in use that is more wanky than "plant based"?

I ask as a vegetarian of nearly 30 years.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wondering through the city centre this morning for the first time in a while, not much has changed as yet. Carluccios is now or very soon to be a Five Guy , and there is a new restaurant in East Street called Kindling -- anyone know anything about it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps take some pocket meats with you, just in case?

Perhaps take some wine with you too, just in case? And some wine glasses, in case they're overly influenced by St John?

Good shouts. As it’s a vegetarian restaurant I guess they will run a million miles from the bollocks (literally and metaphorically) they serve up at St John but I get your point regarding the glasses.

Maybe I should take some iron supplement tablets as well?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
**** me - is there a phrase currently in use that is more wanky than "plant based"?

I ask as a vegetarian of nearly 30 years.

It’s peak-****. But also part of a broader re-branding/re-positioning of the non-meat diet which as emerged.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It’s peak-****. But also part of a broader re-branding/re-positioning of the non-meat diet which as emerged.

I checked out the restaurant after you posted that - it looks interesting and I'll be keen to hear your review.

However, it's not plant-based as they include eggs and dairy on their menu

I'd even question whether it's vegetarian as one dish includes parmesan, which contains calf rennet, although they'd do about that, so perhaps it's a similar veggie-friendly Italian hard cheese.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I checked out the restaurant after you posted that - it looks interesting and I'll be keen to hear your review.

However, it's not plant-based as they include eggs and dairy on their menu

I'd even question whether it's vegetarian as one dish includes parmesan, which contains calf rennet, although they'd do about that, so perhaps it's a similar veggie-friendly Italian hard cheese.

Maybe meat-free is a better description then. I must admit I lazily used “plant based plates” more for its cadence than its gastronomical accuracy. I shall report back. I don’t naturally gravitate towards meat-free establishments but the last one I went to, Wild Beets which is owned by a friend of [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] blew me away. It was a distance from where I was staying but I was so impressed, and intrigued by the menu, I shoe-horned in a second visit. If this place is half as good I’ll enjoy myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here