Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2020 Thread

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And to round off my Saturday I had a take away from Hins in Hove, my regular Chinese back in the day. I had crispy duck followed by shredded fried chilli beef with special fried rice for main. Hins is functional regulation British Chinese fare, always a solid 7 out of 10. It won’t change your world but equally it doesn’t disappoint. By the time it arrived I’d had 4 pints of pale ale and two home measures of red wine....it was exactly what I needed. Then it was time for bed.

Tough few days for you HT, I hope the various fare you have sampled over the few days have been of some distraction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tough few days for you HT, I hope the various fare you have sampled over the few days have been of some distraction.

Thanks. It was time well spent.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Made my first two trips to bars this week- I think the last time would've been February. Tuesday I had squidlets, secreto iberico (an untranslatable cut of pork taken from near the shoulder), and morcilla (Spanish black pudding), amongst other things. Thursday was swordfish, cazón en adobo(marinated dogfish), tripe, pork ribs, and cheese. Good to have a bit of normality back.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sounds great. Indoor, or out? And if the former, how had they arranged seating, etc?

Outside, though it is now possible to sit inside too. All tables are 2 metres apart, no physical menus but QR codes so you can see it if you need to- I didn't need to as pre-lockdown I frequented both of these places regularly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Made my first two trips to bars this week- I think the last time would've been February. Tuesday I had squidlets, secreto iberico (an untranslatable cut of pork taken from near the shoulder), and morcilla (Spanish black pudding), amongst other things. Thursday was swordfish, cazón en adobo(marinated dogfish), tripe, pork ribs, and cheese. Good to have a bit of normality back.

I am always very envious of your dinners. As an aside, tripe is very popular in Barcelona; did you ever get to that Catalan offal cafe we spoke about?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I am always very envious of your dinners. As an aside, tripe is very popular in Barcelona; did you ever get to that Catalan offal cafe we spoke about?

Nope, haven't been back to Barcelona since. Tripe is a pretty common tapa down here, generally in the Madrid style with tomato, morcilla and chorizo. One of my favourite things after a few beers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nope, haven't been back to Barcelona since. Tripe is a pretty common tapa down here, generally in the Madrid style with tomato, morcilla and chorizo. One of my favourite things after a few beers.

I’ve typically seen it in Barca with tomato, chickpeas and chorizo. It’s very nice.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
Apparently the club will be opening the 1901 lounge in the east stand and serving cardboard chips and cardboard burgers for £29.99.
So no different to the rest of the season........

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Cor the Spanish know how to eat don't they.

Had a Pizza 500 on Friday, which has become my go to pizza. They must be getting really busy as it took a while and was a tad more sloppy than usual but the ingrediants are a cut above anything else in this town so it still rated highly.

Back to Kitgum for Friday's takeaway I think.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Cor the Spanish know how to eat don't they.

Had a Pizza 500 on Friday, which has become my go to pizza. They must be getting really busy as it took a while and was a tad more sloppy than usual but the ingrediants are a cut above anything else in this town so it still rated highly.

Back to Kitgum for Friday's takeaway I think.

I hadn't heard of Pizza 500 before so just looked them up- looks good! I'll have to check it out whenever I'm next able to get back to Brighton. Kitgum also added to the list.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not Restaurant but take-away related, Jasmine Chinese take-away has now re-opened in Shoreham.

Praise the Lord as other local Chinese ones well below par

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went for the CinCin-at-Home service last night. All the set 3 course dinners had sold out within a few hours of going live on Wednesday so I built my own meal consisting of cured meats, focaccia, classic ragu lasagna, tiramisu and Italian cheeses. I bought my own bottles of Pinot Noir and Primitivo to help things along. The food was delivered mid-afternoon in a CinCin hessian bag. The lasagna had to be finished off in the oven but other than eating it all, that was the only energy I expended. By far the best home delivery I have had in a long time, that lasagna was stunning. It was the Frau’s birthday, she was suitably impressed.

Do yourselves a favour and get an order yourselves.

Finished the night with a Thornbridge Jaipur.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went for the CinCin-at-Home service last night. All the set 3 course dinners had sold out within a few hours of going live on Wednesday so I built my own meal consisting of cured meats, focaccia, classic ragu lasagna, tiramisu and Italian cheeses. I bought my own bottles of Pinot Noir and Primitivo to help things along. The food was delivered mid-afternoon in a CinCin hessian bag. The lasagna had to be finished off in the oven but other than eating it all, that was the only energy I expended. By far the best home delivery I have had in a long time, that lasagna was stunning. It was the Frau’s birthday, she was suitably impressed.

Do yourselves a favour and get an order yourselves.

Finished the night with a Thornbridge Jaipur.

Been thinking about this but was a bit concerned there might be a bit to do. Might take the plunge next week as it seems like good value.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Been thinking about this but was a bit concerned there might be a bit to do. Might take the plunge next week as it seems like good value.

As mentioned, I just needed to pop the lasagne in the oven. The 3 course meal, which was also included in the instructions sheet, needed some oven time for the starter and some boiling water for the main. One word of warning, the pre-orders go live at 6pm on Wednesday; all the 3 course meals for Friday and Saturday were sold out very quickly....set your alarm now!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
As mentioned, I just needed to pop the lasagne in the oven. The 3 course meal, which was also included in the instructions sheet, needed some oven time for the starter and some boiling water for the main. One word of warning, the pre-orders go live at 6pm on Wednesday; all the 3 course meals for Friday and Saturday were sold out very quickly....set your alarm now!

A certain local YouTube influencer seemingly posted about them a couple of weeks back, which must be driving the numbers.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Trollburger this morning:

“ Back today! I’ll be open from about 12:30pm

A bit later than usual as I’m having to navigate the endless hordes of unmasked tourist ****wits pouring into Brighton from the station.

Please please please pre order when you can especially during peak times at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx as I can’t have crowds blocking the pavement.

Include full order, name, preferred time and a mobile number to send a payment link to.

Just because the idiotic **** faced tory **** says it’s safe, it doesn’t mean it is.”

This is what I call marketing!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Big love to the two guys who own/run Brewed at 136 Lewes Road. They’ve been providing me with my morning coffee and fuelling my afternoon kaffe und kuchen pause. Seriously good coffee and home baked muffins and stuff as well as smiley faces and cheery conversation.

The peach muffin is my favourite but I can also recommend the double chocolate filled with peanut butter.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
So where is everyone going for their first restaurant visit (in England) after July 4th?

I’m thinking Fourth and Church.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So where is everyone going for their first restaurant visit (in England) after July 4th?

I’m thinking Fourth and Church.

Ancient Mainer booked for a decent roast on the 5th and going to book Fourth and Church for the following week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here