Restaurant 2016

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
It's a lovely restaurant in a lovely setting. Not been for about 5 years but I loved it. I treated the missus to dinner when she graduated and we stayed over in the manor as well. My favourite moment was actually sipping G&Ts in the garden on a lovely balmy evening.

There's a lot to be said for having a lovely meal, a few drinks in the bar, climbing up some stairs to bed to get up 8 hours later and go back down the stairs for a full English. Guardians were delivered to our breakfast table as well. Shame it was close season as a taxi to then take me to the AMEX would have been the perfect day.

Have you booked? If not probably think again. Tis good though. Assume you have done foragers, how about curry - azarro?or Sri lankan - moonstone.. better half is supposed to do good grub.. & makara too..

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Have you booked? If not probably think again. Tis good though. Assume you have done foragers, how about curry - azarro?or Sri lankan - moonstone.. better half is supposed to do good grub.. & makara too..

I'm assuming this is meant for me!

Thanks for these. Moonstone looks interesting.

The Foragers is a weird one, I had a really disappointing meal there but people love it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Foragers is a weird one, I had a really disappointing meal there but people love it.

I think it's a bit over rated and the manager a few years ago was very up his arse.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I loved the Urchin, not sure that I'd call it cheap and cheerful though.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I'm assuming this is meant for me!

Thanks for these. Moonstone looks interesting.

Yes it was. Don't know what happened there! I've always had success at foragers - mostly roasts though

Urchin is def worth a visit (or 2) be prepared for no coffee or desserts though

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hello everyone.

I need a recommendation for a cheap and cheerful meal this saturday. I've exhausted all the avenues I can think of.

Brighton/Hove area, ideally quite close to Hove Station (want a few pints of cider in the Watchmakers Arms first). GO!

(Currently thinking the Urchin)

If you can stretch to Portslade Station then Curry Mahal on Portland Road is very good.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I know a few people rave about the Eastern eye, including my mrs, but I had one of the worst curries I've ever had in there. The service was slow and rubbish, despite us being the only people in there. My mate asked for chicken madras with spinach in it, and asked clearly to avoid confusion, “I don’t want a hot saag, can you just put some extra spinach in the madras.” He got a hot saag. That’s basic and rubbish in my opinion, simple order gone wrong. There’s plenty of better curry houses around. If you’re in that neck of the woods I think the Raj is far better.

I'm a big fan of the Eastern Eye - most of the time. They do have the occasional spectacular off-night, which is a real shame. When it's good it's fantastic, but I've had two or three (out of maybe 20) really bad experiences in there. Odd.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
If you can stretch to Portslade Station then Curry Mahal on Portland Road is very good.

I tried this place for a takeaway last weekend (on recommendation) & I'm sad to say I wasn't impressed. Jalfrezi & dhansak looked & tasted the same, no heat, Mush for sag aloo. Maybe I was unlucky - or this was a takeaway.. I won't be going back BUT It was recommended..

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I mostly eat out London these days - typically once a fortnight or so. Any interest in reviews of restaurants in the smoke, or no?

On the off-chance, I'm eating at Noble Rot tonight (reviewed by Coren a couple of weeks ago) - I'll post brief thoughts tomorrow, unless there's really no interest in London-based restaurants, in which case, as a homage, I'll just shout "Feck off, NSC" and fall asleep.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I mostly eat out London these days - typically once a fortnight or so. Any interest in reviews of restaurants in the smoke, or no?

On the off-chance, I'm eating at Noble Rot tonight (reviewed by Coren a couple of weeks ago) - I'll post brief thoughts tomorrow, unless there's really no interest in London-based restaurants, in which case, as a homage, I'll just shout "Feck off, NSC" and fall asleep.

Definitely interested, especially for customer lunches. I find I gravitate to the same places constantly.

For Steak in London, I really rate MASH. Just overtaken Hawksmoor for me, which has gone done hill a bit in terms of quality.

The bone marrow at MASH is out of this world

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Noble Rot, Lamb's Conduit Street, Holborn: a comprehensive and well-selected wine list, favouring French, ranging from £20/bottle to £4k. A short food menu (5 starters, 5 mains) which was pitched at high end gastro-pub type food. Mains £16-23; starters £6-9. OK quality food, but nothing great. Nice ambience - for a date. Too dark and intimate for a business meeting.

As a wine bar: 8/10; as a restaurant: 5/10.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely interested, especially for customer lunches. I find I gravitate to the same places constantly.

For Steak in London, I really rate MASH. Just overtaken Hawksmoor for me, which has gone done hill a bit in terms of quality.

The bone marrow at MASH is out of this world

Pitt Cue Co does and awesome bone marrow mash as well.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Complete change of plan this weekend and we're going to Planet India and I can't fuggin wait. Might even take photos of the BEST curry house in town.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Complete change of plan this weekend and we're going to Planet India and I can't fuggin wait. Might even take photos of the BEST curry house in town.

Haven't been in ages and absolutely love the place. MASSIVE portions of SKILL curry.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My first visit to The Set tonight, and I'm looking forward to it as it seems to be one of NSC's favourites.

I'm assuming I'm the first veggie from NSC to visit.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
My first visit to The Set tonight, and I'm looking forward to it as it seems to be one of NSC's favourites.

I'm assuming I'm the first veggie from NSC to visit.

As a veggie myself, I'd be interested to hear what you go for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports