Restaurant 2016

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On my way home from St John. Oh my word, this hugely anticipated meal didn't fail even my own hype. Had deep fried sheep brains and tartar sauce, followed by the signature bone marrow and parsley and the pheasant and trotter pie for main. The latter had incredible depth and richness of taste. Two glasses of fizz and two Malbecs and it's now snooze time.

What a genius Fergus is. A bringer of sheer joy.
Did you drink craft beer with it. Or did you have some carefully-selected French wine from a less fashionable region?
Great pic too: hic, belch, etc.

Last time I went there, we arrived at midday. Ate c5 courses. Drank c2 bottles per head. Headed out for some jugs of beer. And then on to La Perla for jugs of margaritas (I like La Pera + margaritas). By the time I got home, I'd discovered that the Tories had got a majority.
That might just be the definition of deflation.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a genius Fergus is. A bringer of sheer joy.
Did you drink craft beer with it. Or did you have some carefully-selected French wine from a less fashionable region?
Great pic too: hic, belch, etc.

Last time I went there, we arrived at midday. Ate c5 courses. Drank c2 bottles per head. Headed out for some jugs of beer. And then on to La Perla for jugs of margaritas (I like La Pera + margaritas). By the time I got home, I'd discovered that the Tories had got a majority.
That might just be the definition of deflation.

Fergus is a true bringer of joy. I had a couple of glasses of champagne whilst waiting for my colleague and perusing the menu and just had two glasses of Malbec with the food. I don't know much about wine so I use opportunities like this to try some recommendations. I did note the bar and the beers they had on tap though; Fergus clearly knows his beer as well as his food.

The visit you describe sounds like a wonderful afternoon. And then......

PS I have looked at my pie photo numerous times today.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not exactly 2016 . . . ten of us went to le maison quartre saison (Rymond Blanc, apols for spelling). Fifteen bottles of Cloudy Bay. The food was probably stunning. No idea how I got home.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
In Soho Sat night.

Anyone tried Bone Daddies or Flesh and Buns?

Any other NSC recommendations?

Tried both - food ok (just), nothing more. Atmosphere very lively and loud - chances of having a cocktail spilled down your back high. They're both the sort of place where style is far more important than substance (sticks and sushi similarly so).

Personally, I'm not a fan of such places and can't really offer similar suitable alternatives. However, soho is a brilliant place for restaurants these days, and I'd be very happy to make recommendations of places where the quality of food is a bit more important to the owners and customers than the places you've mentioned if that'd be of interest.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Tried both - food ok (just), nothing more. Atmosphere very lively and loud - chances of having a cocktail spilled down your back high. They're both the sort of place where style is far more important than substance (sticks and sushi similarly so).

Personally, I'm not a fan of such places and can't really offer similar suitable alternatives. However, soho is a brilliant place for restaurants these days, and I'd be very happy to make recommendations of places where the quality of food is a bit more important to the owners and customers than the places you've mentioned if that'd be of interest.

You're not going to try and flog champagne and hot dogs again are you?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
You're not going to try and flog champagne and hot dogs again are you?

Ha! Noooo - if it's ramen he's after it's a ramen recommendation (or even better a Chinese version that's cheap as chips but utterly brilliant) he'd get. But, some folk really like style, and both of my recommendations would fail that test, the Chinese spectacularly so.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Office do at Stanmer House yesterday. It was as to be epxected, decent enough food but VERY competitive on the booze. 16odd quid for a large red and a large Baileys says it all really.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ha! Noooo - if it's ramen he's after it's a ramen recommendation (or even better a Chinese version that's cheap as chips but utterly brilliant) he'd get. But, some folk really like style, and both of my recommendations would fail that test, the Chinese spectacularly so.

I've been to that ramen place on Greek(?) Street -- the one with the seemingly permanent queue outside -- on several occasions. Brilliant, quick, tasty, reasonable food. I suspect it's the one you're referring to but, if it's not, do tell, as you must with the cheap-as-chips Chinese ...
... On cheap-as-chips Chinese, or Szechuan to be more precise, New Era on Queens Street, Brighton (and ex-Lucky Star at the bottom of Trafalgar St) is one I know very well, which is an endorsement.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I've been to that ramen place on Greek(?) Street -- the one with the seemingly permanent queue outside -- on several occasions. Brilliant, quick, tasty, reasonable food. I suspect it's the one you're referring to but, if it's not, do tell, as you must with the cheap-as-chips Chinese ...
... On cheap-as-chips Chinese, or Szechuan to be more precise, New Era on Queens Street, Brighton (and ex-Lucky Star at the bottom of Trafalgar St) is one I know very well, which is an endorsement.

Around Soho, I use Sasuke for miso ramen and Tonkotsu for, err, tonkotsu ramen. The chinese noodle place in Soho is Lanzhou, right beside Leicester Square station. It's one of (the?) only places in Soho that still hand pulls its noodles. It has mixed reviews, but that's because there are reviewers who insist on eating things off the extensive menu that aren't noodles/noodle soup. Such dishes are truly shite, but the noodles are brilliant. Turn to the back of the menu and pick from there - ignore all other offerings except beer.

Edit: thanks for the tip re New Era... I'll give it a whirl.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Around Soho, I use Sasuke for miso ramen and Tonkotsu for, err, tonkotsu ramen. The chinese noodle place in Soho is Lanzhou, right beside Leicester Square station. It's one of (the?) only places in Soho that still hand pulls its noodles. It has mixed reviews, but that's because there are reviewers who insist on eating things off the extensive menu that aren't noodles/noodle soup. Such dishes are truly shite, but the noodles are brilliant. Turn to the back of the menu and pick from there - ignore all other offerings except beer.

Edit: thanks for the tip re New Era... I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks for that. I'll too try to give them a whirl. I think the noodle/ramen place I've been to is Tonkotsu, so I've now got Sasuke and Lanzhou to try and, hopefully, I might work out the difference between miso and tonkotsu.
RE New Era: ask for the Chinese menu

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex

Thanks!

Both mentioned where fully booked as it happens anyway.

So plumbed for Condesa. Spanish/Mexican tapas joint.

Jul 7, 2003
On my way home from St John. Oh my word, this hugely anticipated meal didn't fail even my own hype. Had deep fried sheep brains and tartar sauce, followed by the signature bone marrow and parsley and the pheasant and trotter pie for main. The latter had incredible depth and richness of taste. Two glasses of fizz and two Malbecs and it's now snooze time.

Did you see the review of Temper in the Observer last week - the new Neil Rankin restaurant? Sounds right up your street - big lumps of meat and fire!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We had our Xmas team lunch at Mint Leaf in London. They have 2 restaurants, 1 near St Paul's , 1 in Haymarket. We went to the city one.

It was pretty messy, but the menu was decent with a good mix of dishes. I had a tandoori salmon starter which was nice and perfectly cooked, but did come out 5mins after everyone else's despite being tail end of service.

For main I had the Rhajistani Lamb, which was very nice.

Sides were nice particularly the Okra dish.

All in all pretty good, but if I had been paying I'd be disappointed. £500 inc service for 8. All drinking beer only, probably 4 bottles each.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did you see the review of Temper in the Observer last week - the new Neil Rankin restaurant? Sounds right up your street - big lumps of meat and fire!

I did. And I will.....after Burger Bros though!

There was a piece on Neil Rankin and a separate piece on Temper in the December EasyJet in-flight mag.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tonight's feed: steak tartar starter and beef cheek main with a wide range of craft. I love Xmas

Attachments

• IMG_5470.JPG
    IMG_5470.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_5471.JPG
    IMG_5471.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_5473.JPG
    IMG_5473.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 299

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports