Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2016

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
As for another recommendation, you appear to be keen on fish so The Urchin might be a good shout. Never been there ( plan to do so soon ) but it has great reviews.

You won't find any fish served at The Urchin, it's a all shellfish focused - crustaceans, molluscs, etc..,
Ate there 3 weeks ago when I was back in Hove. Had langoustines followed by a paella. Was very good, better than my initial visit the previous year.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The wait for the Trolls Pantry doner kebabs on Friday was an hour and a half. He clearly hadn't expected so many people to turn up bang on 5:30 which led to an hour and a half wait. He was doing everything fresh and the actual food was great. It was a pay as you feel event so all the wankers at the front of the queue who caused the delays with sneaky pushing in were paying 3 quid for what was some PROPER food. ********s, but then he could quite easily have charged a fiver so the Troll is to blame here.

I've settled on the Gingerman tasting menu for the anniversary meal, along with wine flight. It's to my discredit that I've never been there so hoping to big things.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The wait for the Trolls Pantry doner kebabs on Friday was an hour and a half. He clearly hadn't expected so many people to turn up bang on 5:30 which led to an hour and a half wait. He was doing everything fresh and the actual food was great. It was a pay as you feel event so all the wankers at the front of the queue who caused the delays with sneaky pushing in were paying 3 quid for what was some PROPER food. ********s, but then he could quite easily have charged a fiver so the Troll is to blame here.

I admire him, and he is certainly to be lauded for doing things 'his way', but The Troll doesn't half make some odd decisions sometimes. Was the kebab as good as it looked?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I admire him, and he is certainly to be lauded for doing things 'his way', but The Troll doesn't half make some odd decisions sometimes. Was the kebab as good as it looked?

Yeah, it was ****ing excellent.

What did not help was him having to knead and cook each bread indivually, which built in about 2 minutes per kebab. Then he also had to shave the meat himself for each kebab. A tad annoying considering the lack of a queue system and the willingness of some people to openly act like proper wankers.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

What did not help was him having to knead and cook each bread indivually, which built in about 2 minutes per kebab. Then he also had to shave the meat himself for each kebab. A tad annoying considering the lack of a queue system and the willingness of some people to openly act like proper wankers.

There really is something to be said for his refusal to compromise in any way on stuff like quality of ingredients or doing things 'the right way' (and god knows he normally charges enough for the privilege). I just hope that he can find some sort of business model that doesn't rely on pricing a portion of chips at over £8 (that actually happened) and doesn't result in him getting totally burnt out or shafted by twats.

Haven't been to the new popup place yet though.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There really is something to be said for his refusal to compromise in any way on stuff like quality of ingredients or doing things 'the right way' (and god knows he normally charges enough for the privilege). I just hope that he can find some sort of business model that doesn't rely on pricing a portion of chips at over £8 (that actually happened) and doesn't result in him getting totally burnt out or shafted by twats.

Haven't been to the new popup place yet though.

What I hope he took away from it is that there is an appetite for decent kebabs in this town. I'd have paid 7 quid for mine, when you consider the shit you get from the likes of AA Charcoal grill (in comparison that is, I'll still eat a dirty doner from there if necessary) for about 5 quid.

Jul 7, 2003

Couldn't get over myself so glad the food was good - not that I had any doubts. Beef marinated in saison looked a great idea. I've been following him since the wood store days and got to know him reasonably well. He is very true to his values and is a perfectionist so he wants control over everything. This being the first kebab, I'm sure he would have been wanting to cook the bread and carve the meat himself to make sure it was perfect for everyone. I guess that when he bails out of the Hobgoblin soon, he will have more of his trusted sidekicks trained to speed this up.

Jul 7, 2003

He has always looked for quality - look at how much he has raised the bar when it comes to the quality of burgers in Brighton. The boys at Burger Brothers took their lead from him as did several others.

If he can do the same for kebabs then it will be a great thing for the customers.

As for the chips, he is the first to admit that there were some issues there and he would prefer not to do them at all but in the pub environment people want more than just a burger. Burger Brothers have stuck to the principle of no chips and it has done them no harm but then they have their own premises which the Troll doesn't so have more flexibility.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
He has always looked for quality - look at how much he has raised the bar when it comes to the quality of burgers in Brighton. The boys at Burger Brothers took their lead from him as did several others.

If he can do the same for kebabs then it will be a great thing for the customers.

As for the chips, he is the first to admit that there were some issues there and he would prefer not to do them at all but in the pub environment people want more than just a burger. Burger Brothers have stuck to the principle of no chips and it has done them no harm but then they have their own premises which the Troll doesn't so have more flexibility.
Agree entirely

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Couldn't get over myself so glad the food was good - not that I had any doubts. Beef marinated in saison looked a great idea. I've been following him since the wood store days and got to know him reasonably well. He is very true to his values and is a perfectionist so he wants control over everything. This being the first kebab, I'm sure he would have been wanting to cook the bread and carve the meat himself to make sure it was perfect for everyone. I guess that when he bails out of the Hobgoblin soon, he will have more of his trusted sidekicks trained to speed this up.

I hope I am reading/interpreting this correctly....beef marinated in the Belgian ale?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Jul 7, 2003
Blimey. I need to try this. When and where can I get one?

Are you over for the Brentford game? If so, I'll drop him a line and see if he has any pop-ups planned for that weekend. He has the Polygon and also burgers at Marwoods café some Saturdays.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are you over for the Brentford game? If so, I'll drop him a line and see if he has any pop-ups planned for that weekend. He has the Polygon and also burgers at Marwoods café some Saturdays.

I'm afraid not. I'm low key until first week of October due to marathon training but let's sort something out after that. Maybe combine it with another Worthing ale crawl?

Foodie Eshe

Apr 28, 2016
Hassocks
just discovered Azaro Dhaba in Church Road yesterday. What a revelation, although apparently been open a couple of years. Great lunch thali and lovely people, very friendly.

Agree about Azaro it is good and I love the fact that they have a female chef. Service is a little slow at times, but both the owners are very passionate about what they do and looking after their customers. Pics and full write up on my blog if you want to know anymore: http://foodieeshe.com/azaro-of-hove-review/

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Kikuchi - Hanway St, just off the Southern end of Tottingham Court Rd.

A traditional Japanese restaurant - none of this foo foo fusion crap. A sushi bar seating 6 and 7 small tables, mostly 2s; and two small private dining rooms in the basement.

We had:

Sashimi platter - chu-toro, yellow fin, razor clam, tuna tartare, sea bass.
An extra portion of the yellow fin sashimi
Uni nigiri
Chicken yakitori
Chicken meatballs - two portions
Steamed clams
Japanese chillies
Grilled yellow fin shoulder
Plain rice
Yuko sorbet

Kirin Ichiban x2
A bottle of Yamaguchi junmai daiginjo
Yuko wine 4 glasses over ice

The best sashimi and chicken balls I've had in the UK, and ranks in the top three of all time. The yellow fin was butter soft and utterly brilliant. The chicken balls are homemade, and you could tell - perfectly flavoured. Three different types of soy sauce chosen by the staff to complement the different dishes.

This was serious ingredient choice and excellent cooking.

£300 including 12.5% "optional" service charge (alcohol was 50% of the bill - mostly the sake, of course). Would just about be possible to get out for £40 pp, if you are very careful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here