Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This sounds excellent. It must be brilliant being the landlord/manager of this place and getting all this decent beer and food in; what fun.

Yes! I was sceptical when it opened that it could work, but it certainly has. Even Fosters drinkers I know haven't minded tucking in to a Brooklyn Lager or similar. I think there are so many horrible Wetherspoons-esque pubs that people don't mind paying that bit extra for nice beer & good clientele.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
HTML:
Tried the Crown and Anchor in Shoreham at the w/e and thought it was very good. Not fine dining but pretty good at what it does. Service was terrific - one of our mains was 5 mins late coming out, we'd not noticed, but without us saying anything she gave us a free pint, that's very pro-active.

Good views over the river, both inside and out on the terrace.

We have a few good eateries in Shoreham now.

I've got a lot of time for the Crown and Anchor. The food is pretty good considering how cheap it is and the portions are nice and large.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Never thought so, but I must be a bit hip and trendy, as I love Chilli Pickle, but would welcome indications of where you can get a better curry than from there.

Many places to be honest - I find the Chilli Pickle overly expensive and up it's own arse. If I want a posh curry then maybe Memories of India, if I want a traditional 'British' curry then Curry Mahal on Portland Road.

The people I've seen in the Chilli Pickle appear to be the same people that think "We love falafel" in North Laine is fantastic despite falafel being tasteless gunk.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Many places to be honest - I find the Chilli Pickle overly expensive and up it's own arse. If I want a posh curry then maybe Memories of India, if I want a traditional 'British' curry then Curry Mahal on Protland Road.

The people I've seen in the Chilli Pickle appear to be the same people that think "We love falafel" in North Laine is fantastic despite falafel being tasteless gunk.

I am a dedicated carnivore, but used to regularly enjoy these falafel, when I worked near Tottenham Court Road in that London.
http://www.hoxtonbeach.com/index.php

If falafel is tasteless, so is chicken breast

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been to Chili Pickle and thought it was pretty good for what it is. I have only been to a couple of a fancy ones and these were in London so my knowledge is not vast for comparison. Whilst enjoyable I much prefer British Indians to the up-market or more authentic restaurants....and I have dedicated the past 25 odd years to these.

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
Many places to be honest - I find the Chilli Pickle overly expensive and up it's own arse. If I want a posh curry then maybe Memories of India, if I want a traditional 'British' curry then Curry Mahal on Portland Road.

I thought I was the only one who disliked the Chilli Pickle! Went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was really looking forward to it after all the positive reviews so that probably added to the sense of disappointment. From the food, to the waiting staff to the décor I couldn't see that the fuss was about at all. One of our party who never leaves anything on his plate and isn't adverse to helping others finish off their food left most of his main course! Maybe we got them on a bad night. Much prefer Indian Summer in terms of a 'posh' curry or Planet India for something a little more down to earth.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bruno's burgers at the Windmill up are my favourite right now. Meat liquor is okay but not all it's cracked up to be. The Troll is good but I boycotted him a couple of years back as his incessant self promotion and requests for feedback were tiresome. Good burgers though. Whether any of this lot will survive the inevitable fading of interest of gourmet burgers remains to be seen.

Best place for timeless deli fare? Hells Kitchen in the North Laine. You get a LOT for your money.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I thought I was the only one who disliked the Chilli Pickle! Went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was really looking forward to it after all the positive reviews so that probably added to the sense of disappointment. From the food, to the waiting staff to the décor I couldn't see that the fuss was about at all. One of our party who never leaves anything on his plate and isn't adverse to helping others finish off their food left most of his main course! Maybe we got them on a bad night. Much prefer Indian Summer in terms of a 'posh' curry or Planet India for something a little more down to earth.

What was the reason your friend left his food? Whilst I appreciate we all have different tastes surely Chilli Pickle is not so bad people do not eat it??

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thai food - we recently went not for the first time to Sawadee, St.James St (opposite some pub which I think is called The Bulldog Tavern?). The Sawadee's food is beautiful, the staff friendly and efficient. It isn't cheap, the cost for 2 of us having a shared set menu, several drinks and one dessert, with a mandatory 10% service charge, totalling over £70. The service was good up to us having all our food, but then the stressed out owners and staff seemed to forget about us and it was near impossible to get their attention. We would go back again, as the food's delicious. 8/10

Curry Mahal, Portland Road, Hove - an old favourite on NSC. Much cheaper than the Sawadee, but serving orthodox Indian (the English version) food. Lovely grub, friendly efficient staff, comfortable surroundings, easy parking and great value. 9/10

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
What was the reason your friend left his food? Whilst I appreciate we all have different tastes surely Chilli Pickle is not so bad people do not eat it??

He said he just didn't like it. I think only 2 out of 6 of us finished our meals which maybe suggests we got them on a bad night, especially as they managed to forget one of the main courses so that ended up arriving at the table just as everyone else was getting to the end of theirs?! I must admit I didn't finish mine but that was because it was too spicy for me - although I like different spices and tastes I am not great if it is too 'hot' so have to go for the milder dishes as a rule and that was a source of annoyance as most of the dishes were 2 or 3 chilli strength and only one dish that day was 'mild' and most on our table agreed even that wasn't particularly mild. The staff seemed a bit 'tough luck you lightweight' about it, which didn't really leave me with a sense of wanting to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It was a shame but as this thread demonstrates there are plenty of other options out there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I live very near Hampton Court Palace but only went in for first time recently. There is a very disappointing restaurant. They could have made something very special but instead, out if the scant choice on offer I went for the traditional steak and ale pie with mushy peas and gravy. Served to me on a canteen style plastic tray by some dis interested Saturday girl. On cutting into the pie I found id been given leek, chicken and mushroom. I would normally stick with it but I'd splashed out best part of 40 quid just getting in and buying an ice cream and bits and bobs one treats yourself to on such occasions.

I took it back and got my replacement but was glared at when I asked for more gravy to moisten the new pie.

Thought they really missed a trick. Could have added much mire atmosphere with very little effort, I mean it's in a Palace for god 's sakes!

If you go, (and it is a stunning place, they had an amazing series if live orchestral music and opera running all day in the Great Hall and Chapel Royal) take a sandwich and dine in the gardens or pop across the road to The Mute Swan on the riverside or to Bridge Road to 5 At The Bridge where you will get proper food and lovely pots of tea. Unfortunately the really fit waitress left a few weeks back but there is one left there with a smashing pair of wobblers on her which more than make up for her slightly fat arse.

I hope this has helped.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've got a lot of time for the Crown and Anchor. The food is pretty good considering how cheap it is and the portions are nice and large.

I was sceptical due to my memory of the clientelle over the years putting je off, but was pleasantly surprised. Will definitely go back.

Jul 7, 2003
This sounds excellent. It must be brilliant being the landlord/manager of this place and getting all this decent beer and food in; what fun.

Next time your back in blighty mate, head over my way and we'll enjoy a pint or two in the Wandering Goose

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to Interwok in Worthing, obviously not having a great expectation given fixed price but it was dreadful.

Thinking of checking out Giraffe, is it any good ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went to Interwok in Worthing, obviously not having a great expectation given fixed price but it was dreadful.

Thinking of checking out Giraffe, is it any good ?

The China Palace in Worthing does decent dim sum, agreed Interwok is poor. Giraffe is reasonable for a chain restaurant, nothing spectacular, but better than most.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If you're in Birmingham I'd heartily recommend Mr Egg, can't beat it for all things eggs.

Also if you're ever down in this part of the woods the Pilot Boat takes sime beating for top notch pub grub from an award winning chef.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here