Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went to Buonne Appertito in Burgess Hill with wife on Thursday evening had a very good meal and will certainly go again. The best steak I have had recently including Sussex Steak House in B Hill. One of the plus points was veg of the day rather than standard chips, mushrooms onion rings and tomatoes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Went to Buonne Appertito in Burgess Hill with wife on Thursday evening had a very good meal and will certainly go again. The best steak I have had recently including Sussex Steak House in B Hill. One of the plus points was veg of the day rather than standard chips, mushrooms onion rings and tomatoes.

The same Italian owner has for a few years also run Buon Appetito in Pameira Square, Hove, tucked away in the far SW corner. Good Italian food, great service, a friendly (but not in your face) owner and reasonable prices.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Reading their website shows that they started in B H then opened a place in Hove interestingly, I I have only just seen it, but on their website they offer a huge print off voucher discount. Not sure if it is only for Hove branch.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The same Italian owner has for a few years also run Buon Appetito in Pameira Square, Hove, tucked away in the far SW corner. Good Italian food, great service, a friendly (but not in your face) owner and reasonable prices.

Hmmm ..... I went there last year on a Groupon voucher and they served some of the worst food I've ever eaten in a restaurant in B&H.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Went out on Friday night in Brighton with Mrs Rolls and we decided a quick cheap bite to eat was in order. It seemed like a nice evening to sit outside, so we headed down to the Hobgoblin. Sadly the Troll did not agree and there was no sign of any food.

Plan B well we decided to give Meat Liquor a try, okay it was going to cost a little more, but it has a good reputation, so it must have something going for it ?

To put it simply the most enjoyable part of the meal, was the perverse pleasure I got from paying 30 quid for burger chips and a diet coke twice over and that somehow thick cockney tossers thought this was something worth queuing up for.

The vibe is best described as follows;

If Mcdonalds were to open a franchise inside a laserquest, this is pretty much what I would expect it to look like. Sadly as this is Brighton SMASH EDO have been through and nicked all the laser guns and the McDonalds arch.

Food served ironically on a plastic tray, one hippy something burger and a philly steak sandwich, along with a decent size bowl of fries and some deep fried pickles. Hippies clearly don't have much of an appetite, judging by the size of the burger. Otherwise it was not very memorable. The steak sandwich was overflowing with green pepper, which of course is considerably cheaper than beef. I did like the pickles though, but it is more than a little underwhelming if the peak of the culinary experience is deep fried gherkin.

Beer and wine list, didn't inspire and the special was some US special lager.

It must be about 15 years since I had a meal this pretentious, overpriced and overhyped. That was in a brew restaurant called Mash just off Oxford Circus, it lasted as long as it took the trendy sheep to move onto the next big thing. Oblivion can't come quick enough for this bag of excrement.

2/10 1 for the pickles and 1 because I do enjoy having a good rant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went out on Friday night in Brighton with Mrs Rolls and we decided a quick cheap bite to eat was in order. It seemed like a nice evening to sit outside, so we headed down to the Hobgoblin. Sadly the Troll did not agree and there was no sign of any food.

Plan B well we decided to give Meat Liquor a try, okay it was going to cost a little more, but it has a good reputation, so it must have something going for it ?

To put it simply the most enjoyable part of the meal, was the perverse pleasure I got from paying 30 quid for burger chips and a diet coke twice over and that somehow thick cockney tossers thought this was something worth queuing up for.

The vibe is best described as follows;

If Mcdonalds were to open a franchise inside a laserquest, this is pretty much what I would expect it to look like. Sadly as this is Brighton SMASH EDO have been through and nicked all the laser guns and the McDonalds arch.

Food served ironically on a plastic tray, one hippy something burger and a philly steak sandwich, along with a decent size bowl of fries and some deep fried pickles. Hippies clearly don't have much of an appetite, judging by the size of the burger. Otherwise it was not very memorable. The steak sandwich was overflowing with green pepper, which of course is considerably cheaper than beef. I did like the pickles though, but it is more than a little underwhelming if the peak of the culinary experience is deep fried gherkin.

Beer and wine list, didn't inspire and the special was some US special lager.

It must be about 15 years since I had a meal this pretentious, overpriced and overhyped. That was in a brew restaurant called Mash just off Oxford Circus, it lasted as long as it took the trendy sheep to move onto the next big thing. Oblivion can't come quick enough for this bag of excrement.

2/10 1 for the pickles and 1 because I do enjoy having a good rant.

I went a few months back and thought it was pretty good.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I went a few months back and thought it was pretty good.

I've heard good and bad about this place. Is it like the Chilli Pickle in that it's a little bit hip and trendy to like it and that you would get a better curry ( in this case burger ) elsewhere ?

EDIT - I'm asking you as we tend to share the same taste in food !

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what did I miss ?

Feel free to comment that I am clearly a miserable old fart, who just does not get the vibe.

Like you I went to Hobglobin to find no Trolls and popped into Meat Liquor as a back up. I was in and out quickly but I thought the burger was pretty decent, good quality, and the beer fine. It's a venue which is clearly aimed a younger person than me and maybe it would grate had I spent longer in there but food wise I was pleasantly surprised. Trolls in my number 1 though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've heard good and bad about this place. Is it like the Chilli Pickle in that it's a little bit hip and trendy to like it and that you would get a better curry ( in this case burger ) elsewhere ?

For me Trolls is number 1 so yes it a place which is hip and trendy and where I personally can get better elsewhere. That's not to say it's bad though. The food was actually good and if I was 25 again and needing a buzzy lively venue I'd probably eat there a lot more.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
was planning on going to trolls at hobgoblin is it shut then???

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
He and his minions are there most days - https://www.facebook.com/TheTrollsPantry - although he had a problem recently with the shack which meant he had to shut for an evening. They sometimes cook from the kitchen and not the shack in the garden so if nobody is in the shack, check inside the pub. He is also at Street Diner most Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays.

The troll is still just about the best burger in Brighton although Burger Brothers on North Road run him very close.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
was looking at going late afternoon 5ish i presume its open all day??

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
was looking at going late afternoon 5ish i presume its open all day??

Depends on the day. According to his website opening hours are as follows:

Open at The Hobgoblin Pub

Monday-Thursday 12-3pm & 6-9pm

Friday & Saturday 12-9pm.

Sunday 12-6pm

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The Wandering Goose have been inviting local street stalls and similar to host a day in their kitchen. Today was Salsa Viva, a local pop up street stall in Worthing.

Had an excellent Pork Burrito from them. Absolutely juicy succulent pork, well spiced, and really identifiable flavours in there, rather than the usual generic slop from most high street places. Served with some tortillas and a very fresh tasting homemade coleslaw, which again was a step above what most people would expect as coleslaw.

All washed down with a lovely Hibernation white IPA from the Bear Hug brewery, in the sun.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Never thought so, but I must be a bit hip and trendy, as I love Chilli Pickle, but would welcome indications of where you can get a better curry than from there.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
HTML:
Tried the Crown and Anchor in Shoreham at the w/e and thought it was very good. Not fine dining but pretty good at what it does. Service was terrific - one of our mains was 5 mins late coming out, we'd not noticed, but without us saying anything she gave us a free pint, that's very pro-active.

Good views over the river, both inside and out on the terrace.

We have a few good eateries in Shoreham now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Wandering Goose have been inviting local street stalls and similar to host a day in their kitchen. Today was Salsa Viva, a local pop up street stall in Worthing.

Had an excellent Pork Burrito from them. Absolutely juicy succulent pork, well spiced, and really identifiable flavours in there, rather than the usual generic slop from most high street places. Served with some tortillas and a very fresh tasting homemade coleslaw, which again was a step above what most people would expect as coleslaw.

All washed down with a lovely Hibernation white IPA from the Bear Hug brewery, in the sun.

This sounds excellent. It must be brilliant being the landlord/manager of this place and getting all this decent beer and food in; what fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here