Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is a low % GP perhaps times have changed but when I ran my stocktaking company (late 80s early 90s) the VAT Man expected 60%+ for food and 48 - 50 for liqour.

I would expect you to have a far greater knowledge and idea of trade prices from suppliers and Cash & Carry than the average man who will compare Aldi, Tesco Sainsburys etc with actual butchers

Top end sucking up BG.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
JBs American Diner:

Not bad and pretty good burgers but why serve a burger on a paper napkin in a plastic type bowl ? The napkin slowly dissolved so you nearly ate it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On Bank Holiday Monday took the a kids and wife to the Ginger Fox out in Albourne (old Shaves Thatch). We've been going every summer for a few years until last year. We stopped because on a day that wasn't even that busy they took nearly an hour to serve me a cold lamb burger. Decided to try again because it ha d aleays been good up to then and it was nice weather.

The weather had brought the crows out and my heart sank but I needn't have worried. They have massively upped their game again. Had three courses, each delivered in good time. Lovely pint of organic cider and glass of red with the main. There was a small but perfectly formed foie gras mousse with a crisp disc on top. My wife had the lamb dish which was amazing and each of us wanted to swap. The main was even better, perfectly cooked thin cut duck breast with the fat nicely rendered served with a char Sui bun, vegetables and a sauce I wanted to slurp out of the bowl.

Not cheap but very, very good. Attentive service too. :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
A visit to The Foragers in Hove last night. Always enjoyed the food there and last night was no exception.

Out of the two excellent starters we had it was difficult to pick the best - Cauliflower Cheese with pickled apple and Ham Hock Terrine with a crispy egg.

Mains were great too - Rib Eye Steak ( cooked exactly to what was requested ) with chunky chips and greens and Sea Bass with Puy Lentils.

All this including a few drinks for £65.

Great little pub, serving great food and with a great buzzing atmosphere - 9/10

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Woodies, not bad have to say service seems to have improved sice last time.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Any recommendations for somewhere nice to take the missus for her birthday on Monday? Brighton or Hove area? 64 Degrees or Coal Shed are my 2 thinkings, so that kind of ilk, but happy to listen to any suggestions

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm going to have to say nice things about SEASONS on Boundary Road. It has everything the food snob in me should hate but I love it. Bought in deserts in novelty cases? Check. Bog standard British Italian menu? Check. Chav kids running round on Saturday lunchtimes while their mums have a coffee between them? Check.

Yet it has excellent service. They treat our children with genuine love even if the little one has screamed her way through the meal and is now hanging a spoon off her nose. They do special off menu requests. They do a nice bottle of wine for under £20 and they always have it in. If, like us, you have to go for lunch or early evening there is always a parade of characters in and out that makes it feel like an independent movie shot in New York. Two courses for two adults and two kids, plus wine, was £60 the last time we went. Their spaghetti vongole is EXCELLENT, swimming in garlic butter with the clams cooked perfectly. The Boss pizza is a thing of beauty.

It's essentially an Italian greasy spoon but that's no bad thing at all.

Just seen this, but once again you and I appear to be of exactly the same mind.

We go about once every six weeks or so as it's our 'local' place to go for a cheap meal out. It reminds me of what Al Duomo used to be like back in the 80's and 90's before it turned into a BAR.

I love the place.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Any recommendations for somewhere nice to take the missus for her birthday on Monday? Brighton or Hove area? 64 Degrees or Coal Shed are my 2 thinkings, so that kind of ilk, but happy to listen to any suggestions

I'd def recommend 64 degrees.

It's small and boutiquey but will feel special for a birthday thing mainly because it's so different to everywhere else in Bton. Plus the food is awesome. Coal Shed is also very good - but less 'special' (and a shade worse value?)

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Just seen this, but once again you and I appear to be of exactly the same mind.

We go about once every six weeks or so as it's our 'local' place to go for a cheap meal out. It reminds me of what Al Duomo used to be like back in the 80's and 90's before it turned into a BAR.

I love the place.

The planners told Al Duomo a decade+ ago that if they were to approve their plans to update they would have to remove their wonderful wood fired oven. Shamefully went ahead and it is no more.
Not been through its doors since

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Franky and Bennys as a welcome home for Junior and Wedding Anniversary combined.

For what you get it is reasonably priced in my view.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I think the Coal Shed is BYO on Monday's which would significantly reduce the cost.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
the lighthouse bar and cafe in warwick street worthing ,plenty of seating outside,very child friendly,simple bistro food,lovely homemade proper cakes.

any of you know treeman (alan),this is his place,give it a go big brighton fan

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I went to 64 Degrees in the end.

Right up my street, about time Brighton had a restaurant like this. If you can get over the slightly cramped nature, and get a counter seat you are in for a treat.

Menu seems to change daily so all in season produce I imagine. Highlight for me was the Egg, Chicken wings & short rib dishes.

We spent £85 between 2 of us, had 8 dishes, 1 dessert and a couple of alcoholic drinks. I would definitely go back. If you are into that kind of concept would be highly recommended

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Went to Smokeys last weekend. Fantastic BBQ food, portions are enormous. Mrs and I had sharing platter for two, had brisket, rack of ribs, chicken and pulled pork. All fantastic, however food could have fed 4, ended not finishing it all.

Came to £60 for the both of us including a few beers/ glasses of wine.

Not a romantic setting, and (I think) limiting for vegetarians. Would be great for a party of people.

8/10

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Two trips to London restaurants recently - Berners Tavern (Jason Atherton) was very good. Wine was over priced but excellent selection of food well prepared, good service and nice building.

Also had lunch in the Capital Hotel Restaurant (Nathan Outlaw). Very god value indeed. The menu is mostly fish as that is his speciality, but was excellent and I think just over £20 a head before drinks (which did make it cost a lot more).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
La Galleria, very good but service a bit slack.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Difficult to go elsewhere than Cote however at short notice tried The Courtyard in New Road,very good steak selection, not a large menu but well cooked and presented with decent portions,will certainally go again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here