Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2014

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well that's exactly what they're intending to do, but I guess you know better.

So I'm going to get a 2 1/2 Kg free range Chicken for that then ? I can see why it's so expensive, you won't get too many of them on the rotisserie without stripping the gears.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not sure whether you're drunk or actually this stupid.
Either way you're embarrassing yourself with your every response.
Of course you won't buy a good local free range chicken for £2.60/kg. it'll be more like £5/kg.
I guess you've been on the Aldi website again, based your figures on their battery produced rubbish and then pulled a figure out of the air.
I really am bored now as it's clear you're clueless.
You do seem the sort of person who likes the last word however, so feel free to write it below.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Just popped on to this thread by mistake. Can't believe I've discovered people arguing about the price of chicken. Only on NSC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you want to stay the Groupon deal is worth it. £169 for a room but the upgrade for £30 was very worthwhile. That includes dinner and breakfast.

Duly noted Sir. My visits to the UK turn in to culinary tours these days so I will give this some thought.

I do like a stay over as well. What I liked about Oakendon was that I bowled up for pre-meal drinks, had a lovely and very long meal, a few local ales in that snug bar, trotted off to my room to wake up 8 hours later and read The Guardian over a full english. I learnt some years ago always get the wife a treat you also want; everyone is happy then.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Donatello post match with Mrs Hut.

Pretty average and annexed with the screaming babies but she likes it there.......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm not sure whether you're drunk or actually this stupid.
Either way you're embarrassing yourself with your every response.
Of course you won't buy a good local free range chicken for £2.60/kg. it'll be more like £5/kg.
I guess you've been on the Aldi website again, based your figures on their battery produced rubbish and then pulled a figure out of the air.
I really am bored now as it's clear you're clueless.
You do seem the sort of person who likes the last word however, so feel free to write it below.

Well in that case I will have to defer to your superior knowledge of the poultry trade, if ever I find myself in a Chicken pricing debate on here I'll send you a PM asking for guidance. Nice to know that your first actions at 6 in the morning is of estimating the price/KG of a free range Chicken. Now that is embarrassing and boring .

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Took the family to Kambis Friday night. Alright, but i think the Sahara is the best for Lebanese food in Brighton.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
64 Degrees is disliked by certain people whose opinion on food I respect. One of whom reckons the food just isn't up to much, which I profoundly disagree with. Others say it's somewhat pretentious, and as your post indicates, it is a bit stark and lacking in comfort.
Female plebeian Machiavelli -- that's the Mrs -- and I very much enjoyed sitting at the bar, and watching what the chefs were up to, and conversing with them when appropriate. It brings a bit of theatre or, probably better, an appreciation of levels of technique, preparation, etc to the experience. So if you're interested in such things, go for it, but if you want intimacy try elsewhere. Strangely enough, none of the three places to eat out in Brighton I like best -- Chilli Pickle, The Cuthbert and 64 Degrees -- are terribly comfortable. I don't know The Gingerman group that well, so they might be best on that front, or Hotel du Vin.

Not any more. Another pub bites the dust - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11155354.Pub_set_to_close/?ref=mmpg

[Landlords of a pub will be calling time for the last time this weekend after the freehold for the property was sold. Robin Koehorst and Susanna Searle will finish trading at The Cuthbert, in Freshfield Road, in Brighton, at 6pm on Easter Sunday.
The pair reopened the pub almost two years ago, and will have drink specials and a limited menu available for the remaining days
/QUOTE]

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Well in that case I will have to defer to your superior knowledge of the poultry trade, if ever I find myself in a Chicken pricing debate on here I'll send you a PM asking for guidance. Nice to know that your first actions at 6 in the morning is of estimating the price/KG of a free range Chicken. Now that is embarrassing and boring .

No problem, I'll happily save you from embarrassment in future if required. As many on here know it's what I do for a living which is why I know how ridiculous your comments are.
I'm not estimating the price of chicken, I know it and price clients' menus accordingly.
Many of the country's top chefs use my company, but you seem to want to have a pop. Now then, how bothered do you think I am that the mighty vegster worries about what I do and that I'm working at 6am ? Mmmmmmm. Not at all. You're a clueless idiot who wants to have his say on something you know absolutely nothing about. Go and bore someone else with your Aldi prices.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No problem, I'll happily save you from embarrassment in future if required. As many on here know it's what I do for a living which is why I know how ridiculous your comments are.
I'm not estimating the price of chicken, I know it and price clients' menus accordingly.
Many of the country's top chefs use my company, but you seem to want to have a pop. Now then, how bothered do you think I am that the mighty vegster worries about what I do and that I'm working at 6am ? Mmmmmmm. Not at all. You're a clueless idiot who wants to have his say on something you know absolutely nothing about. Go and bore someone else with your Aldi prices.

Gotta love this site at times. A raging argument about the price per kg of chicken.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Thank you, Chicken George.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
"£17 for a cooked chicken ? What a mark up. I'm obviously not earning enough money for this place."

Not a great mark up at all really, considering it's a free range chicken.
You'll find the GP% won't be very much above 50%.

That is a low % GP perhaps times have changed but when I ran my stocktaking company (late 80s early 90s) the VAT Man expected 60%+ for food and 48 - 50 for liqour.

I would expect you to have a far greater knowledge and idea of trade prices from suppliers and Cash & Carry than the average man who will compare Aldi, Tesco Sainsburys etc with actual butchers

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Went to Wabi in Horsham today, presently surprised. Great Japanese food, some good lunch offers. We were well fed, and including a beer for me, game to £42 for 2 of us. I am convinced something was missed off the bill, but couldn't work it out.

Recommended, 8/10

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pizza Express, Lewes. 9/10

Have ate there before and it didn't disappoint this time. A bit more expensive that the Bella Pasta, Topolino, Pinocchio and Donatello's of the Italian restaurant world round Brighton/Lewes, but the food is a level above here. The staff are professional, hard working, and friendly. No hidden extras in the bill. Gorgeous desserts. Typical modern, clean, pleasant surroundings. We look forward to going back.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm going to have to say nice things about SEASONS on Boundary Road. It has everything the food snob in me should hate but I love it. Bought in deserts in novelty cases? Check. Bog standard British Italian menu? Check. Chav kids running round on Saturday lunchtimes while their mums have a coffee between them? Check.

Yet it has excellent service. They treat our children with genuine love even if the little one has screamed her way through the meal and is now hanging a spoon off her nose. They do special off menu requests. They do a nice bottle of wine for under £20 and they always have it in. If, like us, you have to go for lunch or early evening there is always a parade of characters in and out that makes it feel like an independent movie shot in New York. Two courses for two adults and two kids, plus wine, was £60 the last time we went. Their spaghetti vongole is EXCELLENT, swimming in garlic butter with the clams cooked perfectly. The Boss pizza is a thing of beauty.

It's essentially an Italian greasy spoon but that's no bad thing at all.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Anyone been to JBs American Diner, thinking of an Easter lunch there tomorrow...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here