Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Respecting the fallen?

Shambles.

We trekked out of the meeting to observe the silence in the main office, a few giggling away at something, keyboards being tapped away at and the M.D outside having a fag.

Oh well.

A peaceful respectful moment.

Attachments

• KESTREL 098.jpg
    KESTREL 098.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 220
  • KESTREL 102.jpg
    KESTREL 102.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 217
  • KESTREL 103.jpg
    KESTREL 103.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 215

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Its not something that ive noticed in mainland Europe, apart from the fireman buglers at Ypers, but thats daily, and localised......they celebrate liberation days etc, but Im not aware of anything that is just to remember the fallen... There seems little interest, particularly regarding WW2 and from what ive noticed, WW1 is considered a distant historical event, so nobody here that ive noticed does anything special.

Last edited:

el punal

My wife is a primary school teacher in a deprived area of the city. I'm proud to say that the children that she teaches (six year olds) have fully embraced the concept of Armistice and reasons for wearing a poppy with pride. They even made a poppy wreath which is being donated to the Royal British Legion. To cap it all, one of the little mites will be present at the Menin Gate in Ypres for today's Armistice commeration.

It is heart warming that the next generation, at such an early age, respect this proud and noble tradition of remembrance.

As for me, I was driving so I pulled in to a lay-by and sat quietly for the two minutes of remembrance. It was the least I could do.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Wouldn't it be better if we just had ONE time every year when we remember the fallen? Currently we have the football match before the 11th, the Sunday before the 11th, and then the 11th itself. I'm sure you'd see more people taking part if the focus was on one day/time.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Was in a Tesco superstore at the time and fully expecting hardly anyone to acknowledge the silence. To my pleasant surprise an announcement was made 5 mins before and at 11am. The whole place stood still, a few chaps on the benches beyond the tills took off their hats and stood up and even a few till staff stood. Not a sound or movement for the entire two minutes. Very impressed indeed.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to observe the silence this morning as the groceries delivery man knocked on the door and had to answer it.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Don't be livid, it's his choice. It's not compulsory and I hope never is.

It's his choice to remember or not, but when others are being silent, it is courteous to do so yourself.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Pleased to say that both staff and customers at my workplace observed it faultlessly.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
I'm lucky enough to work at Goodwood Aerodrome, which was RAF Westhampnett during wartime. There's a memorial to the airmen & local residents that lost their lives where a full service is held each year. The weather couldn't have been any worse but but I'm pleased to say it was one of the best represented memorials we've held. The poor vicar & local air cadets were soaked through by the time it had finished!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
falling silent
a few years ago had a chat on this day with a pacifist who refused to have the two minutes silence my argument is and always has been no doubt many of those men were pacifists and they would have loved to stay at home .........but went and sometimes lost their life so the pacifist of today can be just that and not have to go to lose their life

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Thanks for the pictures of the Chattri -is this how you spell it. When we were kids in Westdene, we used to play on the fields by the windmill on Mill Road in the days before the by-pass. We often wondered what that "thing" in white was, that we could see on the Downs, and as a teenagers we at last went to see it -wonderful memories.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Thanks for the pictures of the Chattri -is this how you spell it. When we were kids in Westdene, we used to play on the fields by the windmill on Mill Road in the days before the by-pass. We often wondered what that "thing" in white was, that we could see on the Downs, and as a teenagers we at last went to see it -wonderful memories.

I can see the Chattri from my bathroom window in Patcham. Always respected the sacrifice that people from other
continents made as well as that made from home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here