Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Respect to Vitesse Arnham

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Big hats off to Dutch side Vitesse Arnham who on Saturday just gone dedicated their match to the 68th anniversary of Operation Market Garden. they dropped their usual home strip of black and yellow to wear Maroon and light blue strip the colours of the british airbourne division. They also had the winged pegasus badge on the strip and the slogan 'no bridge to far' on the back of their shirts.

they also invited vetrens of Operation Market garden to be guests of honour at the game.

A bloody nice touch I feel.

Photo's can be found here News item - PICTURES Airborne match in GelreDome - Vitesse

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Excellent find. Thanks for sharing.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Brilliant appreciation for the allied effort
Great spot to find this

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Had a great uncle who parachuted right into the shit there. Only old man I ever knew who never spoke a word about the war.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
bit odd, 68th not a round number these things usually go for. is there a significance?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Had a great uncle who parachuted right into the shit there. Only old man I ever knew who never spoke a word about the war.

My Grandad was the same - I remember going with my family when he and other veterans went to a screening of A Bridge Too Far. The only time I remember him in any war context. He kept a scrapbook that we only saw after he died.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Thanks for this, I usually hear about this kind of thing from the Royal British Legion, but had not seen anything about this.
So thanks again

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
From reading their website and using google translator its seems this is the 6th year in the row they have invited the vetrens over their home game which is the nearest to the anniversary of Operation Market Garden. This year being the first time they have worn a special kit though. I guess its just their way of say thank you for the sacriface made the allied troops.

I've meet several dutch nationals on my travels in Europe andf they are always very grateful to us as a nation for what we did for them. Even if it was nearly 70 years ago.

Dandyman

In London village.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here