Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reply from Reading

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Tell me about it.

I'd rather have Dowie, myself.

I'm sure part of this is that Madejski wants to get one over Pardewdas by employing his "mentor".

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
But Platypuss, how long has the offer to Coppell been on the table?

Surely if your club was such a mouth-watering prospect then Steve would have signed by now?

What does this tell you about your club and the offer your chairman must have made?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Madejski is a two-faced prick who made a statement in the middle of an enormous strop over West Ham poaching Pardew, and is now forced to backtrack every time someone brings his hypocrisy to his attention. Madejski wanted to claim the moral high ground by labelling West Ham a disgrace for poaching an under contract manager, when now he is doing the exact same thing with ours. That is FACT.

Platypuss, you keep banging on and on about Knight not refusing Coppell permission to speak to Reading, as if this in some way absolves Madejski of all wrongdoings. IT DOESN'T. Knight had no choice but to inform Coppell of the approach, and now unfortunately for us, Coppell has excercised his right to speak to Madejski about the Reading job.

Don't come on here trying to tell us Madejski has done nothing wrong Platypuss. Yet again, for the umpteenth time, we are going to be left up shit creek without a paddle because some **** has come knocking on our door to nick our under-contract manager. Because contracts mean f***-all nowadays, Madejski has worked this to his own advantage and will quite happily rub our noses in it once Coppell is unveiled as your new manager.

That f***ing sucks, and you know it.

Sorry to butt in on your private argument with Platypuss, but...

It tells me that Coppell's heart is not really in the proposed move. As I have been saying on here for a while now, I don't think Coppel will be Reading's next manager. A fully-committed Coppell might have been worth having (although I would prefer Gary Johnson or Steve Cotterill). A half-hearted Coppell is of no use to us.

Quite where it would leave him now in the eyes of Brighton fans if he were to stay I don't know.???

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Well if he stays he obviously hasn't wanted to leave. He has alot of affection for the club and I think he'd rather the approach never happened. You can't blame him for talking to Reading. DK accepted an offer and only an idiot wouldn't have gone to see what was on offer. I don't mean money for Coppell but prospects of the team and money. He says he hasn't had contact with Reading since thursday morning, we are now in the early hours of Wednesday and he's still here. I think Coppell has stayed because he likes what he's got here and when two jags give us approval investment will come.
If SC stays he'll be a loyal man in my eyes. If it were all about money, he would be at Reading now.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Whitley do you think that Coppell may even be trying to cock up your season, in some attempt to get back at Madejski for ruining his last season.
By that I mean the signing of Sidwell was a major blow to Coppells campaign and on top of that taking Rougier back for no reason did also seem vindictive.
Perhaps he feels the longer he keeps them dangling the less chance you have of getting your promotoin run back on track.
The one thing about Coppell is, is a very deep thinker and tactician

Last edited:

It's possible. I believe that sort of thing does go on. Why do you think that nice Mr Pardew sent you Darius Henderson?

A Reading FC fan

Oct 5, 2003
i like the seagulls and the fans etc but if there's one thing that pisses me off immensely its calling our chairman hypocritical. no in fact it doesnt piss me off, i just find it completely illogical and actually quite funny. read platypusses comments again, read the article on the bbc and think about it. it really is not that difficult. yes, what weve done is not nice, but is not in any way shape or form hypocritical, period. no debate.

as for taylor - i dont know why we have to use that example at all. the fact that he himself said no at best nullifies the whole taylor question. a better example is colin lee. madejski pissed off the vast majority of reading fans including myself by being over-honourable and not going for him just because manager haywood (sp?) refused. and in this particular case colin lee expressed his desire to come to us. he wanted to come, the fans wanted him to come, both he and the fans were pissed of with madejski for being too honourable but madesjki stuck to his word. credit where credit is due. and what's more, if i remember correctly (?) he wasn't even manager - he was number 2 (but i may be wrong - my memory plays tricks on me).

as much as i am sorry to brighton fans and wish u guys luck, im afraid i have absolutely no tolerance for plain wrongness. he isn't doing the nicest thing in the world and certainly it sucks to be on the receiving end but madejski is NOT a hypocrite. end of story.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Actually I completely agree with the Reading fans here, Madjeski has done nothing wrong nor hypocritical. He is however still a **** of the highest order.

SiNZ

Oct 2, 2003
Captain Sensible said:
Well if he stays he obviously hasn't wanted to leave. He has alot of affection for the club and I think he'd rather the approach never happened. You can't blame him for talking to Reading. DK accepted an offer and only an idiot wouldn't have gone to see what was on offer. I don't mean money for Coppell but prospects of the team and money. He says he hasn't had contact with Reading since thursday morning, we are now in the early hours of Wednesday and he's still here. I think Coppell has stayed because he likes what he's got here and when two jags give us approval investment will come.
If SC stays he'll be a loyal man in my eyes. If it were all about money, he would be at Reading now.

:clap: My sentiments exactly :clap:

I also think that Madjeski's effort to take SC from us contains no wrong doing. DK could have said no, but knows that leaves a disgruntled manager. I personally believe that DK had already verbally agreed not to say no to any approaches to SC. In our current situation that's almost certainly a pre-requisite of acquiring managers of the quality we have. Madjeski said he'd accept any no response, he didn't say he'd only employ out of contract managers. Didn't we speak to the under-contract Danny Wilson last time? Making an offer to contracted manager is not wrong, unless you do a West Ham and ignore a "no."

Having said that, I would absolutely love Reading to go down and have us pass them on the way up! Just because I acknowledge that they haven't done anything wrong doesn't mean I can't hate them for this... they're still trying to take our manager after all.

PS I think he might stay you know.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
We're ALL in the dark over why nothing has been resolved yet. One person's guess is as good as another's. Here are the options as I see them.

1. Coppell isn't all that bothered about the Reading job, but will leave if silly money is finally offered. The delay is down to SC's terms.

2. Coppell is playing RFC off against BHA in order to get a better deal at BHA

3 He is genuinely torn, and STILL can't make up his mind

4. Coppell decided to join ages ago, but Knight is holding out for a large amount of compo in order to let Coppell go quietly. The delays are due to the negotiations over the compo.

My money's on 4, by the way, as all the leaks that have come out so far have indicated that it's a done deal in SC's mind.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
or, Coppell has had his problems with stress and pressure before and is asking himself "do I really want all the upheaval again when I've really got something quite good going here?"

Despite our crappy stadium and lack of prospects without Falmer, we are still top of the league with a squad of players who have largely been there/done that and know how to achieve promotion against the odds. Got to be worth 5 minutes thought on SC's part at least.

I still reckon the lure of Reading's money and stadium will win out in the end, but I like to think he genuinely has a dilemma on his hands.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Platypuss. Agree with you about point 4.

Money would never be the major issue for an individual like Coppell. There is no way Knight would offer Coppell increased dosh to stay - the money just isn't there.

It was reported down here that Reading initial offer to Coppell was unsatisfactory - but we just don't know. It could plainly be that, despite Reading's superior league position and facilities, Coppell actually likes it down here, and is reluctant to tear himself away.

What I do know Coppell is disgruntled at is the lack of funds at Withdean to strengthen the playing squad. That WOULD tip the balance back in our favour is cash were made available. Unfortunately, it just is not there.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Just a thought - Did Madejski approach Taylor direct oor via the Hull chairman. I ask because a lot is being made of the fact that Taylor said no.

If Madejski made the approach direct to Taylor and he turned him down, then this is pretty much the definition of hypocrisy for me...

However, if the approach was made via the Hull chairman then he did things the right way.

Regardless - I think Madejski is a schmuck. Just seeing if there is a hypocritical track record here.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I believe SC is genuinely torn - nothing to do with his own money. He likes it here and what he doesn't want is the prospect of another Man City type experience. I also believe that he is very wary of Mr Mad himself because he wants to get his fat fingers into everything - including team affairs. There's no way SC would stand for that and that's why he will stay here.

Platypuss

Oct 2, 2003
Madejski has NEVER got involved with team business in the 12+ years he's been at Reading, so why should he start now?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here