Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Replacement French Windows

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
One of the doors in our French windows in the kitchen is broken. And I mean properly broken, it's only hanging on by one hinge as the other two have snapped. (This wasn't a recent event, it had been dodgy for a few years but last night it finally gave up the ghost and is now wedged in place).

Anybody got an recommendations for people to fix new ones? (Or any people to avoid).

EDIT: I live in Brighton.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One of the doors in our French windows in the kitchen is broken. And I mean properly broken, it's only hanging on by one hinge as the other two have snapped. (This wasn't a recent event, it had been dodgy for a few years but last night it finally gave up the ghost and is now wedged in place).

Anybody got an recommendations for people to fix new ones? (Or any people to avoid).

Thanks.
UPVc, timber or aluminium?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks.
We've used Vision for a lot of windows since moving in. They've done a good job, pricing is reasonable too (on which, avoid Shaws). Some might identify certain problems with Vision, but I think that's part of their charm.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Upvc I guess. Certainly not wood or metal.

Thanks. Appreciated.
Okay, there is a guy in Mile Oak called the Window Doctor. He'd be my first call as he has a very good record of replacing hinges, handles, glass, seals etc. without needing a complete new unit installed. Mark 07818025325.

If it's just the hinges and general wear on those, then a repair job may well be worth considering.

For a replacement, just remember that windows and doors do come under building regulations and are a notifiable item to building control unless a unit is supplied and installed by a FENSA or CERTASS registered company who can issue you with a certificate on completion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We've used Vision for a lot of windows since moving in. They've done a good job, pricing is reasonable too (on which, avoid Shaws). Some might identify certain problems with Vision, but I think that's part of their charm.
Ah, charm. Ten years ago my neighbour engaged a pair of late middle-aged transvestite builders. Subconsciously you anticipate attention to detail.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here