Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Renting in Brighton & Hove

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe because finding a decent landlord to rent from privately is not easy as easy as going to an agent.

Agent fees should be banned simple as that, if you are a renter, with the up and coming general election this is a good time to challenge them on this issue.

As a landlord I avoid using agents at all - absolute sharks for both the tenant and the landlord. Going through an agent doesn't protect you against having a dodgy landlord - it just costs you more. I personally rate Letting Agents lower than estate agents, lawyers and recruitment agents.

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
As a landlord I avoid using agents at all - absolute sharks for both the tenant and the landlord. Going through an agent doesn't protect you against having a dodgy landlord - it just costs you more. I personally rate Letting Agents lower than estate agents, lawyers and recruitment agents.

Exactly why agent fees should be banned, take the fee for drawing up the tenancy agreement, that's a joke, bring template up, enter details press print, mug off tennent for anything between £50-£90 every 6 months

Oct 25, 2003
i'm renting in Shoreham through Jason Dean lettings who are based in Hove. I must say they've been alright as long as you get through to Jason himself as he tends to get things sorted quite quick and is generally quite pleasant. Not convinced by his staff though as things have taken a while when I've gone through them.

We had a 6 month contract and they haven't charged us for renewing which I was amazed about, absolutely amazed.

Would recommend

Stumpy Tim

I'm just about to rent a property out. How do you find tenants?

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Avoid King and Chasemore. Useless in all ways.

I've heard fairly good things about them... they send me lots of updates too. The chap is called Dan I think.

One week in to 'hunting' for a place - its really tough and very competitive. Fees are involved for the most basic of tasks and estate agents seem to be pocketing a mint! Rental for a room is roughly £500 upwards which is just insane for the quality that is available. 2 beds are just as ridiculously priced even in the most obscure parts of Brighton. I understand fully the supply and demand - but some of this is merely day light robbery and there are absolutely no measures in place to stop it getting more absurd. I simply wish I could put down a deposit and be done with it but unfortunately the generation before have buggered that up with £30k being the minimum!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm just about to rent a property out. How do you find tenants?

Gumtree - never had a bad tenant from it either ( unlike letting agents when I first started in the business ). I insist on seeing redacted copies of three months of bank statements, three months of pay slips ( or housing benefit entitlement from the council ) and ID such passport / photo driving licence. Property always goes to the first tenant providing these and the deposit ( cash or bank transfer ).

One bit of advice if you do use Gumtree - get a cheap mobile and a giff gaff sim - you will get unindated within hours of it going on the web.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
haven't found a single letting agent that weren't an absolute nightmare. The only vaguely enjoyable experience I've had with renting in Brighton was with a very good private landlord (this was a houseshare that I moved into so no idea where the initial tenants found him).

If you're renting in Brighton, you're going to get ripped off, it's just a case of managing how much you're going to get ripped off

Same here.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not a lot of love for Cambridge! We're currently renting through them, have been for three years and we've never had any issues. Always been quick to sort out any problems we've had.

I used them years ago and thought they were pretty good.

Until they "lost" about 6 months of my rent. Luckily I kept the receipts (paid cash)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gumtree - never had a bad tenant from it either ( unlike letting agents when I first started in the business ). I insist on seeing redacted copies of three months of bank statements, three months of pay slips ( or housing benefit entitlement from the council ) and ID such passport / photo driving licence. Property always goes to the first tenant providing these and the deposit ( cash or bank transfer ).

One bit of advice if you do use Gumtree - get a cheap mobile and a giff gaff sim - you will get unindated within hours of it going on the web.

Is the passport check to weed out those EU immigrants? :lolol:

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I just returned to Brighton (Hove actually) after 25 years away. Renting nr Norfolk Square through King & Chasemore. They've been great in every respect. Drop the office in Church Road a call and speak to Hannah she's been brilliant in helping me get back home again.

think i leant on the thumbs down button... ooops! dont know how to rectify.. apologies... im sure hannah is lovely!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here