Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Renfe Española

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Sorry, couldn’t resist, not a rumour about a potential signing from La liga. Off to Sevilla in February and will do some longer distance train trips. Just been on Renfe web site (state run rail company in Spain) for train tickets and web site not particularly intuitive. Just wondering if anyone has come across a more user friendly web site to buy online train tickets for Spain (assume buying on the day = expensive). Any Spanish train travel tips would be very welcome.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm sure many answers will be along soon, but in the meantime I'd be amazed if typing 'train travel in Spain' into The YouTube doesn't provide you with all the answers and more.

Seemingly 'travel blogs' make up a large part of their content.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Sorry, couldn’t resist, not a rumour about a potential signing from La liga. Off to Sevilla in February and will do some longer distance train trips. Just been on Renfe web site (state run rail company in Spain) for train tickets and web site not particularly intuitive. Just wondering if anyone has come across a more user friendly web site to buy online train tickets for Spain (assume buying on the day = expensive). Any Spanish train travel tips would be very welcome.
Try Seat 61 spain. Seat 61 is a website run by a very knowledgeable traveller

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I'm sure many answers will be along soon, but in the meantime I'd be amazed if typing 'train travel in Spain' into The YouTube doesn't provide you with all the answers and more.

Seemingly 'travel blogs' make up a large part of their content.
Problem with social media is whether influencers are being genuinely helpful and/or steering to a money making link.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

brulee

Aug 12, 2008
Book about 45 days before you travel for best prices. You can use the renfe app which translates into English. You should be able to pick up a ticket for about 30 euros. Or use train line. Or omni. Takes about 2.5 hours

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Book about 45 days before you travel for best prices. You can use the renfe app which translates into English. You should be able to pick up a ticket for about 30 euros. Or use train line. Or omni. Takes about 2.5 hours
Dial up?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Try and investigate through the man in seat 61 webpage, lots of advice on how to book. I used RENFE to travel to Barcelona from La Tour Du Carole for the first time last year, and it was a minefield ticketing wise, I use a different system for booking as I am on rail staff travel, but I found it fairly easy after a few attempts.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’ve got a friend who has a Valladolid to Madrid season ticket and he reckons they’re shithouse

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
You sure? That’s for unlimited travel in a certain time period isn’t it? Before covid I did train from Alicante to Madrid and no pass required.
Of course no pass is required for journeys, but if you want the deeply discounted special fares available to non residents you do. If you only wish to make a few journeys during your holiday than I suggest buying a 'tarjeta dorada', available at all main stations for about 7 euros (passport needed for ID). This gives you discounts between 25 - 40% on all journeys depending on the day of the week.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Of course no pass is required for journeys, but if you want the deeply discounted special fares available to non residents you do. If you only wish to make a few journeys during your holiday than I suggest buying a 'tarjeta dorada', available at all main stations for about 7 euros (passport needed for ID). This gives you discounts between 25 - 40% on all journeys depending on the day of the week.
Your post made it sound like it was a mandatory requirement to be able to travel!

Bod

Dec 8, 2015
Trainline

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here