NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
_88992302_garde_opta_tweet.jpg

I bet Villa now wish they'd kept Sherwood. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Owen Coyle to return to England?

Basing that off of nothing but he's one of the few experienced Championship/PL managers I can think of that might see it as a step up at the moment.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Felix Magath then, with his fantastic record of always saving his teams from relegation (except just the once!)

Or Shearer? He has a similar record.

Of course if Bruce went there it would be brilliant for us but the comedy value is surely in Schteeve. Or Phil Brown. Or Steve Evans....

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Wouldn't surprise me if they got an ex player in who can galvanise the fans. Step forward Dean Saunders.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Terrible choice in the first place

I disagree.

The problem Garde faced is that the club wouldn't accept they were doomed and needed a few years in the lower leagues to rebuild. He was pretty much shafted once he was denied the funds to refresh the team in January (and should have walked out then TBH).

Villa is a club where the owner wants out and has no interest in it.. Chief executives last just a few months, the finance director resigned a few months ago: I don't see what chance any manager had in trying to revive their fortunes.

There was a logic behind Garde's appointment. He worked extensively with the youth team at Lyon and built up from a secure base. When a club hasn't the money to spend (and Villa certainly hasn't) then the manager has to develop a team - if the powers-that-be are prepared to give him time. He also didn't take any crap from players, some of whom were looking to drift through the season. He may not have worked out but he wasn't even given a chance to go down this route.

I'm not sure what Villa's board is thinking. They haven't got the players to get themselves out of a hole - and clearly some have a bad attitude (and the board will tolerate them rather than support a manager). Nor are they prepared to swallow a relegation (or even two) and build from the ground up. Nor are they prepared to invest in a team. Garde is a scapegoat (as were Sherwood and Lambert) for some dreadful management decisions above them. I can't Villa getting out of the spiral any time soon

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Given the current mess behind the scenes, only a complete desperate no mark will throw their CV into the intray at Villa Park.

All the time Randy Lerner is involved the decline will continue. Like others, I can see them slipping to relegation again next season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
It's a great opportunity for a manager that wants a long-term project building his own squad from the ground up as a good 75% of their players will leave at the end of the season. Would be perfect for Brendan Rodgers but he won't take it as he is clearly waiting for the England job :)shootself).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's a great opportunity for a manager that wants a long-term project building his own squad from the ground up as a good 75% of their players will leave at the end of the season. Would be perfect for Brendan Rodgers but he won't take it as he is clearly waiting for the England job :)shootself).

Is he? You'd suspect it'd be a long wait on his part...is that what happened to Curbishley? Just sitting at home waiting for the FA to call, staring at an increasingly dusty phone...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a great opportunity for a manager that wants a long-term project building his own squad from the ground up as a good 75% of their players will leave at the end of the season.

Will they though? Surely there can't be that many out of contract at the end of the season. If not out of contract, can't see many of them getting deals elsewhere to match their Villa salaries - I can see Villa having more of a problem with players they can't get rid of.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will they though? Surely there can't be that many out of contract at the end of the season. If not out of contract, can't see many of them getting deals elsewhere to match their Villa salaries - I can see Villa having more of a problem with players they can't get rid of.

They could have relegation clauses in their contracts, as a lot of clubs insert them now as a cover against continued high wages. I believe Burnleys kick in after 1 season in The Championship, ie next season if not promoted again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I disagree.

The problem Garde faced is that the club wouldn't accept they were doomed and needed a few years in the lower leagues to rebuild. He was pretty much shafted once he was denied the funds to refresh the team in January (and should have walked out then TBH).

Villa is a club where the owner wants out and has no interest in it.. Chief executives last just a few months, the finance director resigned a few months ago: I don't see what chance any manager had in trying to revive their fortunes.

There was a logic behind Garde's appointment. He worked extensively with the youth team at Lyon and built up from a secure base. When a club hasn't the money to spend (and Villa certainly hasn't) then the manager has to develop a team - if the powers-that-be are prepared to give him time. He also didn't take any crap from players, some of whom were looking to drift through the season. He may not have worked out but he wasn't even given a chance to go down this route.

I'm not sure what Villa's board is thinking. They haven't got the players to get themselves out of a hole - and clearly some have a bad attitude (and the board will tolerate them rather than support a manager). Nor are they prepared to swallow a relegation (or even two) and build from the ground up. Nor are they prepared to invest in a team. Garde is a scapegoat (as were Sherwood and Lambert) for some dreadful management decisions above them. I can't Villa getting out of the spiral any time soon

No, [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] was right, Garde WAS a terrible choice. The thinking behind it seemed to be "well, we've gone and brought in a load of unknown French kids...Garde is French....I know, lets get Garde". Madness. He'd only ever been a number 2 in France, never managed in this country, and yet he was pitched into a relegation dogfight with Villa already seriously adrift in the relegation zone. It looked a bad appointment from day 1, and that's exactly how its turned out.

Whoever they appointed would have had their work cut out there, but giving it to a guy who'd never managed, and who's only experience was coaching kids and being an assistant in Ligue 1 was a ridiculous decision, whatever way you slice it. Its not Garde's fault they're going down, that club has been in steady decline for years now and they didn't even bother to back him in January so Lerner had clearly already given up. Appointing Garde was just the latest in a series of appalling decisions by the Villa board, and they will now reap what they have sowed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The thinking behind it seemed to be "well, we've gone and brought in a load of unknown French kids...Garde is French....I know, lets get Garde". Madness. He'd only ever been a number 2 in France, never managed in this country,

He'd been a manager for three years and had won the French cup, so he was scarcely an untried entity. And while he hadn't managed in the PL, he'd played in it so had a pretty good idea what was needed.

I agree that if the club wanted someone to firefight and do well in the short term, he was a poor choice but if they wanted someone to build from the ground up and stay there long term (which IMO is what the club should be thinking) then he'd be a good candidate

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He'd been a manager for three years and had won the French cup, so he was scarcely an untried entity. And while he hadn't managed in the PL, he'd played in it so had a pretty good idea what was needed.

I agree that if the club wanted someone to firefight and do well in the short term, he was a poor choice but if they wanted someone to build from the ground up and stay there long term (which IMO is what the club should be thinking) then he'd be a good candidate

Stand corrected then, I thought I'd read that he'd only ever coached in france and not actually managed there. It was still a left-field appointment though, and one that never looked likely to work in the short or long term. He played 30-odd games about 15 years ago in the PL for Arsenal - that's certainly not a grounding for knowing what was needed in a relegation scrap, nothing like it. I dunno what promises he was made when he joined, but the fact that they made no signings whatsoever in January meant the writing was on the wall for that sorry club.

I don't think anyone blames Garde for Villa going down, but it really was a poor, poor appointment. I feel genuinely sorry for the Villa fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here