Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** REMF10, April 29th, Lewes. Want to play? ***

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
OPEN INVITATION TO PLAY IN REMF 10.

We would like the proceeds from this year's REMF match to exceed the £10,000 raised at last year's match, so if anyone would like to play in this year's REMF match, here's your opportunity to apply and to help beat that target.

This year, the places in the Brighton REMF squad are available to absolutely everyone, and we're offering those places in the squad to the highest bidders.

In order to bid for your place (or maybe on behalf of someone else), simply send a private bid to andyrumble@gmail.com, and the highest 14 bidders at 11pm on Monday 21st March will be invited into the squad. Your bid can be your own money, or via sponsorship.

From there, the REMF squad will be encouraged to obtain further player sponsorship, and the player with the highest sponsorship (initial private bid included) will have the honour of being this year's REMF captain.

Cheers :albion:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We seem to have a binfest nearly every year about this, and it does put people off, which is a tragedy, so I'm just going to clarify the position.

The squad policy has, over the past few years, suffered from accusations of being a bit of a closed shop.

Mindful of this, and this year's match being the tenth, it was decided to open the squad up to whoever wanted to play. This of course would then leave the situation open to too many people wanting to play.

So, bearing in mind the central idea of the REMF matches is to raise money, and feeling that playing for REMF is a privilege, not a right, we felt that anyone who wishes to play should financially contribute for that privilege, by whatever means.

We've no idea how much people will bid. It could be that £5.00 will get you in, it could take £50.00. We've no idea. But it will raise funds. We'll even keep you posted at various points on what the 14th highest bid is.

After that, players will then be strongly encouraged to obtain sponsorship. One player found to his credit that the hard work he put in meant he could proudly lift the trophy on behalf of his team (having belted in the winning penalty).

Who knows, it could be your turn next...

Is this the fairest approach? You can have your opinions, but we feel no embarrassment about trying to raise as much money as possible by whatever (legitimate) means as possible.

Is it the perfect approach? Maybe not, and I'm sure someone will come up with a foolproof plan that pleases absolutely everyone, but we never really found one.

Is this the right approach? We think so.

We hope you'll support us in this.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In the interest of fairness to all, can some ground rules be published...

1. Will, at any time before the close of the bidding process, any details of bids be revealed publically? For example on the 20th a follow-up of "As things stand, a bid of £45 will get you a place in the Albion team" etc is produced it could encourage further bids and/or encourage those falling below the line to re-bid (are re-bids allowed?)? Some people have been saying that they've been 'priced out' - has there been circulation of bid values already?

2. If someone 'wins' but is unable to take part, say due to injury, will the place be offered to the highest losing bidder(s) etc?

3. For the sake of transparency, will a complete list of bids, winning and losing, be published after the close of the bidding period?

4. Any other rules that people should be aware of?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
What if everyone who bids wants to play upfront?

What if everyone stops trying to pick holes in this?

People are bidding to be in the squad, not to play up front - or anywhere else for that matter.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
no wardy this year?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wardy is subject to other commitments. Marlowe and Rogers are confirmed and Poyet , well we will know if he turns up on the day. Please get behind Andy, the team and his selection policy. We are doing all we can to make REMF 10 the best ever.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I share that opinion. If the lower bid threshold was published daily, it could inspire people to bid that may have thought a place was out of reach.

I was trying to say that before, possibly badly, but was seemingly ignored...

1. Will, at any time before the close of the bidding process, any details of bids be revealed publically? For example on the 20th a follow-up of "As things stand, a bid of £45 will get you a place in the Albion team" etc is produced it could encourage further bids and/or encourage those falling below the line to re-bid (are re-bids allowed?)?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Currently a £25 would enable you to play. :bhasign:

I am still hoping that Bozza bids. :jester:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Only £25, crikey, I'd expect it to be 10x that amount by the closing date, for REMF's sake.

Really? You live in a different world to me - I don't see why anyone (let alone the 14 people you allude to) would pay £250 out of their pocket to play in this.

(And that's not a sleight on the charity, I just don't see why someone would pay that kind of money.)

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
Really? You live in a different world to me - I don't see why anyone (let alone the 14 people you allude to) would pay £250 out of their pocket to play in this.

(And that's not a sleight on the charity, I just don't see why someone would pay that kind of money.)

I only say £250 as I would have thought there are some wealthy people on this board that would be happy to throw down a chunk of cash for charity and to play football. Also, some of those sponsored in previous years may well have racked up a couple of hundred pounds in sponsorship and may have been confident of doing the same again.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But surely, you bid £25 and then get in the side and put out sponsorship forms and you are then up to £250 quite quickly!

I am with Bozza ( suprisingly) on this. the initial bid is just so you can play, the sponsorship will come once you have been accepted and are part of the squad.....although time is getting short so...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here