Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF match - a suggestion? (sorry Bozza)

Lush

Mods' Pet
Bozza - I know you've closed the other thread, so please feel free to delete this - and if people could restrict themselves to just commenting on this but ...

Why don't we have two sides playing a half each? (If CPFC don't mind?)

Wardy and Ricky probably won't last the full 90 mins anyway. It would give some other people (Snoobs, Simon, Ian Martin from the club shop etc) a chance to play. It would increase the number of people raising funds. I want us to win, but I can't see that this is going to that badly affected by having two different teams?

Or is this a really bad idea?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
England 1 - 3 Australia (11 Subs at half time)

:p

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
In my opinion nobody should have a divine right to expect to play. You can't accommodate for every Brighton fan that plays football! It's inevitable some people will miss out.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bozza - I know you've closed the other thread, so please feel free to delete this - and if people could restrict themselves to just commenting on this but ...

Why don't we have two sides playing a half each? (If CPFC don't mind?)

Wardy and Ricky probably won't last the full 90 mins anyway. It would give some other people (Snoobs, Simon, Ian Martin from the club shop etc) a chance to play. It would increase the number of people raising funds. I want us to win, but I can't see that this is going to that badly affected by having two different teams?

Or is this a really bad idea?
I think it's a good idea, but I do think that this year the decisions have been made and everybody should just get on with it.

Reading that thread yesterday made me cast my mind back to 2001 and how we got it all going in the first place. We started training in October (the match was in early December), we trained every week and although we started off as a group of strangers we all got to know each other and we really wanted to do a good job in memory of Robert. Then on the day of the match we all met up in the afternoon, went to a hotel for a pre-match meal and got a coach to the ground just like a 'proper' team. After getting changed we had a team talk from Peter Taylor! The whole experience was brilliant, just brilliant and it would be great for more people to experience it. And despite the fact we had a bit of a 'mixed ability' squad we still gave a good account of ourselves and the match finished 4-4. All that happened was the weaker players didn't get too much game time (I only played for about twenty minutes) whereas the SUPERSTARS like Stumpy Tim played nearly the whole game. Being a charity game and not a FIFA World Cup qualifiying match there was no limit on subs and we did 'roll on roll off' substitutions.

I'm sure something along the lines you've suggested could work for next year.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The opposition might complain though or could they do the same ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The opposition might complain though or could they do the same ?
In that first game I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened. Also, as I mentioned above, as it was a charity game the rules on substitutions were not strictly observed - it was more like an England friendly in the Sven era. I'm pretty sure we had about sixteen in our squad and I'm pretty sure that everybody played at least five minutes (except Dave the Gaffer who got injured after about a minute!). Also the kick-off was done by some little blonde woman (some local celebrity, can't remember her name), plus I do believe that an arch Palace fan and ardent Albion hater, The Seagulleater, put on an Albion shirt and played for five minutes against the Palace fans! (A sort of 'shirt of hurt' thing and I think he was sponsored to do it, but let's not go there again ...)

EDIT: Just seen Richie's other thread - might be an idea to merge the two?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here