Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remember when we thought this guy was our saviour?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He wasn’t well, in my memory. Throwing up on the pitch etc. He had some condition that pretty much destroyed his career.

Or am I making this up? It’s what I seem to remember.
Nope, you remember correctly. I always reckoned he had glandular fever or something like that. There was clearly something far from right with the lad. He never looked well

*edit* just seen further up the thread that he may have been prone to chronic nerves before matches

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Was he before or after the Jesse Lingard loan

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There's been a few over the years.

On the coaching front, remember when it looked like our new messiah was going to be Stockport County's Jim Gannon, the Next Big Thing in the managerial game?
I try not to.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
How did we need saving? we almost got automatic that season and blew it not beating Derby at home which for the life of me I don’t understand why that game was took so lightly. Seemed weird at the time.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
My memory is hazy but didn't he miss a great chance when we were 1-0 up in the SF against massive (cut back from Knocky I think) and about a minute later they scored their fluke cross/goal?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I try not to.
I've just googled him. This is his managerial career thus far.

Stockport- saved them from relegation despite a ten point deduction (this must have been the point we were talking to him). Left due to cost cutting.
Motherwell- quit after 25 games
Peterborough- left after two months.
Port Vale- sacked after ten weeks.
Stockport (again)- sacked
Northwich Victoria- left to manage Stockport again
Stockport (yet again)- got them promoted, left to join....
Hyde United...sacked after eight months.

Current status: unemployed.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
He wasn’t well, in my memory. Throwing up on the pitch etc. He had some condition that pretty much destroyed his career.

Fairly sure he was throwing up on the pitch in front of us on a match on Boing day 2015 or New Years day 2016

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Point taken, but NSC at the time was absolutely creaming itself at the prospect of him playing for us.
I remember similar excitement when we got Graham (1 goal in 30) Barrett on loan from Arsenal, I think at the same time as Steve Sidwell. Fair to say only one of those two was anygood.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I remember similar excitement when we got Graham (1 goal in 30) Barrett on loan from Arsenal, I think at the same time as Steve Sidwell. Fair to say only one of those two was anygood.
same season but Barrett was slightly before, being signed during Hinshelwood's reign. Coppell fairly promptly signed Sidwell when he took over, having managed him at Brentford

I believe that we turned down the chance to sign Kolo Toure on loan at the same time as Barrett although I may be wrong. Barrett was a big let down, came with a big reputation (having, I think already made his Ireland debut) and the prospect of a Zamora-Barrett-Kitson front three was MOUTHWATERING at the time

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fairly sure he was throwing up on the pitch in front of us on a match on Boing day 2015 or New Years day 2016
Believe it was NYD. A friend of mine spoke to Bruno about this at the time, he laughed and hinted that James had had quite a heavy night prior...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Barrett was great for the first few games - showed huge promise - then just bizarrely fell away. Always sticks in my mind this decline. A bit like Razak.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I recall him looking unwell on most of his appearances.
That's because he was unwell. Puking on the pitch.

Regarding blasts from the past, Jake Forster-Caskey was at it today in the cup :ohmy:

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022

Yes I think you are right he did have some sort of illness that effected his career

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
That's because he was unwell. Puking on the pitch.

Regarding blasts from the past, Jake Forster-Caskey was at it today in the cup :ohmy:
He looked great coming off the bench, particularly with his pace against tired players.

I just wonder whether he picked up some sort of long term virus, he still looked dreadful at Middlesbrough, or alternatively perhaps suffered from the most shocking nerves, needing to throw up prior to games.

Hopefully he has grown out of the latter (was he 18? When with us)….. feel a bit sorry for him, as ultimately his career fell dramatically.

As for saviour……. Nah……. I think we were excited at receiving a ‘hot prospect’ from the mighty Man Utd, a team who ironically would now bite our hand off for some of our players…… How times change.

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
same season but Barrett was slightly before, being signed during Hinshelwood's reign. Coppell fairly promptly signed Sidwell when he took over, having managed him at Brentford

I believe that we turned down the chance to sign Kolo Toure on loan at the same time as Barrett although I may be wrong. Barrett was a big let down, came with a big reputation (having, I think already made his Ireland debut) and the prospect of a Zamora-Barrett-Kitson front three was MOUTHWATERING at the time
We were offered kolo toure on loan and Dick knight and Hinsh went to see him in a training match . Knight wanted to sign him on loan for the season but Hinsh didn’t rate him so Knight didn’t want to undermine his manager so he was not signed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here