Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Relegation

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
It will be the promoted teams alas, the gap between the top two leagues gets bigger every season due to the TV money. If you are part of that emerging oligopoly like us, I guess for self-interest reasons you don't complain too much, but it's not great for the wider game
Hope you haven’t put the bok on it for Sunday

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'd like Luton to do it, purely as such massive underdogs who've been written off by many.

Muff also falling for the curse of binning off a reasonable manager who had them playing, putting in a so called more glamorous name, and having it blow up in their faces.
Totally agree on both counts.
Luton is my mother’s “family” team, coming from Harpenden, not that they’ve ever meant much to me.
And B’muff just daft over their manager thing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
??? Hmmmm.

I know all that and I almost wholeheartedly agree. But I'm still Mr 'One Game At A Time' and when I turn up to a game I expect a defeat, so anything else is a bonus. I'm not naturally a negative person – cynical, yes, but not a doom-monger – but I find it helps limit the disappointment if we DO lose!

Of course, I'm not saying we WILL go down, nor that I think the chance of it it more than one or two percent. However, I'm also wary of how ANYTHING can happen in football. Absolutely anything. And in my head, the first target at the beginning of any season – especially one where key players have been sold, the team is playing in Europe for the first time and new/young players are still playing the deZerbi way – is to avoid relegation. Life is full of examples of people getting too complacent and it's not a trap I'm keen to fall into.
Indeed! Mathematically safe is the first aim….

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Extrapolate 3 points from last 5 games (which is the worst possible sample size) and we finish on 34 points, which would probably still be enough this season!
I read yesterday that we are actually 3 points better off after 11 games than we were last season - so we shouldn’t get hung up about the last 5 games that included playing City, Liverpool & Villa. Let’s hope we get 3 points Sunday and our injured players back soon and we push on and hopefully challenge for the top 6/7 again

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
"Extrapolate"?
Serious question? It means to take a set of results or readings and assume a continuation over a longer period or larger set of data.
I read yesterday that we are actually 3 points better off after 11 games than we were last season - so we shouldn’t get hung up about the last 5 games that included playing City, Liverpool & Villa. Let’s hope we get 3 points Sunday and our injured players back soon and we push on and hopefully challenge for the top 6/7 again
I'm not hung up about it! I'm just trying to calm the nerves of fellow fans that can't come to terms with us now being a solid mid-upper table team.

For anyone that is still nervous until we pass the mis 30s, you can get 750-1 on us being relegated, which is the same as Man U and Villa and longer than Chelsea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Er, there is. There was a chance of Leicester winning the league - it was 1,000/1, as I remember.

It might be one in a million, but there is still a chance.
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here