Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Relegation points total 2018/19...?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Wonder if Derby's records will be broken. Fewest points in a season: 11, Derby County (2007–08)

Also this one could be up for grabs: Fewest points in a season while surviving relegation: 34, West Bromwich Albion (2004–05)

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Wonder if Derby's records will be broken. Fewest points in a season: 11, Derby County (2007–08)

I think that is hugely unlikely. To achieve what Derby did, you really need to be the only really shit side in the division.

If there are multiple train-wrecks then they are going to inch past that total just by virtue of the odd result against each other (eg Cardiff 4-2 Fulham, Palace 0-1 Saints...)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Also this one could be up for grabs: Fewest points in a season while surviving relegation: 34, West Bromwich Albion (2004–05)
Decent odds-on (1/3?) for me that one gets beaten this season...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Here is a prediction.

Palace will get their lowest Premier League points total (under 32) and survive.

How.........

Palace will also be awarded the most amount of penalties given to any one team in Premier League history (over 13 LCFC 15/16).

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Gut feeling (and yes its big enough for it) with struggling clubs already starting to fall behind I can see a lowish points tally needed for 17th this season ... for the Albion though I dont care what the cut off point is I want us to get at least what we achieved last season and improve on it
30 points for 17th and 40 is dead safe is my prediction.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Gut feeling (and yes its big enough for it) with struggling clubs already starting to fall behind I can see a lowish points tally needed for 17th this season ... for the Albion though I dont care what the cut off point is I want us to get at least what we achieved last season and improve on it
30 points for 17th and 40 is dead safe is my prediction.

Agree - can’t see anywhere near 40 being needed......that’ll be ‘comfortably mid-table’. Would love us to be on 35 with half a dozen games to go, allowing maybe a bit more freedom on the pitch but very happy for Chris to continue his pragmatic approach until we get there, even if it is a bit ugly and nerve-shredding at times.

If it ain’t broke etc..........and also think we’ll start to play better anyway.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Interesting stat from The Guardian:

In total, the bottom six have conjured up 30 points, easily the lowest total of recent seasons. This time last year, the cumulative figure was 46. In 2016 it was 43, in 2015 44, and in 2014 it was 50. The implication being: a lower points total might be enough to stay up.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Before Wolves I would have taken a draw, but recognised that a win would be huge as I can’t see the safety point being much more than 33 points.
As others have said it may even be lower. Thanks to the top 6 being better this year and top half sides like Everton, Leicester and BMuff not handing points around with gay abandon like they did last year. Also factor in last season the extended awful runs in the 2nd half for Arsenal, (7th placed) Burnley and Watford - the equivalent of which I don’t think will happen this year, and Wolves looking a better side than either of last season’s promoted trio, and there’s likely to be fewer points available to the bottom 6 or 8 clubs.
So far the bottom 7 have had 70 games and registered just 7 wins - the majority against each other. That’s dreadful form, and the bottom 4 have won just 2 out of 40. For 2 of the current bottom 4 and 5 of the bottom 7 to get 33 points or more will require such a large change in general form that it’s starting to look very unlikely already.

If we can pick up another 6 points before the Chelsea game (preferably against Cardiff, Hudds, Burnley and palace), I think we’ll have broken the back of the target already - which is why the Wolves win was potentially worth way more than just 3 points to us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Currently my projection is that 34 points will be safe.

If Burnley lose to Arsenal it drops to 33 points required for safety ( ie 4 more wins ).

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The encouraging thing for me is that 10 out of our 21 points (almost half) have come against teams above us in the table - 9 of them against teams in the top ten (and could have been even more if we hadn't been so respectful of/over-awed by Spurs and Chelsea).
Nonetheless I still won't rest easy until there are three teams on the 'teams that can't catch us' thread!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Currently my projection is that 34 points will be safe.

If Burnley lose to Arsenal it drops to 33 points required for safety ( ie 4 more wins ).

34 points was enough last year, and 18th position had 15 points at the same stage.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With the points dropped by the bottom 3 today, my projection now drops to just 32 points needed for safety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here