Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relegation??.......No worries..

skintboy

Jul 12, 2003
Eastborne
After 3 games and although only 1 point I have seen enough to really believe that we will be comfortable this season.I know that the Plymouth game was poor but we are looking like a team that is only going to get better as the season progresses.I thought we were the better side until Coventry scored and although we had a 10 minute spell when Coventry kept ball and looked like winning,overall we probably deserved to win the game but certainly deserved the point.I was impressed with Currie in particular, but everyone looked capable of handling the step up to this division,and we are far better than this time 2 years ago.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
If we had lost yesterday I think we would have been on a deep downward spiral as confidence was very low after they scored. We also have a difficult game next Saturday. However, coming back for the point (which we deserved) will give some belief. I was also impressed with the manager's comments "any points with the team we have at this stage are a bonus" - he obviously believes this is the lowest point of our season and when others return to the team we get better. Looks OK just now, thanks to the last gasp goal.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
skintboy said:
I was impressed with Currie in particular, but everyone looked capable of handling the step up to this division,and we are far better than this time 2 years ago.

Fair comment but I'm not sure that "everyone" who played yesterday will necessary be able to adjust to and play well at the level of the Championship. Just hope that I'm wrong.

:wave:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is no way of saying this without sounding a doom-merchant, so guilty as charged. But to all those who are so sure we'll be fine, where exactly are these three teams that are worse than us?

Gillingham have beaten Leeds, Rotherham have confounded the pundits for years, I saw Burnley and Watford yesterday and they are both man-for-man better sides than us, and most teams in the Championship have ex-Premiership players in their ranks.

Heart: we'll pull off a miracle with team spirit, tactics and Knight and Molango will click as a pairing. Head: 'Tactics' is not McGhee's forte, very little chance of surviving.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
You're right - it's not going to be easy Tooting, but teams like Rotherham and Gillingham are far more experienced at this level and know all about the battle ahead. That would explain why they've been quicker out of the blocks.

Fact is though they're usually in the relegation shake-up at the end, and we've shown enough promise to suggest we won't be cut adrift if we learn quickly from our mistakes.

It will be tight - but if we could take it to the wire last time after a terrible, terrible run, then we can stay up this time.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think we'll be O K , but I'm trying to forget what happened after we drew at home to Coventry last year.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Let's also remember that no matter what anybody says about McGhee, he knows this division extremely well, and I think he will get it right.

I doubt it will pretty this year, but who cares so long as it's effective?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Tooting Gull said:
Head: 'Tactics' is not McGhee's forte, very little chance of surviving.

Seems a bit harsh to me. He admits he was wrong on Tuesday, but we're all entitled to make mistakes, the key is to learn from them.

I would say he must be very astute tactically to have got us out of Div 2 last year, because you would be hard pressed to say we had the best players in the division. Most of the credit must go to MM for his tactics, no matter how awful they were to watch for entertainment value!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tooting Gull said:
There is no way of saying this without sounding a doom-merchant, so guilty as charged. But to all those who are so sure we'll be fine, where exactly are these three teams that are worse than us?

Gillingham have beaten Leeds, Rotherham have confounded the pundits for years, I saw Burnley and Watford yesterday and they are both man-for-man better sides than us, and most teams in the Championship have ex-Premiership players in their ranks.

Heart: we'll pull off a miracle with team spirit, tactics and Knight and Molango will click as a pairing. Head: 'Tactics' is not McGhee's forte, very little chance of surviving.

i go along with that, our team is very poor compaired to the rest of the league and we need to bring some players in.

Seaside Wizard

Jun 19, 2004
Brighton
Man for man Greece were not the strongest team in the Euro champs, but look what they achieved. Shame you don't get points for team spirit. We will click and start putting some decent results together though. Shame we haven't got a descent stadium where we could have 20K Albion fans acting as the 12th man on the pitch.

When we do get Falmer I hope the negative attitude and barracking of OUR team by "fans" is left at the Stadium of Shite!

:angry:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think we will need another striker at some point this season. Probably on loan.

But McGhee's been a pretty good judge of what's needed so far.... so my belief we'll stay up is based on my feeling that he will make the right decisions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:
Ity is ironic but I do not think that Plymouth have yet scored a goal from open play themselves yet this season.

Plymouth look to be riding their luck. You won't see a more obvious or clear cut penalty than the one that was turned down for the tackle on Earnshaw on Friday.

Let's see how they cope when the decisions start going against them rather than for them.

skintboy

Jul 12, 2003
Eastborne
I like the way Mark McGhee really gets involved with everything on the pitch,a ball to Molango was slightly ovre hit and some fans moaned at the passer but McGhee ranted at Molango for not controlling it well enough and the way he has a go about some referee decisions in the 1st half is good to see,he really is top man for his players!!

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Totally agree with Tooting. What would people of said if we hadn't equalised against Coventry?
I think that goal shows a real fighting spirit, which is excellent, but I do think you need a bit more.
Maybe all the players will raise their game and we get a couple of loan signings in, but to be honest I can't see 3 worse sides.
I really really really hope I'm proved wrong.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
This all sounds different from last week!!! We're stayin up now!

:shootself

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
only thing is this time 2 years ago we had 4 points.

its gonna be a long hard season but im sure we can survive. the only other problem aswell is that i think this league is stronger than last time. even if we are better than then.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here