Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Relegation Blame Game

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Paul Barber. Or Dan Ashworth. Possibly both.

Or Maty Ryan (unless we miss out by 1 point - in which case it's Spanish Bob's fault). Or our strike force. Or midfielders not getting enough goals. Or defenders not defending well enough. Or Graham Potter. Or bad luck. Or too many injuries.

If we go down (and that's far from certain), it'll be because we weren't good enough to stay up. :shrug:

If we go down it'll be the people at the top from coaching team upwards. Very few performances can be levelled at the players. It will be because they are simply not good enough and ultimately it's the manager, his coaching team and the 1s that bought them in. Whether blame lies more with Potter and his continued line of being happy with the squad he has I don't know. Would another manager be banging on his bosses door demanding 1 or 2 better strikers? I think should we go down there will be a bit of a clear out not only players but some at the top as well.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
All of those involved in budget setting and recruitment. How much blame is impossible to allocate without a lot of facts we'll never get.

This is not a perfect science and regardless of the outcome we have been competitive all season which marks it out from most of our relegation seasons. I'd go with exactly the same set up if we go down as it feels like its on the right road to me. I think we'd piss the Championship with this squad or close to it.

If we stay up we need to bite the bullet and sign some goals. There is no point in having 6 good PL defenders if we cannot score. Recruitment overall is decent but the holes in the team have not been addressed properly..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Does anyone or anything have to be to blame?

Personally I don't think we will go down this season but for a club of our size and budget, relegation will happen at some point.

Why is there always a need in this country to find someone to blame for everything that doesn't go quite to plan?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The bloody daft Collar.

You could be onto something there.

(Having said that, the 'all blue' shirt has grown on me as a concept, but I still don't like the cheap-looking execution of it, with the silly flappy collar and the random yellow stripe up the side. I guess the shirt design will change for next season obvs - but I wonder if we will stick with solid blue?)

Based on the reaction the old red away shirt got on here recently, a red away shirt would be good.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I blame Thatcher. I always do. It just saves time. Whatever is wrong with today's world, there will be some way of tracing it back to her.

Agree. If the players had enjoyed free school milk we would be top 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm taking the Peter May route and blaming astrological forces.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Exactly.

Most teams outside the top 6 have been relegated from the PL. it’s arrogant to assume it shouldn’t be our turn at some point.

And let’s face it, we’ve flirted with relegation every season we’ve been here.

This and this.

3 teams go down every season and, having spent only 8 seasons in the top division throughout our history, we'd have to be seriously deluded to think it couldn't happen to us. I remain optimistic, but the possibility of going down is part of the deal when you support all but a handful of teams - then you call radio phone ins and post embarrassing rants on-line when you look like missing out on a Champions League spot.

Last few games luck has been against us big time, but much to enjoy in the way we are playing and we'll be there supporting our team (Covid permitting) next season whatever division we are in.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
If we do go down, will there be a fire sale of players, as the OP has mentioned a few in previous relegations? Just curious what people think. Otherwise, we should have stuck to the stripes.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would have thought there will be a few go, like wellbeck , Izzy and Lallana, I think Veltman, Bis and Lamptey will go

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I think it's an accumulation of a number of factors. Nearly all of what you mention, then throw in a bit of bad luck and officiating. More things to blame than I have fingers to point with so ateotd, if we are in the drop zone, c'est la vie.

"That's football. That's life".

Couldn't agree more. I love us being in the Prem but if we go down then so be it. I've seen far worse over the years.

It would be disappointing but next season would be a new fresh challenge which I'm sure we'd all be ready to support to try to get back up.

As said, it's always a multitude of factors from recruitment, luck, poor team selections, injuries, VAR calls, and the main one of not really every having a really prolific striker .

If you flip the situation, I think actually we've done really well to stay for 4 years without a striker of real note in all that time (although Murray surprised me for the first 2 seasons).

As long as we review and learn from mistakes made this season then I still think the future is positive. (And there is still plenty to play for now - we are not down yet).

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Couldn't agree more. I love us being in the Prem but if we go down then so be it. I've seen far worse over the years.

It would be disappointing but next season would be a new fresh challenge which I'm sure we'd all be ready to support to try to get back up.

As said, it's always a multitude of factors from recruitment, luck, poor team selections, injuries, VAR calls, and the main one of not really every having a really prolific striker .

If you flip the situation, I think actually we've done really well to stay for 4 years without a striker of real note in all that time (although Murray surprised me for the first 2 seasons).

As long as we review and learn from mistakes made this season then I still think the future is positive. (And there is still plenty to play for now - we are not down yet).

Please don't start sucking air through your teeth...:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here