Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Relegation Blame Game

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we do go down, will there be a fire sale of players, as the OP has mentioned a few in previous relegations? Just curious what people think. Otherwise, we should have stuck to the stripes.

The current shirt was called as a schoolboy error as soon as it was announced.

I think we’d lose Biss, Webster, White and MacAllister. Lallana may have a release clause, Welbeck will be gone but that’s it imo. Unless Potter or our new manager decides to bin others.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we go down it'll be the people at the top from coaching team upwards. Very few performances can be levelled at the players. It will be because they are simply not good enough and ultimately it's the manager, his coaching team and the 1s that bought them in. Whether blame lies more with Potter and his continued line of being happy with the squad he has I don't know. Would another manager be banging on his bosses door demanding 1 or 2 better strikers? I think should we go down there will be a bit of a clear out not only players but some at the top as well.

Potter and his coaches didn’t bring in the players.

The club’s system is known - a transfer quintet of Ashworth, Winstanley, Bloom and Barber (as the latter two will determine contracts, budgets and limitations on fees/wages/agents fees), plus Potter.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Recruitment for me. Some poor signings throughout and we've never solved the striker problem.

Feckin Dutch league signings, does my head in.........

I'd have to go with the manager thereafter, though he is a victim of the above. However, I wouldn't sack GP immediately........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Recruitment for me. Some poor signings throughout and we've never solved the striker problem.

Feckin Dutch league signings, does my head in.........

I'd have to go with the manager thereafter, though he is a victim of the above. However, I wouldn't sack GP immediately........

I will probably be held up to ridicule but unless Potter wants to stay I think a PL team would come in for him. He has done enough here to be worth a gamble for an ambitious mid to lower PL team imo.

Just NOT Palace please, I couldn’t take that :down:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I will probably be held up to ridicule but unless Potter wants to stay I think a PL team would come in for him. He has done enough here to be worth a gamble for an ambitious mid to lower PL team imo.

Just NOT Palace please, I couldn’t take that :down:

I think you're right, and he is a good progressive manager. However, if the worst happened he'd have a relegation on his CV, and potentially one home win, which actually even now is very poor.

It is such a fine line (or decent striker), from being top 10 team though......

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH the answer is most people associated with the club will have to take on some of the blame for something to do with it. Players, manager, owner, coaches, recruitment. All will have had a part to play.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Signing Glenn Murray in his mid 30s and failing to adequately replace him ever since. Not complaining about the $$$ spent, or the action taken to clearly sign a striker, we have. Andone, Locadia, Maupay, pushing Connolly, Zeqiri, Welbeck. It's just they have all been not quite good enough to outright shite. Our recruitment team takes a huge part of the blame for relegation, because their strategy has failed. They provided CH players he couldn't use, and they provided GP players that aren't PL quality in the areas that matter. Pep couldn't get this team scoring freely, IMO.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Maupay being our only striker and signing an injury prone striker not exactly known for being prolific in Welbeck to solve our scoring problems.

That being said I don’t blame anyone specifically for that, I guess in a roundabout way it’s COVID as I’m sure if covid hadn’t happened we’d have invested in a top striker last summer.

D

Deleted member 2719

Lady luck with the woodwork.

Just imagine if just 5 of those were goals, how many extra points would we be on now?

Hammers could be top!

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2021-03-12-19-48-34.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2021-03-12-19-48-34.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 34

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It seems, so far at least, that after 2 seasons Potter is no more effective than Hughton. Then you look at the quality of the players and perhaps he is less effective, but not by much, so I wouldn’t blame him. Recruitment? Mixed bag, but I would argue they have delivered stronger squad depth and marginally a more talented first team, although missing one or two, so on balance neutral. If we go down? Perhaps inevitable at some point soon anyway as we seek to go stronger, so perhaps no one :shrug: won’t stop me venting my spleen if happens though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here