Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Release Clauses and Buy Outs

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I started a discussion on this on the Mac Allister firsts thread but realised the discussion took the thread well off topic, so I’m moving my later posts to here - Release Clauses and Buy Outs are quite recent issues in English PL contracts and not a subject I (and I assume many others) know a lot about - so I thought a discussion would be interesting? Helpful What do they mean? Who do they really benefit? Should Brighton use them? Are they already? And would we know if they were?

So many questions 🤷‍♂️

I’ve included a quote by Swansman (hope you dont mind? But there are difficulties with definitions of the terms with various sources too, using the two types of clauses interchangeably- in truth, a contract could have both a unilateral ‘buy out’ option for the player and a ‘release clause’ but the ‘release clause’ is the one we would be looking at in terms of discussing run of the mill club to club transfers.
Release clauses is something players want to written in to their contracts. Not clubs, but clubs might agree to it if e.g. the contract is running out in the not too distant future (which was the case with Alexis) to convince them to extend their contract…..The player wants it to be as low as possible, the club wants it to be as high as possible. This is (sic. are) the same sort of clause that exist(s) in Spanish contracts (though it is mandatory there due to employment laws).

According to the sources I quoted above, it is ‘buy out’ clauses that are mandatory in Spanish contracts (under article 13 of the FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players) and that ‘allow for football contracts to be terminated unilaterally by the player in exchange for a compensation amount which is agreed in the contract’ - They are usually set at a higher amount than the market value - see my post #30 above and in the link below - although, admittedly, on the surface, arguing distinctions between ‘buy outs’ and ‘release clauses’ looks like semantics but a narrow definition of a ‘release clause’ is slightly different from the Spanish model I think based on the reading:

“Buy-out clauses are prevalent in Spain and are somewhat different to a release clause. They are a mandatory element of most Spanish contracts and are usually set at a very high figure which is not necessarily the true market value of the player. The player has to literally ‘buy out’ his contract at the stipulated amount, though in practice, it is the purchasing club who pays the amount via the player. This can be a complicated process because of the practical tax logistics of a purchasing club transferring the ‘buy-out’ fee to the player who will in turn buy out his contract. We saw this with Manchester United’s reported failed bid with Anders Herrera and Javi Martinez’s successful transfer to Bayern Munich.”

www.williamfry.com

"Buy-Out" and "Free Transfer" Clauses in Soccer Contracts– a "Messi" Affair

www.williamfry.com
www.williamfry.com

I don’t claim to understand half of how the transfer market works nor the murky world of football contracts and my opinions are somewhat uninformed. FWIIW though, I think perhaps release clauses (ie as distinct from unilateral ‘buy out’ clauses) should be considered de rigueur in players contracts for clubs ‘like Brighton’ in the light of the Bosman ruling and vis a vis the current development stage of the club - (perhaps even more so, if we sign a talented and elusive young striker). With our impact signing and sell on financial model we will (are now, more often than not) be signing young ’undiscovered‘ foreign talent with our players becoming increasingly attractive to wealthier clubs. We are also developing high calibre academy players that (partly due to the success of our scouting networks) will struggle to find room in an increasingly talented first eleven and we can’t just sit on them - loans and other transfer modalities are therefore likely to factor more and more often as the squad gets younger so there might also be a role for release clauses in firming up loan contracts whilst also helping to mitigate the financial risk where new signings can’t get up to PL standard or Academy/PL2 players refuse to go out on loan, trying instead, sometimes inappropriately, to hold out for a first team place.

As far as permanent contracts, there is no reason why imo, release clauses in principle can’t be mutually beneficial for all parties - providing the value of the release clause is not prohibitive (ie effectively pricing the player out of the market) or so low as to invite the world and his wife to trigger a feeding frenzy - It guarantees a player gets to talk to any club once the minimum release figure stipulated in the contract is offered (therefore not restricting his opportunity to move on if and when the ‘big 6/7’ start transfer swooping). A release clause also helps the registered club in the meantime, sustain higher transfer values because it provides a bargaining chip to extend the player’s contract. Without the carrot of a release clause, there is greater chance a player who wants to bugger off and play for a Champions League club for example, may be tempted to run down his contract to ‘pressurise’ transfer out of the Club with the added personal advantage of near-end contracts being translated onto a more lucrative wage deals with an offering club than they may have had otherwise offered. There may be a big chunk of logic I’m missing from all the above of course.

So are they a ‘good thing’?!

Does anyone actually care ?😂

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Children are often bored with things they don’t understand - that’s why children’s books have pictures in them.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Release Clause means can have stipulations like 'Only teams currently in the Champions League can buy him for 60M' as opposed to buy out where because it's the player he can do it in partnership with literally any club or no club at all. I think it also let's the clause amount change subject to clearly defined factors however that's much, much rarer. Either ticking down as years tick off the contract or increasing in amount if promotion to the Prem happened, etc. It's apparently ilegal to say any club except Man U or any foreign club? So real minefield that doesn't make much sense.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Release clauses can also be a way of attracting the player. Especially to a club like ours who may not get a player otherwise if they feel like they will be trapped.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wonder if Bissouma would have signed a new contract if we'd offered a release clause? Pure guess-work of course - perhaps we did, and he still wasn't interested.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if a release clause was needed as a sweetener for Mac to sign a new deal (maybe we learned a lesson frm not offering Bissouma one - assuming we didn't, of course!)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder if Bissouma would have signed a new contract if we'd offered a release clause? Pure guess-work of course - perhaps we did, and he still wasn't interested.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if a release clause was needed as a sweetener for Mac to sign a new deal (maybe we learned a lesson frm not offering Bissouma one - assuming we didn't, of course!)
That is the example I use. Pretty much identical situations, possibly similar wages (although Mac perhaps a bit lower?) - Biss never seemingly entertained a contract, Mac has done.

Personally I’d be in Macs camp, I’d rather have 6-18 months of increased wages and knowing you’ll get the get the big move eventually anyway. And perhaps that’s the difference this time if a release clause or ‘European football’ type clause has been agreed

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Release Clause means can have stipulations like 'Only teams currently in the Champions League can buy him for 60M' as opposed to buy out where because it's the player he can do it in partnership with literally any club or no club at all. I think it also let's the clause amount change subject to clearly defined factors however that's much, much rarer. Either ticking down as years tick off the contract or increasing in amount if promotion to the Prem happened, etc. It's apparently ilegal to say any club except Man U or any foreign club? So real minefield that doesn't make much sense.
Don't really need those stipulations - the player still has to agree to go. So if, say, Bournemouth's new rich owners try to trigger Mac's (purely speculative) £60M release clause, Mac can simply turn round and tell them to **** off.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
An example is Demba Ba who supposedly had a dodgy knee, so West Ham negotiated a clause that if that knee broke down, they could terminate his contract, but in return Ba said that he would have to have a release clause on a free if they were relegated. They were relegated and he joined Newcastle on a free BUT Newcastle only offered a salary based on appearances so in return he said he wanted a £7m release clause - hence he went to Chelsea after scoring a hatful of goals and Newcastle could do nothing about it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can’t really say whether they are a ‘good’ or ‘bad’ thing as will depend on circumstances…..for example, it’s a good thing Cucurella didn’t have a £35m release clause, otherwise he would have gone to City for that amount. It would have been a good thing if Bissouma had a £50m release clause however :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely whether it's a buy out clause or a release clause, the player would benefit more by not having one. We've seen in Spain that they have placed ridiculous release clauses on top players which inflate the market for everyone else. As a player, if things aren't working out then unless a club or you pay the clause, you are stuck. Surely not having the clauses makes it easier to move.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Surely whether it's a buy out clause or a release clause, the player would benefit more by not having one. We've seen in Spain that they have placed ridiculous release clauses on top players which inflate the market for everyone else. As a player, if things aren't working out then unless a club or you pay the clause, you are stuck. Surely not having the clauses makes it easier to move.
Having a release (or buy out) clause does not prohibit the team (and the player) from accepting a lower offer. Or releasing a player on a free (although the terms of the contract will likely require compensation to the player for the remaining contract). So no, you aren't stuck.

The ridiculous clauses on top players in Spain (I think I read that somebody had theirs set a 1 billion Euros) is just a work around Spanish labor laws. Nobody expects anybody to pay a billion Euros for a player. It's effectively the same as having no release clause. The club (and likely the player) would likely accept a transfer bid for considerably less. It is obeying the letter of the law, but not the spirit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here