Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Reintroducing the death penalty

Would you be in favour of reintroducing the death penalty in the UK?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We're not talking across the board

but for the most abhorrent of crimes

Yorkshire Ripper
Moors Murderders
Ian Huntley

Add the likes of Whiting and Bishop to that lot and it starts to be a bit tempting ................... BUT ..................!

(NB. For anybody who may be misunderstanding, the operative word there is the 'but'.)

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
We're not talking across the board

but for the most abhorrent of crimes

Yorkshire Ripper
Moors Murderders
Ian Huntley

Sutcliffe and Huntley had (and are still having in Huntley’s case) a torrid time inside. Don’t think I’ve read about the Moore Murderers but I doubt they would have had a better time. Sutcliffe got a glass jar in the face and was blinded in one eye an injured in the other with a pen. Huntley we seem to read about getting slashed or badly assaulted on a fairly regular basis - which is always a nice ‘pick me up’ on a depressing day.

Bottom line is being a name like that in prison for life paints a target on their back. The constant stress of knowing they could be brutally carved up or killed is a great punishment in my eyes. You would like to think the screws help or at least let it happen as well. To execute them is too lenient.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Sutcliffe and Huntley had (and are still having in Huntley’s case) a torrid time inside. Don’t think I’ve read about the Moore Murderers but I doubt they would have had a better time. Sutcliffe got a glass jar in the face and was blinded in one eye an injured in the other with a pen. Huntley we seem to read about getting slashed or badly assaulted on a fairly regular basis - which is always a nice ‘pick me up’ on a depressing day.

Bottom line is being a name like that in prison for life paints a target on their back. The constant stress of knowing they could be brutally carved up or killed is a great punishment in my eyes. You would like to think the screws help or at least let it happen as well. To execute them is too lenient.

with all due respect

that doesn't compare to knowing your going to the chair

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fact that you swing every single political conversation round to immigration is probably the reason people think you’re a racist.
If someone disagrees with the death penalty, it isn’t virtue signalling. It’s just not being a moron.
By the way, if anyone is screaming at you, you should call the police.

:lolol:

The most dangerous people are those who sound reasonable most of the time, and let the mask slip only occasionally. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice... go back on ignore. :shrug:

Edit, I had long ago recognised JCFG as a 'blue rosette on a pig? I'd vote for that' man, and that's.....OK, ish...

Didn't have him down as a pro-state-murder man. I though that was just for the Express reading frothers. Oh well.

Last edited:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Shipman & West took the easy way out. It’s awful that they were allowed to do this instead of rotting away in jail with the occasional kicking and long stints of solitary confinement alone with only their crimes to torture them.

I’m happy to pay for that as a tax payer and can’t understand how some wish the easy way out for folk like Huntley.

I don't like the taxpayer paying millions to keep such ***** in relative solitary comfort in jail. Once all the details of the crime are cleared up, leave plenty of rope and opportunities for them to use it imo. Would much rather taxpayers money is put towards rehab of prisoners who will come out and for more positive causes not wasted on those who will never, quite rightly, be released. Maybe offer euthanasia to them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Difficult one, part of me thinks there is a case for it, the likes of Brady, Suttcliffe, Hindley, Huntley, Bishop, Whiting and the murderers of Lee Rigby could and should have been executed and wouldn’t have attracted any real negative public reaction.

But what happens when a mistake is made, and by that I mean dishonest coppers?

Just off the top of my head I can think of the Guildford 4, Birmingham 6 and the Carl Bridgewater gang who were all convicted of murder but later released on appeal ,after years of campaigning.

Two of these were terrorist offences the other a child murder, yet everyone convicted was innocent, but we’d have potentially hung 13 people then later admitted the mistake.

The government can’t put it to the vote, because it would be returned with a large majority and then we would be perceived as barbaric in the wider modern world.

Very well put. :bowdown:

I'd add that there is a militant element (which must include a large proportion of pro-hangers) who aren't bothered about innocent people being murdered by the state since they see this as a fair price to pay for hanging the guilty. And I remember back in the day when it became clear the Irish 'terrorists' were innocent; on many occasions I heard people say 'yeah but they are all paddies - they'd have done the bombing if they had had the chance and weren't so thick, and anyway there's no smoke without fire'. Shameful stuff.

Accidentally hanging a few innocents is not entirely different from 'collateral damage' in warfare, where the greater good is deemed the end that justifies the means. Except the law isn't warfare.

In law, killing in self defence (when there is no alternative) will lead to an acquital (if you're lucky). And in war, most murder is justifiable - although I draw the line at shooting prisoners, even mad jihadi ones. The analogy doesn't work.

So, the state (i.e., you and I) employing someone to go to a prisoner's cell, take him or her out, and deliberately kill them is simply wrong. No ifs, no buts.

I'd also add that genuine 'sane' jihadist murderers would welcome execution, so the death penalty is neither preventive nor retributive in their case; if one seeks revenge then a lifetime behind bars is the best option (although I'd add, with some proper mental health assessment, treatment if appropriate but, if found sane and beyond redemption, without the comfy cell and full access to the internet, and freedom to pray five times a day, ffs).

Of couse, since they apparently welcome death, and in the present prison system are allowed too much freedom to pray, etc, we could torture the Jihadist murderers a bit for purposes of revenge . . . . .(I can imagine those pro-hangers who voted on this thread thinking, if the read this, 'yes, that sounds like a plan' :facepalm:). For the hard of thinking, I am not advocating torturing prisoners. Best I say it before I start getting fan mail from Das Reich.

I'm heartened that a big majority who have voted on his thread have some sense. But, as you say, offer the nation a referendum on it and it would probably get big majority. Referenda are the true last refuge of political scoundrels - those who are unfit to lead.

Happy New Year, Harty :thumbsup:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
so,to clarify

someone comepletely unaffected by this case

is prepared to pay a few quid

makes it ok

Nothing makes it ok. I suspect a lethal injection wouldn't be enough for many, just how medieval and barbaric would you like the state to get with Ian Huntley for instance?

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Nothing makes it ok. I suspect a lethal injection wouldn't be enough for many, just how medieval and barbaric would you like the state to get with Ian Huntley for instance?

no fanfare

whatsoever

the complete opposite

not warrant of news

for me it's about justice for those directly effected by such horrendous crimes

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
no fanfare

whatsoever

the complete opposite

not warrant of news

for me it's about justice for those directly effected by such horrendous crimes

What if the girl’s parents did not want Huntley killed? Or is it only about what you want?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This is why nobody has any respect for you on here. You condemn immigration and all the usual unfounded bluster that comes with that kind of mind-set, accuse other posters of all kinds of wokism and virtue signalling. And then when someone points it out and calls it what it is, you deny it, accuse them of misunderstanding and/or claim they are lying. You haven’t even got the backbone to defend your position. Pitiful.
I genuinely feel sorry for your type. The Tories are eating you for breakfast.

The classic racist old loudmouth. Seen it all before, pal.

The voice of NSC speaks! :lolol: Try not to take yourself too seriously Clampy the fact is you did lie when you said I turn every topic onto immigration.

As ever, you are never happier than making absurd claims on a thread, derailing it, then making it all about you ... soooo neeeedy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The voice of NSC speaks! :lolol: Try not to take yourself too seriously Clampy the fact is you did lie when you said I turn every topic onto immigration.

As ever, you are never happier than making absurd claims on a thread, derailing it, then making it all about you ... soooo neeeedy.

You’re an utter fool. With a reputation to suit.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Tricky one.
I am all for letting the punishment suit the crime, but there would have to be not a shred of doubt whatsoever.
Cheaper to get rid than let the tax payer afford them a life of some comfort if not freedom.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Tricky one.
I am all for letting the punishment suit the crime, but there would have to be not a shred of doubt whatsoever.
Cheaper to get rid than let the tax payer afford them a life of some comfort if not freedom.
But then you're creating tiers of guilt. If I was doing life but was not deemed to be proven guilty enough for the death penalty, then I'd question how I'm guilty enough to be in prison.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
But then you're creating tiers of guilt. If I was doing life but was not deemed to be proven guilty enough for the death penalty, then I'd question how I'm guilty enough to be in prison.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

If there was reasonable doubt then you wouldn't be there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here