Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reginald D Hunter

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'd be interested to see what he actually said that has gone down so badly. It's not as if he would have been telling 70's style racist jokes is it?! If simply using the 'N' word (which he is very well known for doing) was deemed too risqué, then how on Earth was he ever booked?

I find him very funny - he's on at the Dome on the 8th June, then again 23rd Nov if anyone's interested

Saw him at the Dome last year...good act.

Does amuse me Carlisle and Taylor moaning...they represent a body of people some of who on Saturday afternoons adopt a win at all costs mentality..kicking an opposition player...con the referee etc...don't see them saying much about those issues ....I take it they were all adults present?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Evidently the terms personal experience, culture & context mean absolutely naff-all to you then. Well there's a surprise... :rolleyes:

The terms 'personal experience' 'culture' and 'context' all mean something to me. Would you care to eleborate on what you mean please? I found your post somewhat cryptic to be honest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh the irony of it all is so funny!!! The FA and their absolute paranoia about the barely non existent 'racism' that exists in english football and they go and hire this guy!!! Would love to have been a fly on the wall at the FA this morning!!! No doubt there will be lengthy 'enquiries' and 'reports' and new sets of 'guidelines' issued after last night.

What a completely over the top reaction to it all, to hear Gordon Taylor and Clark Carlisle speaking you would've thought someone had died last night at the awards. Imagine the meltdown if was a white guy who did that routine last night? Guaranteed criminal prosecution!!!

Out of interest, what has it got to do with the FA?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Someone nice and uncontroversial like Russell "did you see this" Howard would've been perfect for this gig.

The quality of his show really has been slipping recently, yelling about flicking the bean has to be done properly to be funny and he's just lost it I'm afraid (I watched that episode with my mother by the way, I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy crippling awkwardness)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
The terms 'personal experience' 'culture' and 'context' all mean something to me. Would you care to eleborate on what you mean please? I found your post somewhat cryptic to be honest.

It's not cryptic in the least. Unfortunately, I haven't got the hours to spare now - which I might well require to provide a comprehensive explanation of my ripost - as I'm off to bed in a minute. Perhaps you could spend a while deconstructing your earlier critique & play around with the concepts of personal experience, culture & context: & see how you might differ from RDH? I'll certainly be back later in the week to see if you have any new thoughts on the matter (& I'm pretty sure this thread will run & run). Besides, there's nowt like mentioning the so-called comedic use of The 'N' Word to get the lil' Englanders of NSC to wax lyrical about how much better society was when Mssrs Manning & Davidson were the self-appointed Kings of Gagdom.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Almost? Bearing in mind I've known smaller organisations pay five figure sums, I'd have though it would be closer to six!

Who chooses? Is it the players themselves, or suits from the FA?

Not the players. Shudder to think who they'd pick!

FA -> Events organiser -> Corporate booker -> Agency -> Comedian.

It's not quite 5 figures by the time it gets to us, though it's easily 5 to start with. That said the standard corporate fee I know (for a certain well known comedian already mentioned in this thread) is around the £35K mark so it'd only be nudging up to 6 figures for someone who was fronting an ad campaign or selling image rights/ endorsements along with the appearance.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm not denying him his right to say it. Just saying I find it very hard to believe that anyone would not expect backlash from using that word at the PFA awards after what's happened the past couple of years.

What do you mean "what's happened in the last couple of years"?

I'll reiterate my point - this bloke grew up in a state where race is a massive issue, Id imagine to him the ferdinand, terry and suarez incidents seemed utterly trivial.
He's probaby pissing himself laughing at the moment, watching everyone getting themselves worked up about his act, it certainly won't harm hjis career.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
What do you mean "what's happened in the last couple of years"?

I'll reiterate my point - this bloke grew up in a state where race is a massive issue, Id imagine to him the ferdinand, terry and suarez incidents seemed utterly trivial.
He's probaby pissing himself laughing at the moment, watching everyone getting themselves worked up about his act, it certainly won't harm hjis career.

Got to agree with this. Its only a few years ago that a black guy was chained to the back of a truck and dragged along the road until his head came off. PFA are getting worked up about f all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bugger, I had invited Clark Carlisle around for tea, and was planning to watch Django Unchained on DVD with him afterwards, but might have to change the film now. :rant:

*HowAboutBlazingSaddles*

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
It's not cryptic in the least. Unfortunately, I haven't got the hours to spare now - which I might well require to provide a comprehensive explanation of my ripost - as I'm off to bed in a minute. Perhaps you could spend a while deconstructing your earlier critique & play around with the concepts of personal experience, culture & context: & see how you might differ from RDH? I'll certainly be back later in the week to see if you have any new thoughts on the matter (& I'm pretty sure this thread will run & run). Besides, there's nowt like mentioning the so-called comedic use of The 'N' Word to get the lil' Englanders of NSC to wax lyrical about how much better society was when Mssrs Manning & Davidson were the self-appointed Kings of Gagdom.

I'm confused as i made no mention of Mssrs Manning & Davidson in my previous posts? But if you dare stray from the 'trendy left' line you get labelled as a 'little englander.' I also made no reference to the 'N' word either. My post referred to the 'irony' of the situation and the completely over the top reaction to it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It made me laugh. Clark Carlisle must have lost all bowel and bladder control when Reg started his act.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I'm confused as i made no mention of Mssrs Manning & Davidson in my previous posts? But if you dare stray from the 'trendy left' line you get labelled as a 'little englander.' I also made no reference to the 'N' word either. My post referred to the 'irony' of the situation and the completely over the top reaction to it.

Oh my good Gawd. :facepalm:

How deep 'you planning on digging that hole? To be fair though, you're certainly bang into this 'irony' thing. It's just a shame you'll never really understand it. Oh well.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
To be compared with Lenny Henry is gravely insulting on many levels.

Indeed. Lenny Henry would without any shadow of a doubt be on my "How the **** did they get their job" list, along with Ed Balls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here