Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Refereeing

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I still find it incredible that ref's in the professional football leagues rarely send players off if the players start screaming obscenities at them , this and blatant diving should result in straight reds no messing about no yellows , off you trot son , the diving would stop in the premier league overnight with VAR starting up next season .

Obviously Brighton Hospitals v Leafers in Div 12 of the Sussex Sunday league hasn't the use of VAR but no reason not to send these gobby players off who think it's perfectly fine screaming and swearing at refs .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I could never have been a ref. Some of the parents at my sons games years ago would have wound me up far too much and that was U13.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Obviously having little understanding of 'being' a ref so far, but doesn't taking a more authoritarian line when reffing (and by that I mean keeping to the letter of the law) help teach them or keep them in line? I'm aware this may be incredibly naive of me, but I'm just getting an idea of what to expect should I progress.

I’m not sure authoritarian is the way to go. I’ve played football at a crap level for a long time with awful referees, and the authoritarian ones are usually the worst. The ones that don’t let you speak to them about a decision, or get annoyed with the players and start having a go back.

Refs are always going to make mistakes, especially at that level, and the ones with a bit more humility who you can actually have a conversation with and will make a joke and a smile are by far the best. Refs are only human, and if they come across as human, rather than as some authoritarian robot, then people tend to make allowances for the inevitable mistakes they make.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I’m not sure authoritarian is the way to go. I’ve played football at a crap level for a long time with awful referees, and the authoritarian ones are usually the worst. The ones that don’t let you speak to them about a decision, or get annoyed with the players and start having a go back.

Refs are always going to make mistakes, especially at that level, and the ones with a bit more humility who you can actually have a conversation with and will make a joke and a smile are by far the best. Refs are only human, and if they come across as human, rather than as some authoritarian robot, then people tend to make allowances for the inevitable mistakes they make.

Totally correct. I am a qualified rugby referee and if you engage with the players it always works best. Of course it's not an exact science and different games/players react in different ways. The best bit of advise I have received from a senior ref was to say 'you don't deserve a better ref than me' that is normally enough to raise a smile or at least make the player think about their own ability/behaviour

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did it a few years ago, kids football not for me as the parents were too much.

Adult football was better but you are pretty isolated and many took it far too seriously. For £30 for 4 hours in the middle of a Saturday and the stress it bought I couldn’t be bothered to carry on.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Like many others, I started reffing when my son started playing football and after a few weeks realised that I needed to do a proper course. The course is straightforward and was good fun. I still referee despite my son no longer playing - usuallyyouth football - and mostly really enjoy it. I have a good reason to keep fit, I feel that I am contributing positively to the community and I get to bore people with my knowledge of the laws (not rules). Yes, the parents can be a nightmare but as you gain experience you learn to deal with them and the gobbier kids quite easily.

One side effect is that you do find yourself shouting at the tele or the radio correcting the woeful ignorance of so many commentators and pundits (particularly Alan Green).

Give it a go - apply through the link up the page to the Sussex FA.

This site is quite useful as well: https://www.refchat.co.uk/

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Obviously having little understanding of 'being' a ref so far, but doesn't taking a more authoritarian line when reffing (and by that I mean keeping to the letter of the law) help teach them or keep them in line? I'm aware this may be incredibly naive of me, but I'm just getting an idea of what to expect should I progress.

Agree entirely. Apply the laws of the game consistently and whether it's in the first minute or the last. Explain your decisions to players but if they get abusive, red card. The game would improve tremendously if all refs took that approach, starting with the muppets that get in excess of £50k a year to ref the EPL!!!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

I actually agree with you - when I was speaking about being authoritarian, it was meant more (for example) actually carding someone for dissent, rather than the player thinking they can get away with it as its only amateur football...or for as it can now be know, 'doing a Bamford'. I've always preferred an approach where there's mutual respect between players and officials, but i'm also aware that there is a line and it shouldn't be crossed, regardless of the level.

Like many others, I started reffing when my son started playing football and after a few weeks realised that I needed to do a proper course. The course is straightforward and was good fun. I still referee despite my son no longer playing - usuallyyouth football - and mostly really enjoy it. I have a good reason to keep fit, I feel that I am contributing positively to the community and I get to bore people with my knowledge of the laws (not rules). Yes, the parents can be a nightmare but as you gain experience you learn to deal with them and the gobbier kids quite easily.

One side effect is that you do find yourself shouting at the tele or the radio correcting the woeful ignorance of so many commentators and pundits (particularly Alan Green).

Give it a go - apply through the link up the page to the Sussex FA.

This site is quite useful as well: https://www.refchat.co.uk/

That's a handy link, thanks! I've sent my email off to the Sussex FA, so now i'll just wait and attend the relevant courses.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I qualified as a ref too long ago for it to be of much relevance today.

However, one of the many issues you will face is that refs in the professional game do not apply the laws as they are written and how you will be taught. The expectation will be that you should referee the amateur game the way the refs in the professional game do ie by allowing players to get away with just about anything. Kids in particular will follow the bad examples set by the pros and expect to get away with it.

Add in the over-bearing parents of entitled kids, the lack of support from the local FA, and unqualified and cheating club linespersons.................

.............I wish you the very best of luck

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Let it go for a corner just before FT; and then blow your whistle whilst the ball is being crossed into the box for a near certain goal!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I qualified as a ref too long ago for it to be of much relevance today.

However, one of the many issues you will face is that refs in the professional game do not apply the laws as they are written and how you will be taught. The expectation will be that you should referee the amateur game the way the refs in the professional game do ie by allowing players to get away with just about anything. Kids in particular will follow the bad examples set by the pros and expect to get away with it.

Add in the over-bearing parents of entitled kids, the lack of support from the local FA, and unqualified and cheating club linespersons.................

.............I wish you the very best of luck

Are you allowed to send off entitled parents? Ask them to leave? And if they don't, can you stop the game i.e. apply peer pressure? That for me would be the way to stop this nonsense at schoolboy level.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I have had two stints at reffing, first in Sussex when I was about 20 and again in Kent when I was 40.

Felt I was too young at 20 and missed the playing, which I went back to.

I would say, from my experience of both reffing and playing if you go the authoritarian route you have to be 100% consistent. For me the most sensible approach is common sense, talk to the players, let them know exactly why you have given a decision. Don't try and be player's best mates, but don't be aloof and distant. Understand you WILL make mistakes, but don't dwell on it.

It's up to you how you deal with bad language, all I will say is the only time I swear is on a football pitch, but I never directed bad language at the ref - you have to decide what is every day language and what is not acceptable.

Finally, good luck!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've been giving it some thought for a while now, but I'm considering going on the courses to become a referee.

I don't know if any of NSC's great and good have done so, are there any out there and would be able to explain what to expect?

I only do it in kids football mate, kids are wonderful, parents are ar**holes! ;-)

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Qualified as a ref when I was about 18, not really good enough to play and someone else paid for the course!

Really enjoyed my first few years of doing Sunday League. Lower leagues and teams playing generally more for enjoyment and not taking it too seriously, over time and a couple of ref promotions I started getting top end league games, Saturday League, County League reserves and running lines in county league. At this point the enjoyment begun to fade.

Spending all Saturday travelling to godknowswhere for £15 was awful and the abuse from crowds, managers and players wasn't worth it. Then after the game standing in the clubhouse and being totally ignored was a waste of time.

As I had a reputation of being a 'decent' ref I did consistently get the tougher games between physical sides, or two teams that generally didn't like each other, doing those week after week was horrible.

Eventually I managed to injure myself and couldn't ref for about a month, over that time I realised I wasn't actually enjoying it so walked away, still did the odd game for friends which were OK, but haven't picked up a whistle for about 5 years now.

TL;DR - lower divisions are OK, harder if you go up, but can be enjoyable.

As for advice, stick with your decisions, don't dwell on getting something wrong, and don't be afraid of admitting your mistake after the game if anyone asks (within reason!) Try to keep up with play as much as possible, you become an easy target if you are a long way from the incident.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Qualified as a ref when I was about 18, not really good enough to play and someone else paid for the course!

Really enjoyed my first few years of doing Sunday League. Lower leagues and teams playing generally more for enjoyment and not taking it too seriously, over time and a couple of ref promotions I started getting top end league games, Saturday League, County League reserves and running lines in county league. At this point the enjoyment begun to fade.

Spending all Saturday travelling to godknowswhere for £15 was awful and the abuse from crowds, managers and players wasn't worth it. Then after the game standing in the clubhouse and being totally ignored was a waste of time.

As I had a reputation of being a 'decent' ref I did consistently get the tougher games between physical sides, or two teams that generally didn't like each other, doing those week after week was horrible.

Eventually I managed to injure myself and couldn't ref for about a month, over that time I realised I wasn't actually enjoying it so walked away, still did the odd game for friends which were OK, but haven't picked up a whistle for about 5 years now.

TL;DR - lower divisions are OK, harder if you go up, but can be enjoyable.

As for advice, stick with your decisions, don't dwell on getting something wrong, and don't be afraid of admitting your mistake after the game if anyone asks (within reason!) Try to keep up with play as much as possible, you become an easy target if you are a long way from the incident.

Good advice, thanks! I think it's largely a thankless task being a ref as you'll never please both sides but its more the game management that seems a tad daunting, but I also imagine that comes with experience in how to deal with players and people on the sidelines...best to make sure the skin is thick enough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here