Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
When will we get a decent one?

Today Navarro got booked for taking a free kick too quickly, I have never seen this in 25 years of following the Albion. Yet they made 22 fouls against us, at least 10 of which were against Noone but Cov only picked up two bookings. He also missed the two handed shove on Noone in the corner that resulted in his hamstring strain.

Would we have won with a different ref? Probably not, but when the opposition are allowed to neutralise our best attacking threat through foul play what chance do we have?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
So the total accumulation of yellow and red cards this year have been down to poor referreing???????????

If you believe that then you must be f***ing mental. were halfway, im happy so far/hope it improves very soon - our discipline has been woeful this year. Get over it!!

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
I've not been at games such as burnley at home, but surely no ref can be as bad as this one today.

And on the noone injury, why didn't he just fall on the floor and demand a stretcher? Would love to hear his explanation to barn door as to why their player wasn't ask to walk off walk off round the pitch like nooney?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Referees this season have been totally shocking. Today's made no difference to the outcome but his incompetence and lack of consistency was staggering. Thank goodness we have D'Urso on Monday....oh hang on.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So the total accumulation of yellow and red cards this year have been down to poor referreing???????????

If you believe that then you must be f***ing mental. were halfway, im happy so far/hope it improves very soon - our discipline has been woeful this year. Get over it!!

I don't think that's what he's saying at all. Today's referee really was another petty useless wanker I'm afraid to say. Booking Nav for that and then making Noone walk all the way around the pitch rather than the direct route back to the bench with his pulled hamstring. Also, Dunk makes one clumsy challenge and he's straight in the book, whilst they hack down Noone all day long and, for the most part, get away with it. I'm sorry, but today's chant of ...." Shit refs !, we always get shit refs !..." was entirely justified. Although I wouldn't for one minute blame the ref for today's result.

You are quite right though that we can't just blame our poor disciplinary record on shit refs, we have to take the bulk of the responsibility for that ourselves. But I stand by the claim that we have indeed had more than our fair share of shit refs this season.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Referees this season have been totally shocking. Today's made no difference to the outcome but his incompetence and lack of consistency was staggering. Thank goodness we have D'Urso on Monday....oh hang on.

I do agree but it's not quite as clean cut as that. Quite often when players are looking like they're in the shit on the break they'll bring the man down and take a Yellow Card for the team, Navs couldn't do that because of the most rediculous yellow card i've ever seen!

In 20 years supporting the Albion i've never seen a season of so many shit refs!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I seriously think it's about time that the fans and the clubs started a campaign to make refs more accountable.

We are all sick of it. I have never seen so many bad refs as this season (and don't forget we have D'Urso to come on Monday!). Surely they should at least be made to account for the decisions they make? Yet, as Poyet says, club officials have to behave like robots and can't even offer constructive criticism.

To book a player for taking a free-kick too early is ludicrous. Would be interesting to see what the 'offence' actually was in terms of the FA rulebook. Wasn't at the game, but according to the commentary there was a 'professional' foul on Noone when he was deliberately taken out to stop an attack, which didn't even result in a booking.

These guys are completely out of their depth, and the FA must be made to take responsibility. As fans, we pay a great deal of money to go to games - and we hope that a fair match result ensues. It is cheating the fans when we get refs like Pawson who are of such extraordinary incompetance that their mistakes directly affect the result of the game.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

Out of interest, do you think we are a dirty team? I have missed only three games this season so think I have seen most of what has happened and I can't understand the number of bookings we have. Whoever you blame, referees have clearly decided that we are a bad team and come into our games with preconceptions. As was said earlier in this thread, to book Navarro was a joke decision and then to book Dunk when he had let a number of their players get away with similar challenges (probably worst) in their half, especially on Noone, was a disgrace. As someone else said it may not have affected the result but on the other hand Coventry clearly aimed to take Noone out of the game and the referee let them so you could argue they did succeed.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Whilst this adds nothing to the debate about the standard of refs, wasn't one of Tanno's bookings at Woking last season for taking a free kick too early?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
What you don't know is what the refs instruction to Navarro was. If he was told to wait but still took the kick - then the ref is right. Fussy may be but correct.

Maybe but any ref with an ounce of common sense would have just had a quiet word and if hes going to be fussy but correct then numerous cov players should have been booked for proper fouls. Its the lack of consistency amongst refs this season that has been outstanding.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
The answer is simple: NEVER
23,000 un educated home fans or un educated 2,000 away fans will never all agree on the referees decision making,
Why did he book Navrro for taking a quick free kick?
Why did he make Noone walk all the way round the pitch and not the direct route?
Why was the Coventry Sub allowed to take the most direct route?
Why did only 2 Coventry players get booked when conceeded 23 fouls?
Why did Dunk get booked when we only conceeded 8 fouls?
Why did we let McSheffrey run 80 yards without closing him down ?
I could answere them all, but not going to waste my time.

All football fans should go on a referee course, and understand the LAWS of the game, before coming out with comments like "I seriously think it's about time that the fans and the clubs started a campaign to make refs more accountable.

We are all sick of it. I have never seen so many bad refs as this season (and don't forget we have D'Urso to come on Monday!). Surely they should at least be made to account for the decisions they make?"

Referee's are not perfect,Referee's do make mistakes,Referee's are always looking to improve and do the best job, and they are impartial, they dont give a toss who wins, they want to enjoy the game as much as ever one else -
every single manager,coach,physo,player,director,chairman,referee,kit man, supporter, assessor, are never always going to agree on the thousands of decisions havingto be made over 90 minutes, thats what makes the game.

All we can really hope, he get the BIG decisions right, (At Burnley he probably has) and doesnt influence the outcome of the game.

Please do me a favour, visit the Sussex County FA website, enroll on a referee course, even referee 10 x U11 games of football,(kids are OK, beware of no it all parents) for an insight in to refereeing, and the LAWS of the game.

Then we can have a serious conversation , we can get in to the mind of the referee, analysis what we think he did wrong, and we can really see if HE WAS A BAD REFEREE!

chairman

Mar 5, 2009
lostwithiel cornwall
we can only ask for consistency from refs , but it seems thats too much to ask for . \although he was probably correct to book navs as he told the player to wait for his whistle before taking the kick, but then later on making Noone walk off one side of pitch and struggle round outside of pitch and then when there player was in the exact same position allowing him to walk across the pitch to be substituted wasting more time just wasnt consistent. Whilst its easy to blame the ref , we should realise it was the teams overall performance that sent us away from the bottom club with no points. Some how we need to find a partner for CMS and need to create and convert more chances, we are having our fair share of posestion in games without creating chances. At this level we will find ourselves struggling . Lets hope we can get in some new faces and our luck will turn, the players need a boost and we need to get behind them not desert them

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Noone was Injured and off the pitch, when he signalled to the bench to be subbed.
The referee asked Noone to stay off the pitch, so the game could re start.
Instead Noone hobbled around and collapsed on the pitch, hence why the referee wanted to get Noone back off the pitch the quickest route possible.
If Noone followed the referees instructions, and stayed off the pitch the physio would of come around, treated Noone, the game would of restarted with a Goal Kick, and the next time tha ball was out of player Noone's replacement would have come on. No issue.
If we want consistancy Noone could also of been cautioned like Navarro for ignoring the referees instructions.
The Coventry sub was a totally different situation, the player was moving more freely than Noone and at no point was told to stay of the pitch.

we can only ask for consistency from refs , but it seems thats too much to ask for . \although he was probably correct to book navs as he told the player to wait for his whistle before taking the kick, but then later on making Noone walk off one side of pitch and struggle round outside of pitch and then when there player was in the exact same position allowing him to walk across the pitch to be substituted wasting more time just wasnt consistent. Whilst its easy to blame the ref , we should realise it was the teams overall performance that sent us away from the bottom club with no points. Some how we need to find a partner for CMS and need to create and convert more chances, we are having our fair share of posestion in games without creating chances. At this level we will find ourselves struggling . Lets hope we can get in some new faces and our luck will turn, the players need a boost and we need to get behind them not desert them

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Noone was Injured and off the pitch, when he signalled to the bench to be subbed.
The referee asked Noone to stay off the pitch, so the game could re start.
Instead Noone hobbled around and collapsed on the pitch, hence why the referee wanted to get Noone back off the pitch the quickest route possible.
If Noone followed the referees instructions, and stayed off the pitch the physio would of come around, treated Noone, the game would of restarted with a Goal Kick, and the next time tha ball was out of player Noone's replacement would have come on. No issue.
If we want consistancy Noone could also of been cautioned like Navarro for ignoring the referees instructions.
The Coventry sub was a totally different situation, the player was moving more freely than Noone and at no point was told to stay of the pitch.

Ok so you could argue as with Navarro's booking that it was possibly within the laws of the game but to make a player walk longer round the pitch when he is clearly injured shows a lack of common sense, which I thought referees were supposed to show. I can't believe football has become a game where a player gets booked for taking a free kick too quickly yet Coventry can get away with hacking down Noone about five or six times in the first half and only get one booking.

Also, it is not just that game. We have had a run of poor referees and they are not necessarily big decisions but we end up with more bookings than other teams in games where we have not really committed any bad fouls. Also, if you seriously think that the Burnley referee got the big decisions right then I can't believe you saw the game. You could argue about our two sendings off but why wasn't their player sent off for his reaction to Barnes' tackle? Also, we should have had a penalty and there is an argument that their player could have been sent off for the Vincelot incident too. However, apparently my opinion isn't valid as I haven't gone on a referee's course. Which is pretty much like saying people shouldn't be able to vote if they haven't studied politics.

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
I've not been at games such as burnley at home, but surely no ref can be as bad as this one today.

And on the noone injury, why didn't he just fall on the floor and demand a stretcher? Would love to hear his explanation to barn door as to why their player wasn't ask to walk off walk off round the pitch like nooney?

Official reason was that our substitute was ready to come on so by asking Noone to leave the pitch at the closest exit, it would casue the minimum delay to the game.

Whereas there substitute was not ready, so by taking "the long way" off the pitch they had time to get their sub ready and so cause minimum delay to the game. (his watch was stopped at this time to ensure no benefit to the home side)

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Your saying a referee is wrong in the job he is doing with out the proper knowledge.
Like calling out a plumber, and watching over his ever move and criticizing.
Leave them to do the f***ing job they are qualified to do.

RE: Burnley I was not there, I would say the two biggest decisions were reducing us too 9 men after 10 minutes, both of these decisions proven correct.
There is no way the Burnley player reaction to Barnes tackle was a red card,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here