Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Referee yesterday.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Replays showed it was a corner. That was a good decision

Re: The lualua penalty.

He didn't really get it wrong, as such. Yes, it was a foul and he could have given the penalty, but he played the advantage as Lualua stayed on his feet and retained possession, Lualua then played a dangerous ball across the box and none of our players reacted well enough. Play is pulled back to the point of a foul if there is no advantage, not if you squander the advantage you had.

Fair enough, i was on the other side of the pitch.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

He didn't really get it wrong, as such. Yes, it was a foul and he could have given the penalty, but he played the advantage as Lualua stayed on his feet and retained possession, Lualua then played a dangerous ball across the box and none of our players reacted well enough. Play is pulled back to the point of a foul if there is no advantage, not if you squander the advantage you had.

The advantage of the penalty would have been far greater and so he should have given the foul. But more likely he did not consider it a foul because LuaLua did not go down. If he had considered it a foul he would have given the penalty no question.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Sorry Acker, don't agree, play is pulled back if the advantage does not materialise. Yesterday although the cross went in, it was cleared so any advantage was not realised, therefore it could have been pulled back, and had it been in another area of the pitch it probably would have been.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Was it a foul? Texiera pushed the defender who fell into Lua Lua . Ok, he impeded him but completely accidentally. I think there is a lot of clutching at straws in this thread.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Cook should have been sent off for his superb rugby tackle which he would have got man of the match at Twickenham!!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry Acker, don't agree, play is pulled back if the advantage does not materialise. Yesterday although the cross went in, it was cleared so any advantage was not realised, therefore it could have been pulled back, and had it been in another area of the pitch it probably would have been.

The cross wasn't cleared, it bounced around dangerously before it was skied high and wide by Gardner.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Be interested to do a quick straw poll amongst those on here who were born outside of Sussex to see which- if any- declare the slightest affinity with the local team in relation to their birthplace.

Me, I've got something of a soft spot for my "local" Kent non-league team, but wouldn't call myself a fan as such. And would I be biased if, in an imaginary situation, I found myself appointed as the referee for a Gillingham game? No.

Well, at least certainly not in their favour. I might give a few penalties against them by way of gaining small revenge for having to endure the disgusting facilities of the Pissfield for a couple of miserable seasons :thumbsup:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was it a foul? Texiera pushed the defender who fell into Lua Lua . Ok, he impeded him but completely accidentally. I think there is a lot of clutching at straws in this thread.

I didn't see the push, maybe it was a combination of not being sure it was a severe enough foul, Kaz being able to put in a dangerous cross, and us squandering a couple of chances the ensuing scramble created.

If he blew for a penalty and Kaz had taken a shot and scored, people would be going mad, he had to wait to see an advantage. Good cross came in, danger was still there, eventually Gardner squandered the chance. I think that was decent refereeing, while acknowledging he could have instead given a penalty before waiting to see if Kaz could do anything and it would still be decent refereeing,.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

He only pushed the defender because he himself was shoulder charged into him.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Is there a thread every week when the ref has been poor against Brighton? Not fishing at all here you are obviously on a poor run but compare to last season there is not much in it, just see this thread every week but it wont be around when you get form back

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Then the advantage was not realised. Bounced around dangerously cannot be considered the same as a penalty.

No, Lualua being in space is the advantage.

When you play advantage there becomes a certain point when it is too late to fairly pull play back. Lualua had a chance to shoot, instead he set up a chance for two other players who didn't react quickly enough, a scramble to clear it led to the ball falling to Gardner in a good position. That is four goal scoring opportunities we were given, if the ref then pulled it back and gave us a fifth chance with a penalty it wouldn't be fair. The foul wasn't particularly violent or cynical.

I imagine if the ref had known how it would have played out he would have given the penalty rather than the advantage, but once he allowed play to continue until we'd had four good chances to score, he couldn't bring it back.

If a team was mildly fouled by us, play continued and they wasted four opportunities, then the ref pulled it back, we wouldn't be happy. We'd say they had their chances, it's not our fault they wasted their advantage.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is there a thread every week when the ref has been poor against Brighton? Not fishing at all here you are obviously on a poor run but compare to last season there is not much in it, just see this thread every week but it wont be around when you get form back

There is a thread every week that we don't win, regardless of the ref's actual performance, which is usually coloured by a combination of poor knowledge of the laws of the game as they currently are (as opposed to what they were in the good ol' days, or what people think they should be), poor view of events that they have seen once, and fan bias/the tribal culture of football. We had them last season, too, and the season before.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
There is a thread every week that we don't win, regardless of the ref's actual performance, which is usually coloured by a combination of poor knowledge of the laws of the game as they currently are (as opposed to what they were in the good ol' days, or what people think they should be), poor view of events that they have seen once, and fan bias/the tribal culture of football. We had them last season, too, and the season before.

It will be good to no longer see the threads as it means that you have put a decent run together, but whether that is with the present manager remains to be seen (and personally I dont think it can as the modern game has shown that constant change generally works bar one off's like Fergy)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, Lualua being in space is the advantage.

When you play advantage there becomes a certain point when it is too late to fairly pull play back. Lualua had a chance to shoot, instead he set up a chance for two other players who didn't react quickly enough, a scramble to clear it led to the ball falling to Gardner in a good position. That is four goal scoring opportunities we were given, if the ref then pulled it back and gave us a fifth chance with a penalty it wouldn't be fair. The foul wasn't particularly violent or cynical.

I imagine if the ref had known how it would have played out he would have given the penalty rather than the advantage, but once he allowed play to continue until we'd had four good chances to score, he couldn't bring it back.

If a team was mildly fouled by us, play continued and they wasted four opportunities, then the ref pulled it back, we wouldn't be happy. We'd say they had their chances, it's not our fault they wasted their advantage.

May not have been cynical, but it was a foul as the co-Commentator and Anderton mentioned (in the sense he should have gone down).

the advantage is the cross that goes in. Bounced around dangerously as you stated, which is not an advantage as nothing came of it, so it should get pulled back. The Gardner shot is not relevant as by then it is too late.

Watch it again and then look at when the ref applied it to Bournemouth late in the second half.

Surely you would agree that a cross is less an advantage than a penalty?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It will be good to no longer see the threads as it means that you have put a decent run together, but whether that is with the present manager remains to be seen (and personally I dont think it can as the modern game has shown that constant change generally works bar one off's like Fergy)

Even Fergy isn't exactly a modern example. When was the last time his job was really under threat? He was kept on despite poor form at a time when a lot of teams would have had the same patience. He then went on to win the premier league pretty much 2 out of every three years until he retired.

When we win, we sometimes get threads praising the refs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
May not have been cynical, but it was a foul as the co-Commentator and Anderton mentioned (in the sense he should have gone down).

the advantage is the cross that goes in. Bounced around dangerously as you stated, which is not an advantage as nothing came of it, so it should get pulled back. The Gardner shot is not relevant as by then it is too late.

Watch it again and then look at when the ref applied it to Bournemouth late in the second half.

Surely you would agree that a cross is less an advantage than a penalty?

It honestly depends on the quality of the cross. A dangerous ball across the six yard box with two men running onto it is just as good a chance as a shot from twelve yards out. The advantage is the whole passage of play, it is about possession and goal scoring opportunities. We had four goal scoring opportunities from the advantage.

If we had scored we'd be complimenting a great advantage being played. If we were given a penalty and missed it we'd be complaining about the lack of advantage with Lualua in a great position to shoot or cross for someone to have a shot from 6 yards rather than 12.

It is only viewed as a poor decision because we didn't score. The thought behind the decision by the ref is perfect sound. It was the right decision in a situation where there is more than one right decision and whichever one you choose can potentially seem wrong with hindsight.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It honestly depends on the quality of the cross. A dangerous ball across the six yard box with two men running onto it is just as good a chance as a shot from twelve yards out. The advantage is the whole passage of play, it is about possession and goal scoring opportunities. We had four goal scoring opportunities from the advantage.

If we had scored we'd be complimenting a great advantage being played. If we were given a penalty and missed it we'd be complaining about the lack of advantage with Lualua in a great position to shoot or cross for someone to have a shot from 6 yards rather than 12.

It is only viewed as a poor decision because we didn't score. The thought behind the decision by the ref is perfect sound. It was the right decision in a situation where there is more than one right decision and whichever one you choose can potentially seem wrong with hindsight.

I agree with all of the above, but, the bottom line is, any advantaged that the ref deemed possible, was not realised therefore he should have pulled it back.

Of course KLL didn't have much of an angle to shoot.

We may have to agree to disagree.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The degree of the foul whether it was bad of slight is immaterial a foul is a foul or not and if so and if in the box it is a penalty.

Only partly true. When it comes to playing the advantage, whether an obvious goal scoring opportunity is denied or not, etc, the severity of the foul is one of the determining factors.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here