Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ref today

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I think players and fans lose respect for refs and the Premier League when they bring in new directives like the yellow card for time wasting and it is applied religiously for about 3 games and then seems to arbitrary applied from then on. The same could be said for handballs - how Luton got one yesterday is beyond me.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed. Thought he was fine. But football fans will be partisan. Officials, VAR, etc are always an easy target.
If anyone thinks that ref performance was better than the one we witnessed on Thursday, then I feel for them.
I enjoyed the game. Having been found out in the first half, we were great in the second.
The yardstick is not Thursday’s ref. If we’d lost today the comments about the inconsistent reffing today would be far more damning than they have been. Inconsistent refs SHOULD be called out and that’s exactly what he was until the last 10 mins. If you think he was “fine” then I feel for you :smile:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
They should've had 2 or 3 bookings for booting the ball away and the like. Some of the free kick calls were garbage.

But no VAR farce, no major incorrect decisions that affected the outcome.. I feel that's about as much as we can hope for.
The only issue is the yellows are adding up. We have had a few of the new rules yellows which is fair enough as those are the new rules. But they are hardly ever done for the other team. Thought Wolves away was going to be the way it would be reffed from now on and players would learn. But most refs have forgotten already - until one of our players does it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Rubbish. But better than that idiot on Thursday, to be fair.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Usual PL rubbish.

Nothing changes, but we all continue to be surprised by the different levels of incompetence.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Inconsistent. Not bad by ay means, and got the decisions right - just inconsistent with choosing when and when not to book players.
And that’s the annoying part. They time wasted from very early yet booked one of ours at the first sign of it - reason: it was the 2nd half….!

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
The most ridiculous example of not applying the yellow card appropriately was when he stopped play to allow one of their players to get treatment. He asked their player to give the ball back to him for the drop ball. The player was obviously talking to him then threw the ball over the referee’s head towards the linesman. Delaying any possibility of the drop ball restart and clear dissent. Dunk did point it out but there was no response. Dunk throws the ball away and after they ask four the card it is given!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Had a poor game for both sides. Very inconsistent with punishing dissent/time wasting. 5/10.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You’re doing Atwell and Hooper a disservice.
Think Hooper is one of the best. Which says more about the others if honest

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The only issue is the yellows are adding up. We have had a few of the new rules yellows which is fair enough as those are the new rules. But they are hardly ever done for the other team. Thought Wolves away was going to be the way it would be reffed from now on and players would learn. But most refs have forgotten already - until one of our players does it.
Hadn’t really thought about this before but teams that are in front are probably going to suffer most with the way they’re handling this now. Still the usual reluctance to punish sides that sit back and aim to kill time from the start but very quick with the yellows against anyone protecting a lead - as we saw with Dunk. Being successful is going to make things quite tough on the disciplinary front.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Very fussy about throw ins being taken in the exact place etc but seemingly oblivious to B’muff having 3 men in our half at a kick off…

Attachments

• IMG_6693.png
    IMG_6693.png
    754.8 KB · Views: 43

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’ve been on here in recent weeks defending refs, so I feel justified in saying todays was very poor. Numerous times Bournemouth players threw or kicked the ball away, albeit subtlety and got away with it, dunk arguably does it one time and is straight in the book.

Not wrong to book veltman for dissent but veltman was completely right to point out he was being fouled persistently, which the ref did nothing about.

Absolute bottlejob.
Agree with everything apart from "arguably" in Dunk's case. That was deliberate (and necessary) .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here